Thread: Colts vs Dolphins Circa 1999

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Colts vs Dolphins Circa 1999

So somebody posted a condensed game of the matchup between Indy and Miami when Jimmy Johnson was coaching the Dolphins and Jim Mora was coaching the Colts. The QB's were Manning and Marino and watching it i felt myself looking at all the types of tackling going on and saying to myself yea that isnt allowed today, etc. But i also noticed just how much better the offensive line blocking was in general compared to the NFL today. Is it because of scheme? Or are Oline players not as good today? My opinion it had to do with scheme as Miami was using some max protection keeping Marino upright and this also turned out to be the game where Manning had gotten sacked for the first time in that season. But even as a whole his blocking was marvelous as both QB's had tons of time to pick each other's defense apart.

One interesting thing though was with 2 minutes left the Colts elected to take a safety from the 10 or 15 yd line instead of punting it away. Well, the Dolphins still drove down the field and scored the game winning TD. I dont know what Mora was thinking there. Lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    So somebody posted a condensed game of the matchup between Indy and Miami when Jimmy Johnson was coaching the Dolphins and Jim Mora was coaching the Colts. The QB's were Manning and Marino and watching it i felt myself looking at all the types of tackling going on and saying to myself yea that isnt allowed today, etc. But i also noticed just how much better the offensive line blocking was in general compared to the NFL today. Is it because of scheme? Or are Oline players not as good today? My opinion it had to do with scheme as Miami was using some max protection keeping Marino upright and this also turned out to be the game where Manning had gotten sacked for the first time in that season. But even as a whole his blocking was marvelous as both QB's had tons of time to pick each other's defense apart.

One interesting thing though was with 2 minutes left the Colts elected to take a safety from the 10 or 15 yd line instead of punting it away. Well, the Dolphins still drove down the field and scored the game winning TD. I dont know what Mora was thinking there. Lol
    Remember when Belicheck did that do us, down 4 points? We got the ball, 3 & out, they got it back and scored the winning TD.

3. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Remember when Belicheck did that do us, down 4 points? We got the ball, 3 & out, they got it back and scored the winning TD.
    In that scenario i understood the thinking, but here the Colts were up and were afraid to give away field position. Never even mattered in the end. I think there was left time left in NE game right?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

OL play is down across the board because of bullshit college schemes, the players are still getting bigger/stronger/faster/quicker but they’re never asked to do what the NFL wants them to in college.

The OL Bolles played on in college was highly regarded ... they all suck in the NFL.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information