Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Playoff Seeding

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    What's wrong with rewarding them by giving them a playoff spot but then seeding based on record? Why should the 13-3 team that happens to share a division with a 14-2 team get the short end of the stick in all this?
    I think there’s an argument for it.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

The NBA reseeds by record and still lets division champs in and no one seems to have an issue with it. Why can't the NFL do the same?
    I'm guessing it's because no one really cares about the divisions/the schedule is longer so the divisional rivalries feel less important because you play everyone anyone. Divisional rivals in the NFL make up a quarter of your schedule, so in the truncated schedule it feels more impacting/the rivalry is better
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

The NBA reseeds by record and still lets division champs in and no one seems to have an issue with it. Why can't the NFL do the same?
    My guess is probably because there is more parity in the NFL than in the NBA. Back in the day with the NFL you could probably make that argument but ever since FA the NFL has become far more balanced as opposed to the NBA.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I'm guessing it's because no one really cares about the divisions/the schedule is longer so the divisional rivalries feel less important because you play everyone anyone. Divisional rivals in the NFL make up a quarter of your schedule, so in the truncated schedule it feels more impacting/the rivalry is better
    Division winners get rewarded because it’s impossible to have a balanced schedule. It’s not balanced in the NBA, but at least they can play every team each season at least twice. Divisions are important in the NFL because it dictates schedule and delineates a fairer outcome for those four teams based on their, mostly, shared schedule. The four teams in each division are paired more fairly against each other than they are against four teams from a division they didn’t even play.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Division winners get rewarded because it’s impossible to have a balanced schedule. It’s not balanced in the NBA, but at least they can play every team each season at least twice. Divisions are important in the NFL because it dictates schedule and delineates a fairer outcome for those four teams based on their, mostly, shared schedule. The four teams in each division are paired more fairly against each other than they are against four teams from a division they didn’t even play.
    At the end of the day, if your system is allowing teams with losing records to get into the playoffs and host playoff games, there is something inherently wrong with your system. The punishment for having a losing record should outweigh the reward for winning your division. It just should.

At the end of the day, if your system is allowing teams with losing records to get into the playoffs and host playoff games, there is something inherently wrong with your system. The punishment for having a losing record should outweigh the reward for winning your division. It just should.
    Which is where my compromised proposal comes in. But I find yours to be interesting. This is a fun theoretical discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I don’t agree that there’s something wrong with the system. I think it’s inherently unfair but I don’t see a fairer way to dole out schedules. I’m ok with blowing up divisions and making the top six teams in each conference the playoff teams, seeded accordingly, but that creates a lot of scheduling problems. So you shift the unfairness of the system from the records to the schedule. It doesn’t eliminate unfair outcomes, it just shifts the problem.

I’d be OK with reseeding the six teams who make it. I’m not ok, with the divisional system, of not rewarding the division winner at all.

8. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Which is where my compromised proposal comes in. But I find yours to be interesting. This is a fun theoretical discussion.
    In a way, things we better back when there were only 3 divisions per conference, and I think this is why this works better in the NBA. With 3 divisions and 6 playoff teams, the top wildcard team is guaranteed to host a game every year, because you have to have 4 teams get a home game in the current format. So that protects the occasional team that is a juggernaut but is in a division with another great team. Our own 97 Broncos benefited from this. KC won the division and we hosted as the top wild card in round 1.

The other perk of having fewer divisions is that with more teams in each division, there is a way smaller chance that all of them have losing records.

Unfortunately with 32 teams you can't split the divisions evenly that way, so you'd have to either expand to 36 teams or contract to 30.

10. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I’d be OK with reseeding the six teams who make it. I’m not ok, with the divisional system, of not rewarding the division winner at all.
    Then we're mostly on the same page. I'd eventually like to get to a point in which we get rid of divisions, but I'm ok with this compromise in the mean time.

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

It would never get off the ground. Maybe you present the radical option and negotiate down to the middle ground, but that eventual change would never happen without being eased into.
    If I'm the one presenting options to an owner's group, I'd rather argue the transformation option than the limp dick home-field advantage option. So many instances of a #5 or #7 team snubbed that would raise league revenue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I don’t agree that there’s something wrong with the system. I think it’s inherently unfair but I don’t see a fairer way to dole out schedules. I’m ok with blowing up divisions and making the top six teams in each conference the playoff teams, seeded accordingly, but that creates a lot of scheduling problems. So you shift the unfairness of the system from the records to the schedule. It doesn’t eliminate unfair outcomes, it just shifts the problem.

I'd love to argue this one to the owner's group vs MO...
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

15. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yea, down with 7-9 scrubs!

Honestly, this was top of mind when I made my post. I grew up in Seattle and follow Seattle teams.

Also, 88 or 89 Seahawks...should have made the playoffs. They had just beat eventual SB champ NY Giants and would have allowed Largent, Krieg, Easley, and Warner to become legends.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    If I'm the one presenting options to an owner's group, I'd rather argue the transformation option than the limp dick home-field advantage option. So many instances of a #5 or #7 team snubbed that would raise league revenue.
    Things happen slowly in the NFL. Look at the kickoff. They want badly to eliminate it. But they couldn't just do it overnight. They had to change the rules first to make them basically irrelevant. Then eventually they can phase it out.

They aren't just going to get rid of divisions or completely remove playoff status from division champs overnight.

If anything they'll expand the playoffs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Things happen slowly in the NFL. Look at the kickoff. They want badly to eliminate it. But they couldn't just do it overnight. They had to change the rules first to make them basically irrelevant. Then eventually they can phase it out.

They aren't just going to get rid of divisions or completely remove playoff status from division champs overnight.

If anything they'll expand the playoffs.
    Money talks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

NFC East is awesome.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information