Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Broncos coach Vic Fangio: Starting rookie Drew Lock among QB options

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    This is pure nonsense. IF he's such a delicate flower that starting behind a bad football team will "ruin him" then he's obviously not the guy!

Is Sam Darnold "ruined" because he had to start for a horrible Jets team with a miserable OL? No. He's had some rough starts; his learning curve has been spotty but if you saw last game he looked pretty good in crushing the Raiders season.

First of all there is no plan to make Lock the franchise QB, there never was. Elway picked him AFTER he had already signed Joe Flacco to be the starter for the next 3 years while Drew Lock sits on the bench, cause Joe Flacco "is in his prime." Lock was only supposed to start AFTER Flacco and Elway both retired. That was the Elway plan.

I might want to see Lock and so might most fans, but Elway and Fangio clearly don't. His injury was NOT bad enough to put him on IR, so why was he on IR in the first place? They didn't put Bryce Callahan on IR though he couldn't play all year due to injury. You keep hearing "Juwuan James could play this week or next" then they trot out Juwuan James and he lasts 1 series before he has to miss another 4 games. Yet HE doesn't go on IR!

Why Drew Lock? He could have been practicing over 1 month ago, he could have been starting back in October.

"He's not ready." Well, so what? The team lost their first 4 games with Flacco. Flacco obviously by that point was NOT "in his prime." No team in NFL history has lost their first 4 and then made the playoffs? Why would the Broncos be the first? There was literally nothing to accomplish this season OTHER THAN to see if Drew Lock could play. So, why the reluctance to do it?

"We were encouraged by Brandon Allen." What kind of insane nonsense is this?

Brandon Allen is a total scrub. Former 6th round QB who has bounced around the league. Let's not forget who this guy is: "Allen was was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the sixth round (201st overall) in the 2016 NFL Draft. The Jaguars third-string quarterback sat in rookie season behind Blake Bortles and Chad Henne. Inactive all year, he was waived by the Jaguars on September 3, 2017, following final roster cuts for the 2017 season."

He was picked up by the Rams, as the third stringer behind Sean Mannion and was inactive all year. Cut by the Rams he was picked up off waivers by the Broncos on 9/1. He's the ultimate scrub backup who is lucky to have a job in the NFL.

It's a sign of the pathetic QB parade that fans were ready to think that Brandon Allen had some kind of chance to be good. The fact Fangio was talking positives about Brandon Allen, and the fact that Fangio clearly STILL PREFERS TO START ALLEN this Sunday, is simply proof that he doesn't think much of Drew Lock.

It's literally insane. You have a total scrub who the team has ZERO commitment to, and who NOBODY in the NFL has ever given a second thought and HE's the guy Fangio wants?

Every NFL rookie who is seriously in their team's plans starts. They start as soon as possible because you have to train them to GET good. It's not a job players come into the league knowing. They have to learn, and often while they are learning they suck and the team loses.

So, why haven't the Broncos started Drew Lock already? Why the endless stupid nonsense about "he's not ready"?
    sam darnold was seeing ghosts.

You basically just proved my point, they could have ended up ruining that guy, because the team around him is so bad.

Its also clear to me Fangio wants nothing to do with Lock. So they should just trade him before they ruin his career.

Or they fire Fangio, and bring in a coach that actually wants Lock.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

oh and i watched Herberts game, guy is not impressive, tua is in the hospital, this is not the same rookie qb class.

Broncos need to build the system around Drew Lock, even if this means firing Fangio.

I dont really care how it looks, that is how you compete.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    oh and i watched Herberts game, guy is not impressive, tua is in the hospital, this is not the same rookie qb class.

Broncos need to build the system around Drew Lock, even if this means firing Fangio.

I dont really care how it looks, that is how you compete.
    I'm not high on Herbert either. Tua's medical is now incredibly important and frankly it's a concern. The rookie QB class now hinges upon Burrow, who has some question marks, and Fromm, who has some question marks.

We took a first round talent in the second round with Lock. That has to have some value to it. We need to help him out as much as possible. Firing Fangio probably helps Lock so long as we finally bring in a bonafide offensive mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

How do we know Fangio doesn't like Drew Lock?

I don't see there being much chance Lock plays this week. There's quite a few games left in the schedule, and there's no point in throwing him out just yet. I'd give it a week or two, before playing him.

I have no idea if Drew Lock will be a quality QB in this league, and even if he IS, I'm always of the mindset that you draft a QB in every draft, even if it's in the 6th or 7th.

6. The Following User High Fived tripp For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

If anyone on this coaching staff gets the axe it's Scangarello, not Fangs. A revolving door at HC doesn't help anyone.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    sam darnold was seeing ghosts.

You basically just proved my point, they could have ended up ruining that guy, because the team around him is so bad.

Its also clear to me Fangio wants nothing to do with Lock. So they should just trade him before they ruin his career.

Or they fire Fangio, and bring in a coach that actually wants Lock.
    Sam Darnold had a bad game so he's "ruined?" Are you just stupid?

Here's his last games:

11/24 vs Raiders 69.0% completions, 315 yds passing, 2 TDs, 0 Ints, passer rating: 127.8. They crushed the Raiders 34-3 and people in NY are very happy with Darnold.

They crushed the Redskins 34-17 and Darnold threw for 293 yds. and 4 Tds to 1 Int. and a passer rating of 121.8.

Darnold has not been "ruined" by putting him out there. Every young QB is put into games if their team wants to develop him.

Drew Lock is not playing because Vic Fangio doesn't like him for some reason. "He's not ready" -- well, why isn't he ready? Because Fangio refused to take him off IR and get him some reps, preferring instead to promote the idiot "Brandon Allen could be great!" theory.

