Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice / press conference notes - week 11 (Vikings week)

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    What injury?
    Did he need to be on IR?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Did he need to be on IR?
    From a certain point of view.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

From a certain point of view.
    Which POV has the best argument?
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Which POV has the best argument?
    Well, I mean, in my opinion he shouldn’t have been because he was traveling and throwing by the first week of October and they hindered his scout team reps by doing it. But that’s an opinion, not a fact.

There’s an argument to sitting young quarterbacks. I just don’t like it, and I see the IR designation as a bad excuse to sit him.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Well, I mean, in my opinion he shouldn’t have been because he was traveling and throwing by the first week of October and they hindered his scout team reps by doing it. But that’s an opinion, not a fact.

There’s an argument to sitting young quarterbacks. I just don’t like it, and I see the IR designation as a bad excuse to sit him.
    So he didn't have to be IR'd/there was a solid reason to not IR him, and now we invented an excuse to not play him sooner because of the IR placement?

Have you seen our O line Mo? I get where you are coming from but why get the guy killed right off the bat?
    Remember David Carr?
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

8. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Have you seen our O line Mo? I get where you are coming from but why get the guy killed right off the bat?
    Remember David Carr?
    I hate this excuse so much.

I hate this excuse so much.
    Me to but it’s kinda true. Bolles is terrible.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Remember David Carr?
    Why keep a GM who can't build an o-line in a decade?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Me to but it’s kinda true. Bolles is terrible.
    Bolles is bad in pass protection, and the line has been below league average in the passing game and above average in the rushing game, in fact, it's No. 6 in DVOA. This line isn't that Texans line. That line was allowing a sack every five attempts. The Broncos are allowing a sack every nine and is on pace to give up roughly 55-58, which is 20 sacks less than that Texan line in an era where teams are passing it way more. Carr had 444 attempts that season, the Broncos will probably have ~500 attempts.

And Carr is an outlier. He got sacked 20 times more than any other quarterback in any other season. That season was an anomaly. It's a bad excuse. That's all it is.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

It's a fact, reported by 7News Broncos Insider Troy Renck that Drew Lock has been throwing for over a month now. He's been physically healthy enough to practice all of October. He never should have been placed on IR and he should have been taken off IR as soon as possible.

But, as with everything about the Broncos -- it all makes "sense" when you understand Elway's idiot fixation about "wining now" despite the obvious and proven fact that he doesn't have good enough talent to 'win now."

Putting him on IR (when they didn't put Bryce Callahan or Juwann James on IR neither of whom could actually play due to injury or even Ron Leary who has simply been ineffective because he's toughing it out despite chronic injury), was because Lock wasn't expected to help them win this season.

Screw the future, because Elway is always about "we're going Plan 'A!'"

By: Troy Renck

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Lock will begin practicing Tuesday -- much to the delight of many Broncos fans -- creating a potential path to the starting lineup in early December.

So what's next for Allen and Lock? To be determined.

If Allen posts victories in the next two games at Minnesota and Buffalo, he keeps the job. The reality is until the Broncos reach eight losses, they will view themselves as a contender. As such, coach Vic Fangio wants to win games, not focus on the development of a young quarterback. However, if the Broncos hit eight losses, it makes sense to play Lock at some point in early December, allowing for a read on the rookie before entering the offseason and preparing for the draft.

Fangio discussed the situation Monday.

"Our whole focus is to try to get to 4-6, as bad as that sounds. We’re trying to win the game we play this week. Whether that includes or doesn’t include Drew down the road remains to be seen," Fangio said. "We are going to try and get Drew as many reps as we can, and some of that will be scout team. You gotta remember this guy hasn't been in a huddle since middle August."

Will Lock be the backup this week? And is their a blueprint to follow?

"It's not mapped out because it is going to be determine by how he looks and what we think," Fangio said. "We need to see good quarterback play (from Lock). That he belongs."

