Poll: Elway should be fired/resign.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Default Elway

What should be done with him?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

If he directs the coaches to play Lock as soon as he's eligible and he deals Harris and admits a rebuild, I'd give him one more chance to right things. If we stick with Flacco and he stubbornly acts like we're still trying to win now, I'm done with him.

I hated pretty much all his comments today though, and I'm not all that confident he'll do any of those things I listed. It's hard to admit, but it really might be just about time for him to go.

3. The Following 6 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

So I guess I'm somewhere between options 2 and 3 right now but inching ever so close to the first one.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

The question is: Does Joe Ellis even have the power to fire Elway? With no owner in place, it's not totally clear. I think Ellis will be really slow to fire Elway given SB50 and given Bowlen hand-picked Elway to have that job...

Also, hypothetically speaking, if Ellis did fire Elway - do we trust him to pick the next guy? I assume they'd form some GM hiring committee of old time league insiders who Ellis is connected to, Tom Coughlin/Gary Kubiak types, to tell them who to hire next. I don't love that scenario either.

I think the job is probably his at least until the ownership situation is resolved or until he decides to step down.

7. The Following 7 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Unfortunately, it seems like Elway is a dinosaur stuck in the past as to how football was in the 80s and 90s, got lucky having Manning fall into his lap, and now is refusing to adapt. I'd love to hire an analytically driven GM, get a young coach off the Reid/Peterson tree, and move into the future. We're basically going to be stuck trying dinosaur football as long as Elway is here I fear.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems like Elway is a dinosaur stuck in the past as to how football was in the 80s and 90s, got lucky having Manning fall into his lap, and now is refusing to adapt. I'd love to hire an analytically driven GM, get a young coach off the Reid/Peterson tree, and move into the future. We're basically going to be stuck trying dinosaur football as long as Elway is here I fear.
    Yep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

They hired Scangarello because he wa going to bring Shanny Jr updated WCO, if Elway is stuck in the 80’s and 90’s it’s because of the notion that 8-8 is an improvement in any way/shape/form.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

If he directs the coaches to play Lock as soon as he's eligible and he deals Harris and admits a rebuild, I'd give him one more chance to right things. If we stick with Flacco and he stubbornly acts like we're still trying to win now, I'm done with him.

I hated pretty much all his comments today though, and I'm not all that confident he'll do any of those things I listed. It's hard to admit, but it really might be just about time for him to go.
    Basically this, if John is serious about rebuilding finally instead of patchwork BS than ill give him a couple of more years. But if he is going to continue to say we are a playoff team,etc than its time for him to step down.

14. The Following 7 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

They hired Scangarello because he wa going to bring Shanny Jr updated WCO, if Elway is stuck in the 80’s and 90’s it’s because of the notion that 8-8 is an improvement in any way/shape/form.
    Crazy how the Niners, outside of their QB, have one or two players on offense that anyone knows.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Maybe, but I don't feel the grass is always greener. Those coaching trees come with their issues too. Analytic GMs have their failures too. There is a balance.

While these are hard times, Elway has notched 2 respectable drafts in a row. This is a GM that is growing, and one who has excelled with great draft position. This is quite possibly the WORST time to fire Elway.

I'm willing to give this coaching staff and Elway 2 seasons. If they don't make the playoffs next season, Elway and Fangio both should be fired.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Maybe, but I don't feel the grass is always greener. Those coaching trees come with their issues too. Analytic GMs have their failures too. There is a balance.

While these are hard times, Elway has notched 2 respectable drafts in a row. This is a GM that is growing, and one who has excelled with great draft position. This is quite possibly the WORST time to fire Elway.

I'm willing to give this coaching staff and Elway 2 seasons. If they don't make the playoffs next season, Elway and Fangio both should be fired.
    I'm willing to give Elway more time IF he fully commits to a rebuild. If we're trotting Flacco out the rest of this year and into the next, then bye bye Elway.

19. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Elway is a Broncos hero, but we need someone without a high likelihood of CTE/ALS symptoms (& the accompanying self-medication of the personality type) to guide the ship.

Maybe too harsh, but someone needs to say it--even if it's not 100% provable.

Love the dude. Concerned about the ship.

Results are in--Elway, minus Manning, after ten years is measurably a failure. You have to give him credit for the Manning years though.

Given the jacked up ownership situation, I hope he pulls it together. Like Buff said--given this trust structure, what's the alternative?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

21. The Following 7 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post

You called the Flacco trade months before it happened. I thought it was insane, because it would likely be miserable. But you nailed down the thinking of JE, because you're smart as all hell. You called the shot....like a boss.

We got Flacco, and it's been miserable. What's more miserable is the restructure of Flacco's contract. We're basically married to him at this point. How is that, in and of itself, not firable given the futility before? Yeah, Elway is getting better, but does that mean his past drafts don't count? Some of the players we drafted that we thought were going to be studs from those classes haven't panned out, either.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

I hate this argument. Lucky? Lucky? Like 3 teams wanted manning first of all. Have the people here thought he was done.

Next- elway literally went out and built the best offense the NFL has Ever seen!!! It got them to the sb but blown out.
    When manning and the offense didnt work he went out and built one of the best defenses the NFL has ever seen literally after the following year.

That is not lucky. That is not even close to lucky and manning had NOTHING to do with the second part. That is a lazy argument people post because they seem to think every team just magically moves on from a HOF qb within 3 years.

Luck has nothing to do with it. That was all Elway the whole time. 100%. And not debatable.

The colts never had the best offense in nfl history. The colts never had one of the best defenses in nfl history. So dont retort with free agents coming here for peyton. Also another false and lazy argument.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

25. The Following 10 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

As for Elway being gone. If we go into next season without a top qb from this draft or without knowing what we have in lock, then I will start that way myself. For now, we may have our qb. If so, then we know what Elway can build and quickly.

Lock this year/high qb draft pick this year will determine how he hangs on....I feel herbert so much and I dont know if I want him.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

27. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information