Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Lock is the starter

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

With Flacco we were averaging 15.625 points/game

With Allen: 16.66

In one game with Lock we scored 23, although only 3/quarter after that first quarter. So. . is 23 the right number, or something closer to 12 (3/quarter X 4 quarters)? We'll see as the sample increases.

2. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All that matters is that he flashed ability and talent. That's all you can ask out of most rookie QB's. What would his average had been if Hamilton doesn't drop that ball and goes down the field, probably for a 20 yard TD? It's speculative, I get it. What would his YPA have been had there not been PI against Sutton on that last throw? Sutton probably catches that ball. Speculative again, but I'm just saying.
    ^This

All i want to see is if he is competent, can make plays, accuracy, and leadership. Even if we lose out if shows those qualities im all in on him and so far he has shown a lot of that already.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    With Flacco we were averaging 15.625 points/game

With Allen: 16.66

In one game with Lock we scored 23, although only 3/quarter after that first quarter. So. . is 23 the right number, or something closer to 12 (3/quarter X 4 quarters)? We'll see as the sample increases.
    And we did that while handcuffing Lock with probably the most conservative playcalling of the season.

And he did that while responding better to pressure than either Allen or Flacco did.

We should unchain the offense as much as possible and just let him learn. I don't care if we go out there and have a bad offensive performance. The team gains long term because the QBofF gains experience. It's time to style, NTL. It's time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Is rather he flash a lil and put up acceptable numbers as opposed to defeat where he looked terrible and wed have to 'give him time'
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

And we did that while handcuffing Lock with probably the most conservative playcalling of the season.

And he did that while responding better to pressure than either Allen or Flacco did.

We should unchain the offense as much as possible and just let him learn. I don't care if we go out there and have a bad offensive performance. The team gains long term because the QBofF gains experience. It's time to style, NTL. It's time.

I'm hopeful for the future. I'm just tempering my expectations for the next 16 - 20 games. He's showed us one good quarter that included a spectacular catch that even Sutton probably only comes down with 2-3 times out of 10.

I'm worried that we're pinning so much to his success that he gets drummed out before he even gets a chance to get going.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

I'm hopeful for the future. I'm just tempering my expectations for the next 16 - 20 games. He's showed us one good quarter that included a spectacular catch that even Sutton probably only comes down with 2-3 times out of 10.

I'm worried that we're pinning so much to his success that he gets drummed out before he even gets a chance to get going.

I don't think he was that that successful overall, but I think it was a good first step to lead the team. He has had only couple weeks of true practice since Sep, half of which he was 3rd string for. He got only 75% of the reps in practice last week so chemistry and timing is still a thing.....as well as being given a decent playbook to work with. What I saw was a team that was energized far more then even in week 1 with Flacco when everyone was team speaking about his calm demeanor.....blah blah blah....The kid has confidence, and consistent arm talent that we haven't seen in along time in Denver, that was clear, he also didn't panic under pressure and he made some good reads. His int was a typical rookie mistake forcing a ball where he shouldn't.....

Overall though I saw more promise from a talent perspective from him then anything I have seen in Denver in awhile....I'm excited and I like that we play Houston and KC, they are big test for the kid…..Its going to hurt a bit if we win from a draft perspective, but long term it should solidify the QB situation if he plays well....I personally think he will.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I don't think our thoughts, expectations, dreams, or feelings will have any impact on his career.

11. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

On that play the pass was perfect and Sutton's other arm was held. If Sutton didn't catch it I presume PI would have been called as sometimes refs don't bother to throw the flags in those scenarios.

If PI wasn't called after the fact, then that would have been a blown call. Sutton's other arm was literally grabbed and held.

In other quarters I don't know who would have done better with those calls? Scangs shat all over the kid. Hey, we just got a turnover. Run it three times up the gut with Freeman out of the I formation. When lock was given the chance to succeed he did, sans the one INT. Lord knows the infinite screens and dumpoffs, or what felt like infinite screens and dumpoffs were mixed; on one hand they help pad that completion percentage and on the other they were ineffective and killed his YPA and conversion rates.

The only way we can hurt him is if we refuse to let him play big boy football. Maybe he can't have the entire playbook opened up, I get it he's young. But do as much as possible to help him out. We've already seen that Lock, unlike Flacco, can get shit done throwing the ball down the field.

PI was commited by SD because Sutton was going to catch that bomb and run out of bounds. That was an A+ throw by Lock. That first TD to Sutton was on the money. Great job. That second TD to Sutton was also a nice play and read. Lock even spotted a time where the dumpoff looked uncovered but actually was, and then directed traffic down the field for a first down. The announcers called it out.

