Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Schlereth Rips Elway on National TV!

Because of the current futility, it is interesting to look back and wonder what would have happened had McDaniels been willing to work with Jay Cutler.

Everything would have been different. John Elway would almost certainly have been fired by now (no championship and he would have begun his QB hunting fiasco even earlier). You see John actually liked a franchise QB in the 2012 draft, but with Peyton coming to town he didn't feel he could draft a 26 QB by the name of Brandon WEeden. Brandon Weeden was "more mature" and Elway really liked him.

But, if you just gave Peyton a 5 year deal it just makes no sense to draft a 26 year old rookie QB. He'd be nearly 30 by the time Peyton was ready to retire.

So, he got a very young QB named Brock Osweiler in the 2nd round. But, if Peyton hadn't come to town -- Elway would have drafted Brandon Weeden. The first three years of Elway's tenure would have been trying to justify letting Tim Tebow go for Brandon Weeden. That wouldn't have gone over well with the fan base.

Some of the Tebowites were still butt-hurt the Broncos signed Manning and got rid of their tin hero -- despite Manning being 100% better. But, Elway really didn't like Tebow as his QB.

I remember Elway's first year in training camp, watching Elway personally looking at Tebow's mechanics. Tebow was struggling and failing to master the footwork and timing of being a drop back NFL QB and there was Elway with a pained look on his face about 5 ft. away from Tebow taking it all in. He didn't look happy at what he was seeing, which was Tebow sailing passes all over the field, into the stands, etc. There was just no accuracy.

And I remember at the time thinking "no way Elway is thinking 'this is my QB of the future!' No way! Elway's going to find a way to get rid of him." And he did.

2. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Nobody liked Tebow, he was horrible.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

4. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Because of the current futility, it is interesting to look back and wonder what would have happened had McDaniels been willing to work with Jay Cutler.

Everything would have been different. John Elway would almost certainly have been fired by now (no championship and he would have begun his QB hunting fiasco even earlier). You see John actually liked a franchise QB in the 2012 draft, but with Peyton coming to town he didn't feel he could draft a 26 QB by the name of Brandon WEeden. Brandon Weeden was "more mature" and Elway really liked him.

But, if you just gave Peyton a 5 year deal it just makes no sense to draft a 26 year old rookie QB. He'd be nearly 30 by the time Peyton was ready to retire.

So, he got a very young QB named Brock Osweiler in the 2nd round. But, if Peyton hadn't come to town -- Elway would have drafted Brandon Weeden. The first three years of Elway's tenure would have been trying to justify letting Tim Tebow go for Brandon Weeden. That wouldn't have gone over well with the fan base.

Some of the Tebowites were still butt-hurt the Broncos signed Manning and got rid of their tin hero -- despite Manning being 100% better. But, Elway really didn't like Tebow as his QB.

I remember Elway's first year in training camp, watching Elway personally looking at Tebow's mechanics. Tebow was struggling and failing to master the footwork and timing of being a drop back NFL QB and there was Elway with a pained look on his face about 5 ft. away from Tebow taking it all in. He didn't look happy at what he was seeing, which was Tebow sailing passes all over the field, into the stands, etc. There was just no accuracy.

And I remember at the time thinking "no way Elway is thinking 'this is my QB of the future!' No way! Elway's going to find a way to get rid of him." And he did.
    Another "what if": What if Shanahan punted in Week 16 of the 2008 season instead of trying a FG with 2:00 left in the half (Denver was beating the Bills 13-3)?

A punt at midfield (Prater missed a 54-yard FG in the cold) should have put the Bills inside the 20. They probably don't score, and the Broncos may have a shot at getting the ball before half and making it 16 or 20-3 (which almost would have been game over). Instead, the Bills went down (with good field position) and got a TD before half to cut it to 3. They went on to a 30-23 victory, depriving the Broncos of a division-clinching win.

With a win in that game, Shanny is back in 09 no matter what happens in the playoffs (which probably would have been a 55-31 loss to the Colts in the WC round). Brandon Marshall may have been gone (Shanahan allegedly would have cut or traded him), and the Broncos would have been picking 19th (he wanted Orakpo, but he was gone, so maybe Shanny takes Clay Matthews, Jr. instead).

