Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54

Thread: Broncos coach Vic Fangio: Starting rookie Drew Lock among QB options

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,
    Posts
    45,159

    Default Broncos coach Vic Fangio: Starting rookie Drew Lock among QB options

    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos coach Vic Fangio says "everything is on the table" when it comes to the quarterback position, including starting rookie Drew Lock this week.

    Fangio's remark comes five days after the first-year head coach said it was not "vitally important" for Lock to play this season.

    The change of heart follows the team's historically bad offensive performance Sunday. Denver compiled just 134 yards of offense in a 20-3 loss to the Buffalo Bills -- the lowest single-game total for the Broncos since 1992 and the eighth-worst single-game total in the franchise's history.
    rest - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ock-qb-options

    Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

  2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Adopted Bronco:
    Alexander Johnson
    Posts
    4,276

    Default

    Defenses have figured out Brandon Weeden, and he simply doesn't have enough to his game to consistently challenge NFL defenses. Starting Lock gives the team the best opportunity to move the football. Ju'wan James has been cleared to play as well, but whether or not he lasts an entire game is another question entirely.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Adopted Bronco:
    C Kelly
    Posts
    23,026

    Default

    they are going to ruin Drew before he even takes a live snap.

  5. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Adopted Bronco:
    Alexander Johnson
    Posts
    4,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    they are going to ruin Drew before he even takes a live snap.
    Elaborate?

  7. #5

    Default

    7 Qbs since 2017, pretty much sums up why we are where we are.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Adopted Bronco:
    C Kelly
    Posts
    23,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Elaborate?
    If you are starting a rookie qb, the best thing is to have them throw maybe 15-20 times per game and rely on the run to move the ball until he gets used to the live game in the NFL.

    If they have Drew throwing 25-30 times, consider the kid ruined, because the coaches dont know how to protect the development of qbs or their players.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen
    Posts
    95,014

    Default

    I don’t think there’s any change of heart. He said it wasn’t vitally important, not that he wouldn’t play. But I still think they’re setting it up for him not to. I don’t understand what can change between now and Wednesday or Thursday. Make a decision, you’ve had three weeks.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I love the Shitgun.

  10. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wolfe
    Posts
    38,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    I sure hope they start him. I think it IS vitally important to know whether we're taking QB with our #1 or not.

    I also think there's no reason to watch anymore beyond hoping to see growth, development, and improvement. So.... Bring on Lock!

  12. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:


  13. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    If you are starting a rookie qb, the best thing is to have them throw maybe 15-20 times per game and rely on the run to move the ball until he gets used to the live game in the NFL.

    If they have Drew throwing 25-30 times, consider the kid ruined, because the coaches dont know how to protect the development of qbs or their players.
    This is pure nonsense. IF he's such a delicate flower that starting behind a bad football team will "ruin him" then he's obviously not the guy!

    Is Sam Darnold "ruined" because he had to start for a horrible Jets team with a miserable OL? No. He's had some rough starts; his learning curve has been spotty but if you saw last game he looked pretty good in crushing the Raiders season.

    First of all there is no plan to make Lock the franchise QB, there never was. Elway picked him AFTER he had already signed Joe Flacco to be the starter for the next 3 years while Drew Lock sits on the bench, cause Joe Flacco "is in his prime." Lock was only supposed to start AFTER Flacco and Elway both retired. That was the Elway plan.

    I might want to see Lock and so might most fans, but Elway and Fangio clearly don't. His injury was NOT bad enough to put him on IR, so why was he on IR in the first place? They didn't put Bryce Callahan on IR though he couldn't play all year due to injury. You keep hearing "Juwuan James could play this week or next" then they trot out Juwuan James and he lasts 1 series before he has to miss another 4 games. Yet HE doesn't go on IR!

    Why Drew Lock? He could have been practicing over 1 month ago, he could have been starting back in October.

    "He's not ready." Well, so what? The team lost their first 4 games with Flacco. Flacco obviously by that point was NOT "in his prime." No team in NFL history has lost their first 4 and then made the playoffs? Why would the Broncos be the first? There was literally nothing to accomplish this season OTHER THAN to see if Drew Lock could play. So, why the reluctance to do it?

    "We were encouraged by Brandon Allen." What kind of insane nonsense is this?

    Brandon Allen is a total scrub. Former 6th round QB who has bounced around the league. Let's not forget who this guy is: "Allen was was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the sixth round (201st overall) in the 2016 NFL Draft. The Jaguars third-string quarterback sat in rookie season behind Blake Bortles and Chad Henne. Inactive all year, he was waived by the Jaguars on September 3, 2017, following final roster cuts for the 2017 season."

    He was picked up by the Rams, as the third stringer behind Sean Mannion and was inactive all year. Cut by the Rams he was picked up off waivers by the Broncos on 9/1. He's the ultimate scrub backup who is lucky to have a job in the NFL.

