Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's #4?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    I'm saying Baylor would never get in even if they went undefeated because they are a tiny religious school and not Oklahoma or Texas. Only Notre Dame gets to be a tiny religious school (with their own national tv contract on a major broadcaster) that can make the CFP.
    I didn't know the committee was so pro-Catholic.

Notre Dame has earned its win in when it made the playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Listen, that makes sense to me, and I get it. But, I can hope. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...l-predictions/

Mostly off of those odds which put us at 35%.
    Yeah but your have to consider Oregon/Utah as kinda one entity since they play each other. Each individually has a smaller chance than Oklahoma, but those two teams combined have a 61% chance.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Yeah but your have to consider Oregon/Utah as kinda one entity since they play each other. Each individually has a smaller chance than Oklahoma, but those two teams combined have a 61% chance.
    My hope and optimism rejects your logic.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

4. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The biggest moral of the story if you're a fan of one of these teams on the outside looking in is that you want LSU and Ohio State to win out. Both would still have a very strong resume as a 1 loss team, especially LSU, and whoever beats either of those teams likely leapfrogs everyone. Oklahoma has zero shot to get in if either Ohio State or LSU lose in my opinion, because either team with 1 loss likely still stays ahead of Oklahoma, and whoever beats said team also gets in head of them.

6. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

The biggest moral of the story if you're a fan of one of these teams on the outside looking in is that you want LSU and Ohio State to win out. Both would still have a very strong resume as a 1 loss team, especially LSU, and whoever beats either of those teams likely leapfrogs everyone. Oklahoma has zero shot to get in if either Ohio State or LSU lose in my opinion, because either team with 1 loss likely still stays ahead of Oklahoma, and whoever beats said team also gets in head of them.
    If Oklahoma wins out, they have a 44 percent chance, and if Utah wins out, they have 45, and Oregon has 39. I might have those two switched.

My hope beats eternal, Wave.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

If Oklahoma wins out, they have a 44 percent chance, and if Utah wins out, they have 45, and Oregon has 39. I might have those two switched.

My hope beats eternal, Wave.
    538 is a bit more bullish on OU's chances than I am then I guess. I just don't see them jumping a 1 loss Pac 12 team. Tonight's poll will tell us a lot. If OU is still behind both Pac 12 teams, I think they have zero shot of passing them. If the Baylor win was enough for the committee to bump them past both Pac 12 teams, then I'm probably wrong and OU is in the driver's seat behind Georgia.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

What Oklahoma has going for it "if they win out" is the Big 12 championship game. That would be a likely rematch against Baylor and a they would also have a win over current top 25 OSU.

Honestly, I question whether OU can win out. They have to play at OSU, who is playing well these past few weeks, and survive a rematch against a very good Baylor team. I wouldn't bet on it at this point.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    What Oklahoma has going for it "if they win out" is the Big 12 championship game. That would be a likely rematch against Baylor and a they would also have a win over current top 25 OSU.

Honestly, I question whether OU can win out. They have to play at OSU, who is playing well these past few weeks, and survive a rematch against a very good Baylor team. I wouldn't bet on it at this point.
    The Baylor wins help, but the fact the the committee had them at 12 despite being 9-0 tells you they don't really think much of them. They really have beaten absolutely no one. So it would be 2 nice wins for OU to have, but that loss to Kansas State is just going to be an anchor compared to, say, Oregon who only lost to Auburn and would have a win over a Utah team that would be better than any win OU has. The rankings tonight should give us some more clarity though.

They will win out. They will make the playoffs. They will then make and win the National Championship, and we will go watch the game together.

#Style
    #Sooners
    #Boom
    #NTL
    #Abemad
    #letuseatwelltoo

The Baylor wins help, but the fact the the committee had them at 12 despite being 9-0 tells you they don't really think much of them. They really have beaten absolutely no one. So it would be 2 nice wins for OU to have, but that loss to Kansas State is just going to be an anchor compared to, say, Oregon who only lost to Auburn and would have a win over a Utah team that would be better than any win OU has. The rankings tonight should give us some more clarity though.
    So maybe beating OSU and Baylor again would tick those boxes, as well as the W over Texas who was ranked 11 at the time?

Are the Sooners really that cooked?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

So maybe beating OSU and Baylor again would tick those boxes, as well as the W over Texas who was ranked 11 at the time?

Are the Sooners really that cooked?
    I don't think they really care what teams were ranked at the time they played. I don't think they'll value the Texas win that much given where Texas is going to finish. Rankings that early in the season mean nothing.

I don't think they really care what teams were ranked at the time they played. I don't think they'll value the Texas win that much given where Texas is going to finish. Rankings that early in the season mean nothing.
    Welp, I tried.

NTL, that'll be 500 dollars and a steak.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Welp, I tried.

NTL, that'll be 500 dollars and a steak.
    Let's take a more extreme example. Let's say you play the #1 team in the nation in week one and beat them. That's a great feather in your cap, you beat the #1 team! But say that team was just really overrated, falls flat, goes 5-7 and finishes unranked and didn't even make a bowl game. The committee isn't going to sit there and say "well they were number one when you beat them 3 months ago, so that's a great win!" They'll have the context of the entire season to see the team you beat really wasn't that good.

Now that's an extreme example, but the principle applies. I don't really think the committee cares how other polls ranked teams earlier in the season.

16. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I try not to get worked up over these rankings until the end of the season. Usually all these questions get answered on the field by the end of the season. It can be kind of fun to do the "what if" game, but in the end, the play on the field usually sorts most of it out.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I try not to get worked up over these rankings until the end of the season. Usually all these questions get answered on the field by the end of the season. It can be kind of fun to do the "what if" game, but in the end, the play on the field usually sorts most of it out.
    Agreed, most of this tends to sort itself out most years to where you either have a pretty consensus top 4 or at most 5 teams with a real argument. It really seems like there could be more of a logjam this year, but it might very well just work itself out neatly.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information