Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice / press conference notes - week 11 (Vikings week)

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    "I think he's been able to solve some of those issues, emotionally and mentally..."

When is the last time you've heard something similar about an NFL QB of note?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    "I think he's been able to solve some of those issues, emotionally and mentally..."

Derek Carr?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Derek Carr?
    Yeah r'real?
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Yeah r'real?
    I believe Gruden had to come out and vouch for him after the crying rumors, or some shit like that? I don't know. There were comments made early on in Steve Young's career about being coachable and a better teammate or some phrasing like that. Cam was great for awhile, and Rivera was always talking about maturity and the like. Big Ben had a lot of shit early on in his career that caused his peers to talk about him, too.

****, man. I'm going to bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

6. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

That was supposed to be a f' not a r'...sweet dreams.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Did anyone else hear Fangio's earnest commentary and realize Lock will never be an NFL QB?
    I disagree, This is what developing a QB is all about....you don't kiss their ass in the NFL because they are some touted rookie. You evaluate honestly see where their strengths and flaws are and coach accordingly. I think Fangio now actually may really be what's best for Lock. I hear a coach now who thinks the lack of pressure and focus Lock was able to put into his craft, served him well and he sees progress he wanted to see.....I think were working on developing Lock the right way for a change. I actually am encouraged that were trying to develop the kid for a change.....we may actually groom a QBOTF for once......
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 11-15-2019 at 02:57 AM.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Just this year some of those same things were being mentioned about Mayfield and Darnold.....and they are in year 2 after solid rookie seasons.....doesn't really mean much....If Lock has solved them and Fangio feels as much, then were already ahead of the Lynch ordeal for example because he didn't solve them, and that was alluded to much of his first couple years here by both staffs....

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

11. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Not to spoil the feels here, but Von Miller said Trevor Siemian was going to be just like Peyton Manning, Paxton Lynch was a “big-time quarterback,” said Case Keenum is “our guy,” and said Joe Flacco “looks like a Super Bowl MVP to me.”

Miller is Denver’s hype man, I’m not trusting him on quarterback evaluation.
    Von is a good team player and solider.....he says the right things as he should as the leader of this team....But your correct if you want accurate picture of where Lock is everyone should listen to Fangio and the fact Lock needs to develop and keep honing his craft back on the practice field....seems like the mental game is on track now, and he has to get back into physical game shape and keep honing his skills.....

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

13. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Mike Klis @MikeKlis 1m
    Von Miller on Drew Lock: “I just want to be here when he gets famous. He’s going to kill it.” #9sports
    You realize what Von is saying?

Von Miller Statement In Plain Language: "Uh, folks, Brandon Allen ain't gonna be starting for long because Lock is better than him. Because if Allen were better than Lock, Lock couldn't become famous next this season or next."

"Plus, the organization invested a 2nd round pick in Lock and Allen is only a 6th rounder, so whatever Fangio might think of the two he's really going to have some explaining to do to John Elway if he tries to stick with Allen instead of putting Lock in -- Elway's 2nd round pick whom they reportedly really liked back when they drafted him.

"Plus, I could totally be gone next year because my production in this Fangio defense sucks monkey balls. Really big ones. That doesn't mean I suck suddenly, it means that I'm not fitting in or I'm not producing at the level that meets expectations for whatever reason.

So, there's no point paying me $23m next year if I'm going to get 6 or maybe 8 sacks a year. I hope I'm wrong when I say that I hope I'm still around next season but seriously I could be traded this off-season. I will probably go somewhere and suddenly whatever team I go to I have an impact like Kalil Mack did in going to Chicago."
    So, why again are we starting Brandon Allen when even Von can see Lock is better? Or more inevitable?

I hope I'm wrong about Von indicating he could be traded. But, why else would he say "I hope I'm still around" when Lock gets famous? Why would he not be around next year (when presumably Lock is going to 'get famous' in Von's opinion.) I mean everybody assumes Lock is going to get the chance to start (probably both later this year and next year).

Von's still under contract next year so the only reason he wouldn't be here is if they traded him. So, is he expecting to be traded?
    Last edited by Cugel; 11-15-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

So, why again are we starting Brandon Allen when even Von can see Lock is better? Or more inevitable?

I hope I'm wrong about Von indicating he could be traded. But, why else would he say "I hope I'm still around" when Lock gets famous? Why would he not be around next year (when presumably Lock is going to 'get famous' in Von's opinion.) I mean everybody assumes Lock is going to get the chance to start (probably both later this year and next year).

Von's still under contract next year so the only reason he wouldn't be here is if they traded him. So, is he expecting to be traded?
    They arent starting Lock right now, because he hasnt practiced in 3 months.

Its not complicated.

16. The Following 5 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, we are in rebuild mode and the odds of us being a serious playoff contender again before Von is washed up are not in our favor. So, why not use him as a chip to get draft capital and accelerate the process a bit. We just have way too many holes to fix.