    It's a sign of the pathetic QB parade that fans were ready to think that Brandon Allen had some kind of chance to be good. The fact Fangio was talking positives about Brandon Allen, and the fact that Fangio clearly STILL PREFERS TO START ALLEN this Sunday, is simply proof that he doesn't think much of Drew Lock.

    It's literally insane. You have a total scrub who the team has ZERO commitment to, and who NOBODY in the NFL has ever given a second thought and HE's the guy Fangio wants?

    Every NFL rookie who is seriously in their team's plans starts. They start as soon as possible because you have to train them to GET good. It's not a job players come into the league knowing. They have to learn, and often while they are learning they suck and the team loses.

    So, why haven't the Broncos started Drew Lock already? Why the endless stupid nonsense about "he's not ready"?

  14. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    This is pure nonsense. IF he's such a delicate flower that starting behind a bad football team will "ruin him" then he's obviously not the guy!

    Is Sam Darnold "ruined" because he had to start for a horrible Jets team with a miserable OL? No. He's had some rough starts; his learning curve has been spotty but if you saw last game he looked pretty good in crushing the Raiders season.

    First of all there is no plan to make Lock the franchise QB, there never was. Elway picked him AFTER he had already signed Joe Flacco to be the starter for the next 3 years while Drew Lock sits on the bench, cause Joe Flacco "is in his prime." Lock was only supposed to start AFTER Flacco and Elway both retired. That was the Elway plan.

    I might want to see Lock and so might most fans, but Elway and Fangio clearly don't. His injury was NOT bad enough to put him on IR, so why was he on IR in the first place? They didn't put Bryce Callahan on IR though he couldn't play all year due to injury. You keep hearing "Juwuan James could play this week or next" then they trot out Juwuan James and he lasts 1 series before he has to miss another 4 games. Yet HE doesn't go on IR!

    Why Drew Lock? He could have been practicing over 1 month ago, he could have been starting back in October.

    "He's not ready." Well, so what? The team lost their first 4 games with Flacco. Flacco obviously by that point was NOT "in his prime." No team in NFL history has lost their first 4 and then made the playoffs? Why would the Broncos be the first? There was literally nothing to accomplish this season OTHER THAN to see if Drew Lock could play. So, why the reluctance to do it?

    "We were encouraged by Brandon Allen." What kind of insane nonsense is this?

    Brandon Allen is a total scrub. Former 6th round QB who has bounced around the league. Let's not forget who this guy is: "Allen was was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the sixth round (201st overall) in the 2016 NFL Draft. The Jaguars third-string quarterback sat in rookie season behind Blake Bortles and Chad Henne. Inactive all year, he was waived by the Jaguars on September 3, 2017, following final roster cuts for the 2017 season."

    He was picked up by the Rams, as the third stringer behind Sean Mannion and was inactive all year. Cut by the Rams he was picked up off waivers by the Broncos on 9/1. He's the ultimate scrub backup who is lucky to have a job in the NFL.

    It's a sign of the pathetic QB parade that fans were ready to think that Brandon Allen had some kind of chance to be good. The fact Fangio was talking positives about Brandon Allen, and the fact that Fangio clearly STILL PREFERS TO START ALLEN this Sunday, is simply proof that he doesn't think much of Drew Lock.

    It's literally insane. You have a total scrub who the team has ZERO commitment to, and who NOBODY in the NFL has ever given a second thought and HE's the guy Fangio wants?

    Every NFL rookie who is seriously in their team's plans starts. They start as soon as possible because you have to train them to GET good. It's not a job players come into the league knowing. They have to learn, and often while they are learning they suck and the team loses.

    So, why haven't the Broncos started Drew Lock already? Why the endless stupid nonsense about "he's not ready"?
    Tldr

  15. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:


  16. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I sure hope they start him. I think it IS vitally important to know whether we're taking QB with our #1 or not.

    I also think there's no reason to watch anymore beyond hoping to see growth, development, and improvement. So.... Bring on Lock!
    Of course, everything you say here is not only true; it's so obvious the most casual fan can see it. So, why has their been such reluctance all season to even practice Drew Lock? Why all the idiot lies and feeble deception?

    "He's not ready because he's missed so much practice!" Well, the team could have been practicing him in late September, early October. He's been throwing on the side since late September. He could have been kept on the active roster all along.

    They STILL are undecided whether to activate him at all! Fangio clearly doesn't want anything to do with Drew Lock. He has resisted every single question that might have drawn some praise for Lock in his pressers and poured cold water all over every suggestion that its time to get him ready.

    "It's not important" for them to see anything from Drew Lock this season, and somehow fans think the team is committed to him?

    Well, maybe Elway still is committed to his second round pick, but Fangio clearly isn't.

    Why else would he prefer Brandon Allen who is just flat terrible?

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    World of Suck.
    Adopted Bronco:
    F’ing John Elway
    Posts
    24,550

    Default

    Huge mistake, he won’t look like Mahomes right away and they/fans will write him off immediately.

