Thread: Gaming laptop under $1000

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Default Gaming laptop under $1000

I plan on buying my son a gaming laptop for Xmas. I dont know anything about them. I want to spend under $1000. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction.

Is it best for that budget to buy used? Is it better to buy one that is new but not as high powered and add components later? Is there an off the shelf model for that price that will be really good?

I also want him to be able to use it for email and schoolwork and that kind of stuff, not sure if that matters. I assume if it's good enough for games it will work for writing papers and emailing teachers.

2. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I plan on buying my son a gaming laptop for Xmas. I dont know anything about them. I want to spend under $1000. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction.

Is it best for that budget to buy used? Is it better to buy one that is new but not as high powered and add components later? Is there an off the shelf model for that price that will be really good?

I also want him to be able to use it for email and schoolwork and that kind of stuff, not sure if that matters. I assume if it's good enough for games it will work for writing papers and emailing teachers.
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/...r---black?ob=1

You are welcome.

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Ok, I see that's only open-box. There's one for 899, but it's in-store. Looks complete, just no documentation (none is needed, you can get the pdfs online). If you could get the 2-yr warranty on it, that's what I'd do if I was in Denver. Alternatively, if you can stretch it to 1400, this setup is unbelievable at the price--compares favorable/superior to $2500 Alienware setups. It's Microcenter's house brand--specs are unreal, no bloatware, just the goods.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...mputer---black

6. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Cool thanks for the info Hawg. I'll be in Denver in early December for work, I'll stop by that place and check it out. I have some OT coming in November so maybe I can save a few more schekles or hopefully get a deal on an open box one.

Looking into these things is crazy. It seems like there's endless information and none of it to help an out of touch old dude like me understand the first thing about them.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Cool thanks for the info Hawg. I'll be in Denver in early December for work, I'll stop by that place and check it out. I have some OT coming in November so maybe I can save a few more schekles or hopefully get a deal on an open box one.

Looking into these things is crazy. It seems like there's endless information and none of it to help an out of touch old dude like me understand the first thing about them.
    I just bought one a few months ago, I know the feeling. I thought I was going to get any number of laptops--Dell, Acer, Asus, etc.--but ended up getting a 15" Powerspec. It's like a college education just buying a freaking device.

Anyway, you can't touch the performance of the Powerspec unless you spend 2k or more. Order of magnitude more powerful at the price point. If gaming is a main consideration, it's my recommendation.

9. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

dont get a gaming laptop.

they overheat, and good chance it will be broken in 4 years.

just get a desktop

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

I bought my brand new MacBook Pro at the Apple store last month and love it!

However, you can check it out at Tiger Direct. They have many good deals on laptops. Check this out. http://www.tigerdirect.com/?cm_sp=Masthead-_-Logo-_-NA

I hope you can find a good deal there. Happy Shopping!

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    dont get a gaming laptop.

they overheat, and good chance it will be broken in 4 years.

just get a desktop
    You should check out the PowerSpec, Shane. What really sold me are the temps it keeps under load. Pretty impressive...

I have a gaming laptop, MSI, and it's splendid. When I have a game up I do have to run the cooler boost option, but it's there for a reason. Chazoe, you can get something solid for a grand. However, gaming laptops tend to be a bit of a beast because they're harder to upgrade over time. That is starting to change. It's a helluva gift though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

14. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Calling wayninja.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Getting a rig with an RTX card for ~$1400 is amaze-balls. These things run games better than most desktops. I'd get the warranty. Shane's right about temps, need to know how hot the thing runs--it can be a limfac. I just saw this one, the price is good, but not sure how well it handles getting hot.

https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-tu...82E16834235202

17. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Regarding his ability to do school work on the laptop. Yeah, he should be more than fine. The only issue isn't so much the laptop itself as Microsoft's stupid 360 setup, or whatever it's called. You essentially get the license to use word and all that junk for a year. If you have an older license, he should be able to download whatever older license he had to the laptop. Office. that's right! Microsoft Office. That's what it's called.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

19. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Regarding his ability to do school work on the laptop. Yeah, he should be more than fine. The only issue isn't so much the laptop itself as Microsoft's stupid 360 setup, or whatever it's called. You essentially get the license to use word and all that junk for a year. If you have an older license, he should be able to download whatever older license he had to the laptop. Office. that's right! Microsoft Office. That's what it's called.
    Yeah, the subscription model for Office is a pain in the ass, but it's still better than Google's stuff imo. I can't get around MS Word...hate it but there's nothing better. Friggin Bill Gates.

21. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Yeah, the subscription model for Office is a pain in the ass, but it's still better than Google's stuff imo. I can't get around MS Word...hate it but there's nothing better. Friggin Bill Gates.
    I laugh every time I download MS Office 2013. Eat it, Bill!

23. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I laugh every time I download MS Office 2013. Eat it, Bill!
    Yeah, I've my old discs, but there's actually a ton of stuff that comes with Office 365...stuff that you never knew existed but is pretty solid...MS Forms is good. And some scheduling apps. It's not the worst way to spend $100, and students and stuff can usually get a discount.

25. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information