That said...all the draft capital in the world is useless until we have someone in place that can make solid draft decisions. So...a bit of a Catch 22

18. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I believe Gruden had to come out and vouch for him after the crying rumors, or some shit like that? I don't know. There were comments made early on in Steve Young's career about being coachable and a better teammate or some phrasing like that. Cam was great for awhile, and Rivera was always talking about maturity and the like. Big Ben had a lot of shit early on in his career that caused his peers to talk about him, too.

You didn't even scratch the surface! What about Ben Roethlisberger who fed some drunk chick even more drinks until she was totally hammered and then followed her into the women's room where she went to get away from him, and either had consensual sex with her or perhaps rape.

He screwed up so badly over that little incident that he had to totally change his life -- he had to grow up essentially. And this was after he's already played in 2 Super Bowls. Now he's happily married with family (I think). But, you don't see such off field problems out of him any more.

Although some ex-Steelers have criticized him as not a great teammate, a lot of that criticism can be traced back to Antonio Brown so we can discount most of it.

I don't think that saying Drew Lock lacks a certain degree of emotional maturity coming into the league is not surprising. Not everybody is suddenly Peyton Manning.

I heard Nick Ferguson (former Broncos S) on the radio talking about Manning. He said it was like Manning was the star pupil who sat at the front of the class and always had the answer to every question when they were doing the white board.

He answered every question himself while the coaches and players listened.

Lock isn't like that. He comes in and has to learn what an NFL culture really is. The amount of work and dedication it takes is way off the charts.

So, sitting back and having to study and sit not play due to injury makes Lock start to realize what Lynch never did -- this job isn't a given. You have to work your butt off learning the system and how to play QB in this league to have a chance to start. They're not going to just hand it to you on a silver platter.

And Fangio thinks that is good for Lock. He could be right. It could provide some motivation. It might well have been what was best for Lock in the long term.

Sam Darnold is a much better prospect than Drew Lock, but throwing Darnold into the game with a horrible Jets team has apparently shattered his confidence and screwed up his development. The Jets are well into the process of ruining him.

So, maybe this delay is what is best for Lock. It's hard to argue it's what is best for the organization though.

They know Brandon Allen is just a scrub. All 6th and 7th round QBs not named Tom Brady are scrubs. Are there even any exceptions starting in the NFL? I don't think so.

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver 6m
    Vic Fangio: Heuerman and James are doubtful. Hamilton questionable. Callahan going to IR

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver 6m
    Bryce Callahan’s season will officially end when he goes to IR. Tim Patrick will take his place on the 53-man roster, per Vic Fangio.

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver 5m
    Fangio: The screw put in Bryce Callahan’s foot got bent. Caused discomfort and pain, at too high a level to play. Will have further surgery. “This time we need to make sure the screw isn’t bent — go to a better hardware store,” Fangio said.

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver 5m
    Fangio said he doesn’t know when the screw got bent. The surgery he will have to put a new screw in should have him ready to go for next season, Fangio said.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

You didn't even scratch the surface! What about Ben Roethlisberger who fed some drunk chick even more drinks until she was totally hammered and then followed her into the women's room where she went to get away from him, and either had consensual sex with her or perhaps rape.

He screwed up so badly over that little incident that he had to totally change his life -- he had to grow up essentially. And this was after he's already played in 2 Super Bowls. Now he's happily married with family (I think). But, you don't see such off field problems out of him any more.

Although some ex-Steelers have criticized him as not a great teammate, a lot of that criticism can be traced back to Antonio Brown so we can discount most of it.

I don't think that saying Drew Lock lacks a certain degree of emotional maturity coming into the league is not surprising. Not everybody is suddenly Peyton Manning.

I heard Nick Ferguson (former Broncos S) on the radio talking about Manning. He said it was like Manning was the star pupil who sat at the front of the class and always had the answer to every question when they were doing the white board.

He answered every question himself while the coaches and players listened.

Lock isn't like that. He comes in and has to learn what an NFL culture really is. The amount of work and dedication it takes is way off the charts.

So, sitting back and having to study and sit not play due to injury makes Lock start to realize what Lynch never did -- this job isn't a given. You have to work your butt off learning the system and how to play QB in this league to have a chance to start. They're not going to just hand it to you on a silver platter.

And Fangio thinks that is good for Lock. He could be right. It could provide some motivation. It might well have been what was best for Lock in the long term.

Sam Darnold is a much better prospect than Drew Lock, but throwing Darnold into the game with a horrible Jets team has apparently shattered his confidence and screwed up his development. The Jets are well into the process of ruining him.

So, maybe this delay is what is best for Lock. It's hard to argue it's what is best for the organization though.

They know Brandon Allen is just a scrub. All 6th and 7th round QBs not named Tom Brady are scrubs. Are there even any exceptions starting in the NFL? I don't think so.
    Not sure Darnold>Lock is a very valid argument. Lock was a an allegedly 1st round talent too and he has a much larger sample size 2 years to 4. There were many questions about Darnold coming out they seem to have bled into his time with the NYJ.

I don't think skill wise there's a huge chasm between Lock and Darnold, all im saying.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Sigh, the screw isnt the only thing getting bent in this deal!

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information