The D would have had to be improved the next year. And, with QB coach Bates back, Cutler gets to continue in his maturation. You probably see the Broncos get into the playoffs (instead of the Jets) and maybe win a game before losing in SD or Indy. They also probably make it the same length in the playoffs (or further) in 2010, so Elway isn't hired.

6. The Following User High Fived 7DnBrnc53 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Nobody liked Tebow, he was horrible.
    Tebow grew on me. I was in shock when McDouche drafted him high. That was a ghastly mistake. But he did what he Could, played his ass off, had a great attitude and was a great leader. He can’t help that he was picked so high. Love me some Tebow.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

I loved Tebow. He was such a fun Qb. Easy to root for. Led the team to some enjoyable moments and gave us one of the wildest seasons in NFL history.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Tebow would have the Broncos as 5 time Champs. He lost to the greatest coach and GOAT QB in Foxboro, and he played the game with a broken rib.

He should have sat behind Manning, and we never would have drafted Oz.

If the Broncos went and got him right now, he would still be more in his prime then Flucco.

I don't think that's true. I do know Tebow was more enjoyable than TS, Keenum, or Flacco. He was certainly the only one out of those guys who was worth rooting for. TS was devoid of NFL talent. Keenum whined when Zimmer didn't 'believe in him' and Flacco quit on us. Tebow was at least an onfield warrior.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    Tebow would have the Broncos as 5 time Champs. He lost to the greatest coach and GOAT QB in Foxboro, and he played the game with a broken rib.

If the Broncos went and got him right now, he would still be more in his prime then Flucco.
    It's amazing to me that people can possibly say things like this with a straight face.

Sorry, but there is not any possible scenario where Tim Tebow becomes a successful NFL QB. None. He played for several other teams after all, and none of them could get him to be successful including McDaniels who had every incentive to help him succeed after having drafted him. Nope.

He just couldn't learn to throw a forward pass. The Patriots showed the NFL exactly how you deal with Tim Tebow. Just sit back in coverage with 8 men and when he tries to take off and run, come up and break his ribs.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I don't think that's true. I do know Tebow was more enjoyable than TS, Keenum, or Flacco. He was certainly the only one out of those guys who was worth rooting for. TS was devoid of NFL talent. Keenum whined when Zimmer didn't 'believe in him' and Flacco quit on us. Tebow was at least an onfield warrior.
    More enjoyable? The streak was more enjoyable sure. But, all that happened was that Tebow had a short streak during his career before teams got enough tape on him to figure out how to stop him.

That happens a lot after all. Look at Brock Osweiler. Had some success in 2015 and won a few games before everybody figured him out, but after that it was all downhill and now he's totally out of football forever. Simply a bust.

Initial success doesn't mean anything. And it didn't mean anything with Tebow either. A fluke win is still a fluke win. And the fact that he was never able to do anything like that again proves it was a fluke.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I’d rather watch Keenum throw to TS than watch another minute of Tebow football. I'd rather drink turpentine and piss on a brush fire. I’d rather listen to Cher and Kid Rock sing show tunes.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

18. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

I’d rather watch Keenum throw to TS than watch another minute of Tebow football. I'd rather drink turpentine and piss on a brush fire. I’d rather listen to Cher and Kid Rock sing show tunes.
    Why do you hate playoff wins?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Tebow didnt want to sit behind Manning man, he wanted to be a starter. In some ways i cant blame him because of the playoff run we made but from what i understand he never wanted to go back to being a backup. Even when he was traded to the Jets he thought he would have a better chance at being a starter than in Denver with Pey Pey there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    Tebow grew on me. I was in shock when McDouche drafted him high. That was a ghastly mistake. But he did what he Could, played his ass off, had a great attitude and was a great leader. He can’t help that he was picked so high. Love me some Tebow.
    He wasn’t a great leader, he was a punchline in the halftime locker room (from somebody in the locker room, take it fwiw). You can’t be a rah rah guy when you don’t belong.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Why do you hate playoff wins?
    Because they were followed by playoff reality checks.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

He’d still suck worse than Flacco too.

Tebow makes Brandon Allen look like Joe Montana, he makes every QB look like Montana.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information