"Based on the coach's explanation, I attempt to connect the dots. If the Broncos go 1-1 over the next two weeks, Allen keeps the job. Again, the magic number for a pocket change is likely eight losses. If Denver drops both games, it increases the likelihood Lock starts, if his practice sessions go well over the next few weeks." -- Troy Renck.
    What conceivable relevance does 8 losses have when the season was toast after they dropped the 4th game? No team has gotten to the playoffs after starting 0-4.

So, what's the point of trying to win meaningless games instead of building for the future? Elway's ego. He's still insisting that "we're not that far off!" If they can get to 7 wins he can say "see! We just need to strengthen a few pieces to put around Joe Flacco and then we'll compete for the division!"

So, the fan and media fixation about "when are we going to see Drew Lock!?" is just a distraction to them. That's why you kept hearing insane idiocy like "we might want to bring Theo Riddick off IR instead of Drew Lock."

Why on God's earth would they want to keep Lock on IR and promote Theo Riddick -- who is on an expiring 1 year contract?

He helps them to "win now!"

"As Fangio explained to me last week, the Broncos could be better than 3-6, especially when looking at their point-differential (170 allowed, 149 scored), but they could not be worse. They have been walked off three times by the Bears, Jaguars and Colts. -- Troy Renck"

Only loser teams make excuses like "with a few lucky bounces we could be 5-4!" But, that's what Elway believes "we're better than our record."
    Last edited by Cugel; 11-12-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Every fan wants to win championships. If they can't compete with KC or New England because Flacco is mediocre, then get a better QB so you can compete.

But, that's not how John Elway thinks obviously. He's all about "win now!" even when it's pointless and even self-defeating to try and "win now!" All winning this season gets you is a worse draft pick next year.

But, what if Elway doesn't care about their draft position, because he has no plans to draft a QB at all, and just wants to win enough games so that there's not intense fan and media speculation about the Broncos "having to draft a QB."

To replace Joe Flacco -- who is Elway's guy. It all lines up people. He just wants to stick with a veteran QB like Joe Flacco for this year and next year and the year after that. Then Flacco's contract expires and so does Elway's.

That's why they are in no rush to see what they have in Drew Lock. He's just a rookie backup and you're not going to put him in there when you're trying to win games now. He doesn't give you the "best chance to win Sunday."

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Every fan wants to win championships. If they can't compete with KC or New England because Flacco is mediocre, then get a better QB so you can compete.

But, that's not how John Elway thinks obviously. He's all about "win now!" even when it's pointless and even self-defeating to try and "win now!" All winning this season gets you is a worse draft pick next year.

But, what if Elway doesn't care about their draft position, because he has no plans to draft a QB at all, and just wants to win enough games so that there's not intense fan and media speculation about the Broncos "having to draft a QB."

To replace Joe Flacco -- who is Elway's guy. It all lines up people. He just wants to stick with a veteran QB like Joe Flacco for this year and next year and the year after that. Then Flacco's contract expires and so does Elway's.

That's why they are in no rush to see what they have in Drew Lock. He's just a rookie backup and you're not going to put him in there when you're trying to win games now. He doesn't give you the "best chance to win Sunday."
    Honestly, are they supposed to try and win or just tank? How does that promote a positive culture?

Man, i swear, there is no way to do right. Just follow the fan flow of emotions and have no structure....

18. The Following 4 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Why keep a GM who can't build an o-line in a decade?
    Because he brought two super bowls in half a decade....most likely
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post
    Honestly, are they supposed to try and win or just tank? How does that promote a positive culture?

Man, i swear, there is no way to do right. Just follow the fan flow of emotions and have no structure....
    Oh no Krugan, we can't have that in here. They must absolutely tank, fire everyone, and burn down the building.

So it has been written...

For the record, I feel "tanking" is exactly what creates a culture like they have in Cleveland or Cincinnati, etc. You try and win games no matter what.

I don't agree with not developing Lock sooner, but they're doing it.

22. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information