The Houston Astros used a center-field camera to help steal signs during their 2017 championship season, a former pitcher for the team told The Athletic, a practice that would have run afoul of rules against using technology for an advantage and has prompted an investigation.

Mike Fiers, who now pitches for the Oakland Athletics, told the website that he warned teammates with the Detroit Tigers and A's that Astros hitters had used a video feed piped into a monitor near the dugout to decode signs and relay them to hitters during games.

"I just want the game to be cleaned up a little bit because there are guys who are losing their jobs because they're going in there not knowing," Fiers said in the story. "Young guys getting hit around in the first couple of innings starting a game, and then they get sent down. It's [B.S.] on that end. It's ruining jobs for younger guys. The guys who know are more prepared. But most people don't. That's why I told my team. We had a lot of young guys with Detroit [in 2018] trying to make a name and establish themselves. I wanted to help them out and say, 'Hey, this stuff really does go on. Just be prepared.'"
rest, plus video - https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...e-signs-camera