The theory that exploded in their faces in Buffalo.

As for Fangio being fired, I have not been in favor of it, but you can bet that he's already heading for being fired after 2 seasons they way he's going so far. It's not looking good at all for him.

10. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

You only listed two games....?
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Suppose they DON'T play Drew Lock in 2019. Then what? Have you thought about that at all? Or are you all so drunk on the Orange Cool-Aid that you can't see the Dove Valley Emperor has no pants on?

Suppose they DON'T play Lock, then what are they to do in 2020? They're obviously getting a top 5 pick, and possibly as high as #3. They could draft one of the top QB prospects, but why would they if Drew Lock is the future franchise QB?

But, how can they know until he gets into some games? They can't.

Unless Elway is just planning to punt on getting a franchise QB once again and tries to stiff Broncos Country with Joe Flacco or some other bum next season in an endless "we're not that far off" line of B.S. they've got to find their guy.

If you think they are already committed to Drew Lock and just don't want to "ruin" him, why do you suppose they weren't even practicing him for a month when they could?

Why did they wait till now to take him off IR?

With the team at 3-8 why is there all this hesitation to start Lock, despite the fact that Brandon Allen led the team to its worst offensive performance in 30 years?

This is not a team with a plan. They are floundering and are making it up as they go along. And Fangio and Elway are clearly not on the same page -- which is why Fangio is hesitating to either declare that Lock will be inactive this week again, and to hell with the fan and media reaction, or else to name him the starter.

Why the waffling?

The only answer is: Total Dysfunction in Dove Valley means they have no idea what they are going to do this Sunday yet, and Fangio has to argue it out with John Elway, let alone next season.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    You only listed two games....?
    Does it matter? Sam Darnold was a top prospect coming out of college. Everybody thought he was one of, if not THE best QB prospect in the draft. He's playing great for a truly horrible team and got the Jets -- THE FRICKIN' JETS! - to score 34 points in consecutive games.

When was the last time the Broncos scored 34 points or more? The AZ Cardinals game in 2018 and that was a fluke. Right now they are scoring less than 16 points a game (29th in the league).

No, whatever is wrong with the Jets, Sam Darnold is not the problem.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Suppose they DON'T play Drew Lock in 2019. Then what? Have you thought about that at all? Or are you all so drunk on the Orange Cool-Aid that you can't see the Dove Valley Emperor has no pants on?

Suppose they DON'T play Lock, then what are they to do in 2020? They're obviously getting a top 5 pick, and possibly as high as #3. They could draft one of the top QB prospects, but why would they if Drew Lock is the future franchise QB?

But, how can they know until he gets into some games? They can't.

Unless Elway is just planning to punt on getting a franchise QB once again and tries to stiff Broncos Country with Joe Flacco or some other bum next season in an endless "we're not that far off" line of B.S. they've got to find their guy.

If you think they are already committed to Drew Lock and just don't want to "ruin" him, why do you suppose they weren't even practicing him for a month when they could?

Why did they wait till now to take him off IR?

With the team at 3-8 why is there all this hesitation to start Lock, despite the fact that Brandon Allen led the team to its worst offensive performance in 30 years?

This is not a team with a plan. They are floundering and are making it up as they go along. And Fangio and Elway are clearly not on the same page -- which is why Fangio is hesitating to either declare that Lock will be inactive this week again, and to hell with the fan and media reaction, or else to name him the starter.

Why the waffling?

The only answer is: Total Dysfunction in Dove Valley means they have no idea what they are going to do this Sunday yet, and Fangio has to argue it out with John Elway, let alone next season.

I believe the intention was, at the time we drafted Drew Lock, that he was a year or two away from playing. We had just traded for Joe Flacco, we didn't foresee an absolute meltdown of a season as it's playing out to be. I think this is the reason why no one in Dove Valley is ready to play Drew Lock quite yet, with this being said... I think it would be a terrible waste of everyone's time if you didn't AT LEAST play Drew Lock the last 2 games of the season, even if they felt he wasn't ready.

I don't believe in the whole "if you throw him in now, you'll ruin him" either. I think it was Mark Schlereth who said something along the lines of "I don't want a QB who is that weak of a mindset that would piss away a career because of a couple bad games" (very loosely he said something along those lines).

If the draft was today and the Broncos sat at #5 overall, I honestly don't have a clue if they would entertain the idea of drafting a QB, or would they go for OL help.

Does it matter? Sam Darnold was a top prospect coming out of college. Everybody thought he was one of, if not THE best QB prospect in the draft. He's playing great for a truly horrible team and got the Jets -- THE FRICKIN' JETS! - to score 34 points in consecutive games.

When was the last time the Broncos scored 34 points or more? The AZ Cardinals game in 2018 and that was a fluke. Right now they are scoring less than 16 points a game (29th in the league).

No, whatever is wrong with the Jets, Sam Darnold is not the problem.

Well you said his last 4 games and then listed 2. I found that odd
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I think you guys are overthinking Herbert, whatever it is you wanna see you probably won’t get in that offense.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Lol, saw another Bronco fan on FB say "If Denver had drafted Lamar Jackson he would still be sitting on the bench".

18. The Following 5 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Lol, saw another Bronco fan on FB say "If Denver had drafted Lamar Jackson he would still be sitting on the bench".
    He’s not mentally or physically ready.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

20. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    He’s not mentally or physically ready.
    That play off game last year would have broke a weak qb.... it seemed to galvanize Jackson

We need to see if lock has the same capacity to be an nfl qb

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information