    #WeGottaSeeWhatWeHaveInBrentRypien
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “Look at this ... look at what they make you give”
    “I’m just different!”

    Obinna Eze LT. Shaun Wade CB. Eric Stokes CB. Micah Parsons ILB. Travis Etienne RB. Dylan Moses ILB. Patrick Surtain CB. Hamsah Nasirildeen S. Trey Smith G/T. Paulson Adebo CB. Tyler Shelvin NT. Alex Leatherwood LT. Caleb Farley CB. Jackson Carmen LT. Trey Sermon RB. Myron Cunningham LT. Hamilcar Rasheed OLB. Cameron McGrone ILB. Daniel Faalele RT.

  18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Jaded For This Post:


  19. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Huge mistake, he won’t look like Mahomes right away and they/fans will write him off immediately.

    #WeGottaSeeWhatWeHaveInBrentRypien
    Will the Broncos be "forced" to put him in by fan and media pressure amid as the losses keep piling up and the utter failure of Brandon Allen continues?

    Then they can say "see! He's not ready!" And go back to Joe Flacco, or some other veteran QB next season? That's literally the only reason I can think of they haven't already started Drew Lock.

    Brandon Allen had a 32 passer rating. What's to figure out? Nobody in the NFL ever thought he was better than a 3rd string QB who couldn't beat out such NFL stars as Chad Henne and Sean Mannion. So, what insane brain fart made Fangio choose him as the starter when Flacco went down?

    The fact we're having this conversation about a 3-8 football team on its way to 3-13 or 4-12 is just flat nuts. Every other NFL team would be playing Drew Lock by now if their starter got hurt if they had drafted him in the 2nd round.

    It's painfully evident by now, if it wasn't before, that Brandon Allen isn't going to get any better.
    Last edited by Cugel; 11-25-2019 at 09:32 PM.

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    World of Suck.
    Adopted Bronco:
    F’ing John Elway
    Posts
    24,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Will the Broncos be "forced" to put him in by fan and media pressure amid as the losses keep piling up and the utter failure of Brandon Allen continues?

    Then they can say "see! He's not ready!" And go back to Joe Flacco, or some other veteran QB next season? That's literally the only reason I can think of they haven't already started Drew Lock.

    Brandon Allen had a 32 passer rating. What's to figure out? Nobody in the NFL ever thought he was better than a 3rd string QB who couldn't beat out such NFL stars as Chad Henne and Sean Mannion. So, what insane brain fart made Fangio choose him as the starter when Flacco went down?

    The fact we're having this conversation about a 3-8 football team on its way to 3-13 or 4-12 is just flat nuts. Every other NFL team would be playing Drew Lock by now if their starter got hurt.
    They won’t be forced to do anything, fans will get over it. They could decide to give fans what they want but I don’t see it as being forced to.

    Btw, Lock has spent this entire time on IR, I get the feeling that they wanted to leave him there, they’re not wrong. Lock’s transition won’t be much easier than PL’s, he had a college season under an NFL OC but he’s still got a long way to navigate.
    Last edited by Jaded; 11-25-2019 at 09:23 PM.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “Look at this ... look at what they make you give”
    “I’m just different!”

    Obinna Eze LT. Shaun Wade CB. Eric Stokes CB. Micah Parsons ILB. Travis Etienne RB. Dylan Moses ILB. Patrick Surtain CB. Hamsah Nasirildeen S. Trey Smith G/T. Paulson Adebo CB. Tyler Shelvin NT. Alex Leatherwood LT. Caleb Farley CB. Jackson Carmen LT. Trey Sermon RB. Myron Cunningham LT. Hamilcar Rasheed OLB. Cameron McGrone ILB. Daniel Faalele RT.

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wolfe
    Posts
    38,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Of course, everything you say here is not only true; it's so obvious the most casual fan can see it. So, why has their been such reluctance all season to even practice Drew Lock? Why all the idiot lies and feeble deception?

    "He's not ready because he's missed so much practice!" Well, the team could have been practicing him in late September, early October. He's been throwing on the side since late September. He could have been kept on the active roster all along.

    They STILL are undecided whether to activate him at all! Fangio clearly doesn't want anything to do with Drew Lock. He has resisted every single question that might have drawn some praise for Lock in his pressers and poured cold water all over every suggestion that its time to get him ready.

    "It's not important" for them to see anything from Drew Lock this season, and somehow fans think the team is committed to him?

    Well, maybe Elway still is committed to his second round pick, but Fangio clearly isn't.

    Why else would he prefer Brandon Allen who is just flat terrible?
    Lol

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Flacco not herr to mentor Drew Lock
    By Jsteve01 in forum Broncos Talk
    Replies: 363
    Last Post: 06-05-2019, 06:27 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2019, 08:02 PM
  3. Replies: 64
    Last Post: 04-02-2019, 04:35 PM
  4. Vic Fangio introduced as Broncos' head coach
    By Denver Native (Carol) in forum Broncos Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-10-2019, 10:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group