Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice / press conference notes - week 12 (Bills week)

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Anyone else a little confused by Fangio’s comments on Drew Lock? Are his hot and cold statements meant to push Lock to keep getting better? Or does he just not want to play him this season? If not, why? Is Drew really that far behind in learning this offense? Do they really have a plan in place to develop him or are they going to mishandle Drew 1similar to Lynch?
    Lynch was never going to bolt out the gate anyway.

Maybe the same with Lock? That would be a shame. I could see it. And perhaps that is the result we will see: Lock is immature and not NFL ready. [not now, not ever]

Or it could be coachspeak: 1) keeping competition alive, and/or 2) utterly meaningless, 3) pointing to the QB that currently offers the best chance of winning next week's game.

To me, you play Lock right now. Allen is not the future of this franchise. He just ain't. He's ok though, so I don't mind him getting meaningless live NFL reps. Like Siemian if we'd have kept him for the #2 role.

Anyways, not playing Lock right now is a failure. Not a huge one, and maybe an insignificant one. But all else equal, he needs to get a few hundred reps this year to optimize his result next year.

I don't think it will happen and I have little confidence that this front office and coaching staff will develop a competitive QB.

Because they have shown an inability to this point.

I hope that changes and I'm optimistic that it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

I cant see how putting lock out there, now, after how little time he had in preseason to get ready would do anything useful.

I get it, as fans we all want to see if this kid has it, but what are we all going to learn, watching some one who hasnt had the time to develop, try to lead this shit show as it stands right now?
    Last edited by Krugan; 11-21-2019 at 11:28 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Anyone else a little confused by Fangio’s comments on Drew Lock? Are his hot and cold statements meant to push Lock to keep getting better? Or does he just not want to play him this season? If not, why? Is Drew really that far behind in learning this offense? Do they really have a plan in place to develop him or are they going to mishandle Drew 1similar to Lynch?
    If he needs that much work than we need to draft another QB that is more NFL ready.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post
    I cant see how putting lock out there, now, after how little time he had in preseason to get ready would do anything useful.

I get it, as fans we all want to see if this kid has it, but what are we all going to learn, watching some one who hasnt had the time to develop, try to lead this shit show as it stands right now?
    The same reasons why Darnold, Haskins, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen, etc are playing. To see what they bring as QB's to their respective teams regardless if they are winning or losing.

7. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

The whole thing is bizarre.

Maybe MO is right to blame Elway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Here's my read:

Lock looked like a rookie who needed a ton of work in the preseason... Even if he hadn't gotten hurt - he likely would have started the season as the #3 QB. Then he got hurt, and was essentially a non-factor/afterthought while he was on IR for 8 weeks. It turned into a borderline redshirt year because of how much time he lost.

Us fans have MUCH higher expectations for Lock than does Fangio at this stage. We're pinning the future of the franchise on him -- while Fangio sees him as an unpolished rookie who isn't even close to stepping in as an effective NFL starter. He's just another borderline 3rd stringer to an old school defensive coach like Fangio and doesn't need to get special treatment in his eyes.

So basically - Fangio is saying "Look, the kid isn't ready, and he needs some more practice time."

Meanwhile us fans are like, "Yeah but if this kid doesn't work out then there is nothing else for us to hang out hats on! Don't you see the urgency!"

I do hope that they see the urgent need to develop him -- and I've got to assume they do -- but it doesn't make sense for Fangio to start piling on expectations of him in the media. I understand why he's slow playing the situation.

10. The Following 5 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    The same reasons why Darnold, Haskins, Mayfield, Jackson, Allen, etc are playing. To see what they bring as QB's to their respective teams regardless if they are winning or losing.
    Forgive me if im wrong, but im pretty sure all those guys had full training camps and preseasons. Also coming onto teams that didnt have a "legit veteran" in front of them.

Not really comparable circumstances IMO.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Forgive me if im wrong, but im pretty sure all those guys had full training camps and preseasons. Also coming onto teams that didnt have a "legit veteran" in front of them.

Not really comparable circumstances IMO.
    We dont have a legit veteran in front of him now, that guy is out of the year. Secondly, any of those teams could have gone with vet QB's instead of playing their young ones. Arizona had drafted one young Qb and then immediately replaced him with another in Kyler Murray. Lock was there for the training camps, just not half of the preseason but i really dont think that plays that much of a factor into whether or not he can play the position. Ill state it again, if Lock is that far behind being a 2nd round player who was graded as a first than we chose the wrong guy and need to draft a player who is ready to start day one. Constantly drafting project QB's is not the way to go and has shown to be a poor approach to getting a franchise QB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

In this age of the quarterback, if you’re drafting quarterbacks not ready to play, you’re doing it wrong.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

We dont have a legit veteran in front of him now, that guy is out of the year. Secondly, any of those teams could have gone with vet QB's instead of playing their young ones. Arizona had drafted one young Qb and then immediately replaced him with another in Kyler Murray. Lock was there for the training camps, just not half of the preseason but i really dont think that plays that much of a factor into whether or not he can play the position. Ill state it again, if Lock is that far behind being a 2nd round player who was graded as a first than we chose the wrong guy and need to draft a player who is ready to start day one. Constantly drafting project QB's is not the way to go and has shown to be a poor approach to getting a franchise QB.
    We had a vet, could of does not count, and i never claimed we shouldn't find another QB. Honestly from what i recall, lock was considered "potential" talent that needed time. Im just saying, playing this kid right now with 1 week now, of practice since august, cant possibly get you an honest evaluation.

So you are still in a position of wondering where he will end up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    In this age of the quarterback, if you’re drafting quarterbacks not ready to play, you’re doing it wrong.
    I agree with that. But Bill Belichick, for instance, doesn't run guys out there who aren't ready because they were taken high in the draft.

I just think we fans see a QBOTF and a reason for hope -- and Fangio sees a rookie who is a borderline 3rd stringer at the moment. At least, that would seem to explain his lukewarm stance in the media.

The hope is that he's just slow playing things publicly, and that Lock surprises everyone with his preparedness when he gets his chance.

17. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I agree with that. But Bill Belichick, for instance, doesn't run guys out there who aren't ready because they were taken high in the draft.

I just think we fans see a QBOTF and a reason for hope -- and Fangio sees a rookie who is a borderline 3rd stringer at the moment. At least, that would seem to explain his lukewarm stance in the media.

The hope is that he's just slow playing things publicly, and that Lock surprises everyone with his preparedness when he gets his chance.
    Belichick also has Tom Brady. Again, if their second round quarterback is the third stringer to a sixth round journeyman and a UDFA from the same class ...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

19. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

We had a vet, could of does not count, and i never claimed we shouldn't find another QB. Honestly from what i recall, lock was considered "potential" talent that needed time. Im just saying, playing this kid right now with 1 week now, of practice since august, cant possibly get you an honest evaluation.

So you are still in a position of wondering where he will end up.
    I think playing Lock the rest of the year would give you a pretty good idea if he can be the future or at least someone to build around. Its not about winning ballgames anymore as it is about how he performs while in there.

21. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Belichick also has Tom Brady. Again, if their second round quarterback is the third stringer to a sixth round journeyman and a UDFA from the same class ...
    Yea, using NE as an argument isnt a very good one.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Yea, using NE as an argument isnt a very good one.
    To be fair, Buff is referring to non quarterbacks in that reference. And that’s fine if it’s a defensive tackle. It’s just not fine if it’s a quarterback. These quarterbacks are ready to play. Play them.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information