Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice / press conference notes - week 11 (Vikings week)

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Of course it matters. If you can't consistently fix a problem, or THE problem and that problem is the most pressing one for a franchise, it matters. You're giving me accomplishments with Manning and the defense that was greatly bolstered because of PFM.

He had earned it this year up until the bungling of Lock. I like Elway a lot, too. But he's beholden to the franchise, not the other way around. Since PFM we had one winning record -running off of the fumes of the SB defense- and utter garbage since then. A carousel of bad QB's and listless offenses. We're going to end up in another losing season again.
    Elway has earned the right to not be fired. When his contract is up in a few years if we're not vastly improved he goes away.

He has earned that loyalty and opportunity.

We've had three losing seasons including this one. Big deal. If it continues you don't resign him.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Elway has earned the right to not be fired. When his contract is up in a few years if we're not vastly improved he goes away.

We've had three losing seasons including this one. Big deal. If it continues you don't resign him.
    How do you earn the right to not be fired in a what have you done for me lately business? How do you earn the right to not be fired, via several more years on a contract when you have rebuilding results via record, but not rebuilding results via talent on the time. It's not just three losing seasons. It's three losing seasons with the same mistakes being made at QB again and again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

The Broncos haven't had back to back to back losing seasons since the old AFL days of the 1970s. He has NOT earned endless loyalty. A SB win gets you a few seasons of failure. That ends with this season.

Elway is widely expected not to want to return on another contract by people who claim to know him.

That's the point. He doesn't want to rebuild because he's not going to be here to benefit from it. By the time the Broncos have rebuilt with a new young drafted QB Elway is expected to be moving on.

Plus, Joe Ellis might be leaving too since he's expected to want to retire at some point, and the obvious point for Joe Ellis to leave would be when a new owner is appointed by the Trust, or if the Trust sells the team to a new owner.

That is expected to happen in the next couple years too, since they are grooming Bowlen's daughter to take over the team.

It all points to Elway and Ellis leaving at the same time. Could be Elway wants to stay? Maybe -- IF he's wildly successful in the mean time they might want him back.

Dude has over $150m. He doesn't have to do this stuff.
    Last edited by Cugel; 11-13-2019 at 10:16 AM.

How do you earn the right to not be fired in a what have you done for me lately business? How do you earn the right to not be fired, via several more years on a contract when you have rebuilding results via record, but not rebuilding results via talent on the time. It's not just three losing seasons. It's three losing seasons with the same mistakes being made at QB again and again.
    You're entirely right King. These guys have their heads up their butts and don't get it.

Elway should be fired not because of past failure or even for this season's failure.

It's because he flat doesn't get it. He's failed over and over to even identify the problems let alone fix them.

He has passed on QB after QB who has gone on to have NFL success. Lamar Jackson is only the latest one.

Meanwhile he's refused to address the OL, has made questionable FA acquisitions, and has meanwhile horribly mismanaged his own FAs (why are his best two defenders other than Von on expiring contracts expected to get big FA contracts from other teams -- Chris Harris and Justin Simmons)?

Just blatant incompetence. Either they walk, dramatically weakening the defense, or else the team has to overpay. Why were these key defenders not locked up before the season -- other teams manage to do that, why not the Broncos?

He deserves to be fired because there is no realistic chance the team is going to get appreciably better under his watch.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

"Endless loyalty"

You clearly have reading comprehension problems. There's an end, he has a contract.

7. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

"Endless loyalty"

You clearly have reading comprehension problems. There's an end, he has a contract.
    In the very literal sense, yes you are correct here.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

In the very literal sense, yes you are correct here.
    And that's where the loyalty line is drawn. You do not fire John Elway. You don't renew his contract and you "let him retire".

IF John can't handle it you let him retire early but you do not fire a John Elway. Like it or not he has brought much of the success we're spoiled by and he has earned loyalty through that.

10. The Following 8 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

And that's where the loyalty line is drawn. You do not fire John Elway. You don't renew his contract and you "let him retire".

IF John can't handle it you let him retire early but you do not fire a John Elway. Like it or not he has brought much of the success we're spoiled by and he has earned loyalty through that.
    I don't think you owe him letting him finish out his contract. I do think you owe him allowing him the option to 'retire'. There's usually a way to do things the right way.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Cugel - from one of your earlier posts - please post quotes, links, something which confirms what you stated

"Elway is widely expected not to want to return on another contract by people who claim to know him."

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

update on the date and time of the game. Up to this point it's be TBD.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Broncos' Week 16 game against the Detroit Lions will kick off at 2:05 p.m. MT on Sunday, Dec. 22, the NFL announced Tuesday. https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/n...-game-vs-lions
    Avatar courtesy of Artist Faith Coyote

16. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The Broncos haven't had back to back to back losing seasons since the old AFL days of the 1970s. He has NOT earned endless loyalty. A SB win gets you a few seasons of failure. That ends with this season.

Elway is widely expected not to want to return on another contract by people who claim to know him.

That's the point. He doesn't want to rebuild because he's not going to be here to benefit from it. By the time the Broncos have rebuilt with a new young drafted QB Elway is expected to be moving on.
    You cant honestly believe that. John Elway, doesnt want to be the best all the time everyday. Good grief...

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver 6m
    Fangio on Lock: “He did OK.” Some scout team snaps yesterday, some with the regular offense today

Mike Klis @MikeKlis 6m
    Fangio on Broncos attending Kaepernick workout: “I don’t know. You’d have to ask John.” #9sports

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver 5m
    Bryce Callahan was “just OK, not great.” May not practice the rest of the week. Could go to IR

Troy Renck @TroyRenck 3m
    #Broncos Fangio said expects Tim Patrick to play. James and Heuerman will do some drills today. But uncertain they will play #Denver7

Nicki Jhabvala @NickiJhabvala 4m
    Vic Fangio asked if his priority is to win games or develop QBs: “Both.”

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Andrew Mason @MaseDenver 6m
    Fangio on Lock: “He did OK.” Some scout team snaps yesterday, some with the regular offense today

Mike Klis @MikeKlis 6m
    Fangio on Broncos attending Kaepernick workout: “I don’t know. You’d have to ask John.” #9sports

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver 5m
    Bryce Callahan was “just OK, not great.” May not practice the rest of the week. Could go to IR

Troy Renck @TroyRenck 3m
    #Broncos Fangio said expects Tim Patrick to play. James and Heuerman will do some drills today. But uncertain they will play #Denver7

Nicki Jhabvala @NickiJhabvala 4m
    Vic Fangio asked if his priority is to win games or develop QBs: “Both.”
    He did ok - way to build up your young QB's confidence, coach.

We know John calls all the QB shots, don't worry.

Oh, we're going to be competitive and develop QB's? Did John give you that line?

Fangs is annoying.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

The Kaepernick workout is hilarious.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information