Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Northman's 2020 NFL Mock Draft Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    They are if you want them to start this year...which should be a first round draft goal for a 7-9 team
    Definitely not proposing we draft ether at 15, but Jackson especially intrigues me in a move back to say the 20-23 range

2. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Definitely not proposing we draft ether at 15, but Jackson especially intrigues me in a move back to say the 20-23 range
    What do we gain from a trade back? Justification to draft a lesser player or a project? Additional picks in a draft where we already have more than we can use? I just don't see a good reason to move back unless the deal includes a player we can use or a potentially high pick next year. I'd think we are more likely to use our current capital to try and move up for a player...whether that be a receiver or OL the team covets.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

What do we gain from a trade back? Justification to draft a lesser player or a project? Additional picks in a draft where we already have more than we can use? I just don't see a good reason to move back unless the deal includes a player we can use or a potentially high pick next year. I'd think we are more likely to use our current capital to try and move up for a player...whether that be a receiver or OL the team covets.
    The only player I'd move back for is Kenneth Murray. That's only because CURRENTLY he fills a pretty big need and his projections are early 20s. I'm also a believer in getting your guy. If we want Murray, get him at 15. IF that's Elway's guy...

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    The only player I'd move back for is Kenneth Murray. That's only because CURRENTLY he fills a pretty big need and his projections are early 20s. I'm also a believer in getting your guy. If we want Murray, get him at 15. IF that's Elway's guy...
    i've always been for getting the best player at a position of need. If we're at 15 and our needs are WR, OL, LB and CB and we have Murray as the highest rated player left on the board, then go for it. If it's Ruggs...go for it. But based on overall rating and need, the #3 WR might trump the #1 ILB or the #2 OL. Really just depends on where their focus is.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

When there isnt a guy on your board that fits a need without reaching and you dont like the talent left at 15, you can trade back a bit still get 1st rd talent and some extra draft capital......It worked last year, thats why it should always be on the table....either way in the end its still a crapshoot, the guy you pick at 15 can bust just as bad as the guy you get in the 20-25 range.....
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

8. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I’m definitely no draftnik like most of you guys but trading back is always such a huge risk especially when you have a ton If picks already (like we do). The rookie wage scale pretty much makes it possible just to get your guy without worrying about Jawalrus Russell regret or Sam Bradford syndrome. If you want a guy, either go up and get him or take him when he falls to you but trying to trade back a few spots to lower a salary a small amount and get another 4th round pick that will be spent on a player that likely won’t make the team at the risk of not getting your guy is foolish IMO.

Elway worked the trade back well last year but we also got very lucky in that Fant was there and Risner and Lock were still in a position to grab them. Doing it regularly invites missed opportunities and bad drafts where you end up settling for your second or third option.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

10. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I’m definitely no draftnik like most of you guys but trading back is always such a huge risk especially when you have a ton If picks already (like we do). The rookie wage scale pretty much makes it possible just to get your guy without worrying about Jawalrus Russell regret or Sam Bradford syndrome. If you want a guy, either go up and get him or take him when he falls to you but trying to trade back a few spots to lower a salary a small amount and get another 4th round pick that will be spent on a player that likely won’t make the team at the risk of not getting your guy is foolish IMO.

Elway worked the trade back well last year but we also got very lucky in that Fant was there and Risner and Lock were still in a position to grab them. Doing it regularly invites missed opportunities and bad drafts where you end up settling for your second or third option.
    New England Would say otherwise......

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I am usually loath to trade back, just asking, if the T’s are gone I’m Down to move back.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Michael Pierce to be our next target.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    New England Would say otherwise......
    Okay, so name some Patriots not named Brady who were successful move back and draft candidates. Their overwhelming success completely overshadows it, but the Patriots haven’t drafted very well (especially in the early rounds) in quite some time. Their success is being able to get guys to play to their strengths instead of trying to fit them into something they aren’t good at and picking up/trading for FAs that may have flamed out elsewhere but is now playing up to their potential.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

15. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Okay, so name some Patriots not named Brady who were successful move back and draft candidates. Their overwhelming success completely overshadows it, but the Patriots haven’t drafted very well (especially in the early rounds) in quite some time. Their success is being able to get guys to play to their strengths instead of trying to fit them into something they aren’t good at and picking up/trading for FAs that may have flamed out elsewhere but is now playing up to their potential.
    I have stated its a crapshoot and a guy at 15 can bust just like a guy at 25.....The patriots and the ravens to extent trade back instead of reaching for a player at a so called position of need, they do it consistently to obtain more capital, the point isn't who the player is they take...I'ts why they do it to begin with and its because draft capital is key to team building when done right. We saw it last year when we solved 3 holes in becasue of one trade back....We absolutely reached for Bolles for example at OT. It doesnt matter he was the first one taken that year it was a reach and we see why. We should have simply gone anothe route or traded back if we didnt like the value there instead of reaching....

if the value is on point for murray at 25 but not at 15.....but you dont want to reach for a OT because the good ones are gone you trade back and get more capital to have more draft felxibility....
    There is a reason many good teams have traded back when they dont like whats left at their spot or they get a really good call for a player a team wants to trade up for they didnt really care about.

Thats the point about NE.....I dont argue what players cause bust happen often at all rds of the draft, the point is why they do it....
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 03-17-2020 at 08:27 PM.

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

It's a simple game of assets and value. If you remove names and emotion, the strategy is to gain said assets at the best value you can. As mentioned in another post, it's why Belichick is so damn good. Zero emotion. All business. He treats his players like stocks and uses/deals them accordingly.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

There are several reasons that I would trade back. if all of my first are offense of tackles are gone. I don't necessarily love that first group of wide receivers more than the second tier of wide receivers like Aiyuk and Reagor. Lastly if Brown Kinlaw and Simmons are all gone then who do you love?

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

I think Jackson has as much upside as any of the tackles. People forget he was a bone marrow donor this year and couldn't even work out early.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    I think Jackson has as much upside as any of the tackles. People forget he was a bone marrow donor this year and couldn't even work out early.
    People are sleeping on him. I mentioned him here alot before the bechton's and Wirfs and willis's of the world blew up.....At one point he was thought to be behind Thomas in the top 10. He is a tad Raw, perfect to work under Munchak as a swing tackle next year before replacing Bolles or James the following year. He has a elite franchise LT skillset, people here are sleeping on him big time.....As is the media and mainstream draft community.

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information