He showed a great deal of maturity in that one game. Make no mistake about it, he flashed his first round talent. And I fully expect or one more awful games from him. Someone's going to get a pick six off of him. Someone's going to force a fumble from behind. He's going to hold onto the ball too long and take a bad sack. He's going to throw a ball down the field for a pick. He's going to have some plays that will be ATROCIOUS.

But TS never flashed potential. Lynch never did. Keenum never flashed anything here. Flacco had a handful of nice throws. Lock already bested them all.

When he struggles we should be patient. And those who are not will face the wrath of the Optimistic King!
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I don't think our thoughts, expectations, dreams, or feelings will have any impact on his career.
    When NTL says we, I think he means the organization and Lock's peers.

14. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    I don't think he was that that successful overall, but I think it was a good first step to lead the team. He has had only couple weeks of true practice since Sep, half of which he was 3rd string for. He got only 75% of the reps in practice last week so chemistry and timing is still a thing.....as well as being given a decent playbook to work with. What I saw was a team that was energized far more then even in week 1 with Flacco when everyone was team speaking about his calm demeanor.....blah blah blah....The kid has confidence, and consistent arm talent that we haven't seen in along time in Denver, that was clear, he also didn't panic under pressure and he made some good reads. His int was a typical rookie mistake forcing a ball where he shouldn't.....

Overall though I saw more promise from a talent perspective from him then anything I have seen in Denver in awhile....I'm excited and I like that we play Houston and KC, they are big test for the kid…..Its going to hurt a bit if we win from a draft perspective, but long term it should solidify the QB situation if he plays well....I personally think he will.

I would like nothing more than to play houston and lose 49 to 44. I would also like to the chefs on a punt return into fg range for a game winning fg kick- score 31 to 28.
    But really- I would like to win out. My brain says lose out and get the better draft slot since we cannot make the playoffs but look at what JImmy G did for San Fran. They won their last 5 with him as their QB- and this year they are one of the best teams. Id like to have Drew "put the AFC in the hurt" Locker roll with a lot of momentum!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

16. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post

If 50,000 some odd fans take to to booing when they show up (leaving the other 28,000 seats empty like Sunday) because they're impatient with him, it might have an effect.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

If 50,000 some odd fans take to to booing when they show up (leaving the other 28,000 seats empty like Sunday) because they're impatient with him, it might have an effect.
    Maybe, but if there is improvement and reason for hope it won't happen.

There is literally no downside risk to starting Lock this season and next regardless of how he may struggle this season.

First, we cannot know how good Lock is from watching him in only 5 games with this crappy team. People complain about the conservative play-calling, but do you seriously expect Garrett Bolles and this OL to be able to block 5 and 7 step drops against Bosa and Ingram? Not a chance. Lock would get his head taken off and his spleen crushed if they took a more aggressive stance in the 2nd half.

They have had to SCHEME to take advantage of certain players just to get the few big plays they did have. They haven't the talent to just line up and try and throw the ball downfield and expect anything to happen but a sack or holding penalty or strip-fumble or INT.

Brock Osweiler looked good in 5 games in 2015, so good the Texans gave him a $37m guaranteed contract. Obviously that wasn't a big enough sample size.

But what is the alternative? Draft a QB with your top 10 pick? There's no point! They won't know by then if Drew Lock can be their long term answer or not.

They will desperately need a LT and an elite CB to replace Chris Harris and a RT to replace Juwuan James who is not "emotionally ready" to play. They will need a DL to replace Wolfe and possibly a S to replace Simmons since all are UFAs due to Elway's stupidity in not re-signing players BEFORE they reach FA like other teams routinely do.

They will need a really GOOD C to replace McGovern and a RG to replace the always injured Ron Leary. They can't rely on Bryce Callahan or Isaac Yiadom to be their #2 CB either, and they have no decent WRs outside of Sutton. None of their TEs is great either and they can't count on Jake Butt. None of their ILBs can cover TEs or RBs over the middle and they need an upgrade for Todd Davis for coverage skills.

They could use about 10 first round draft picks just to rebuild the team from scratch. Might as well stick with Drew Lock and try and develop him for a year.

20. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Almost half a post before CtrlCV.

C- for effort.
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

But TS never flashed potential.

Bologna. TS flashed potential. That's about all he did, but he did flash. To wit: Week 2 of 2017 vs. Dallas, he threw 4 Tds and we scored 42 points. The first TD on this highlight reel from the game (at 0:58 mark) was just a tremendous throw.

My point being, flashing potential is just that. Even Trevor Siemian flashed for a moment.

23. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information