Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the best new phone?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Usability is just as important as specs though, if not moreso. Apple can have better specs while overall being a worse product due to usability. In any case, Joe has already said his original post sucked and should have been worded better.
    Well at least we can both agree that Joe is the devil.
    You are the MSNBC of BroncosForums!

2. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    I don't know about Apple, but you can get at least a half dozen versions of Battleship, chess, solitaire, etc., ranging from garbage versions to adequate.
    There has to be more to this than homemade Battleship apps. Anyone?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    You are the MSNBC of BroncosForums!
    I overlooked your first misstep - but now I have no choice but to demand you G-T-F-O of my thread. You're all on thin ice here.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    There has to be more to this than homemade Battleship apps. Anyone?
    I'm pretty sure that at least 99.9% of the quality apps that you can get on 1 you can also get on the other.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I overlooked your first misstep - but now I have no choice but to demand you G-T-F-O of my thread. You're all on thin ice here.
    BroncoWave is now officially Rachel Maddow to me.

There. I said it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Apple doesn't create the apps. The Waze app is not created by Apple. The Weather Channel app is not created by Apple. So on and so forth. They are very much more restrictive, but their software and tightassness is what keeps their OS running so smoothly.
    Tell me moar about this tightassness.

I may have to give apple a closer look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Tell me moar about this tightassness.

I may have to give apple a closer look.
    Slim <3 Apple's turdcutter.

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

I have an iPhone 8 Plus. I’m not sure what a newer phone can do that this one doesn’t. The technology seems maxed out at this point. The only thing that changes are the cameras.

14. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I have an iPhone 8 Plus. I’m not sure what a newer phone can do that this one doesn’t. The technology seems maxed out at this point. The only thing that changes are the cameras.
    The newer phones typically get more storage space, higher battery capacity, and more RAM. They definitely get a bit better year by year. Probably not by enough to get a new one every year, but I think it's worth it to upgrade every 2-3 years.

16. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The newer phones typically get more storage space, higher battery capacity, and more RAM. They definitely get a bit better year by year. Probably not by enough to get a new one every year, but I think it's worth it to upgrade every 2-3 years.
    I’m not a very good example, but I waited twice that and drove a phone into the ground. I’ve been kind of blown away by this phone, but I’m not naive as to why, I had a really old version that was dying.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I’m not a very good example, but I waited twice that and drove a phone into the ground. I’ve been kind of blown away by this phone, but I’m not naive as to why, I had a really old version that was dying.
    I'm like UR in that I use my phone pretty heavily for things like games and streaming so mine are usually pretty bad after 2 years. I don't even own a laptop anymore and I have a tablet that pretty much collects dust, so I do pretty much everything online on my phone.

19. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Right. I get this, but what does that actually mean?
    For apps that exist on both platforms, it means almost nothing. Other than the device specific gestures and other idiosyncrasies, the apps are effectively identical.

The difference is in the marketplaces. Apple operates as a "walled garden", which basically that means that if a developer writes an app and wants to sell it in the apple marketplace, it needs to be "approved" by apple first. The approval process costs more for developers for apple than it does for android. Android has basically the opposite philosophy where all applications are allowed and only removed if some information about why they should be removed comes to light.

What this ends up meaning, is that more developers want to write their applications for Android. It's simply less of a hassle all around. That's why Androids marketplace has steadily grown faster than Apples and now is about 20% larger, and that gap is growing every day. Ultimately though, the most popular apps are on both platforms. You can also sideload apps on android (which is just a fancy way of saying loading stuff that's not on the official store), which you can't do on iOS.

Android devices tend to be more financially competitive than Apples as well. That's not to say it's the exact same hardware and design and a lower cost, just that the bang for your buck on Android devices tend to be higher (you pay for the Apple name).

The biggest thing for me though, is the customization options that the Android OS has that Apple just doesn't. Apples whole philosophy is "you shouldn't need to change anything, because our way is the right way". Android offers WAY more ability to tweak the OS to your liking and even exposes elements of the base UI to be accessible by 3rd party apps so you can truly work the way you want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    For apps that exist on both platforms, it means almost nothing. Other than the device specific gestures and other idiosyncrasies, the apps are effectively identical.

The difference is in the marketplaces. Apple operates as a "walled garden", which basically that means that if a developer writes an app and wants to sell it in the apple marketplace, it needs to be "approved" by apple first. The approval process costs more for developers for apple than it does for android. Android has basically the opposite philosophy where all applications are allowed and only removed if some information about why they should be removed comes to light.

What this ends up meaning, is that more developers want to write their applications for Android. It's simply less of a hassle all around. That's why Androids marketplace has steadily grown faster than Apples and now is about 20% larger, and that gap is growing every day. Ultimately though, the most popular apps are on both platforms. You can also sideload apps on android (which is just a fancy way of saying loading stuff that's not on the official store), which you can't do on iOS.

Android devices tend to be more financially competitive than Apples as well. That's not to say it's the exact same hardware and design and a lower cost, just that the bang for your buck on Android devices tend to be higher (you pay for the Apple name).

The biggest thing for me though, is the customization options that the Android OS has that Apple just doesn't. Apples whole philosophy is "you shouldn't need to change anything, because our way is the right way". Android offers WAY more ability to tweak the OS to your liking and even exposes elements of the base UI to be accessible by 3rd party apps so you can truly work the way you want to.
    Thanks, this makes a little more sense. But I still just have no clue what that last bit means. Work the way you want? Like do what? And I owned an Android at one time. I don’t understand what you’re changing.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Thanks, this makes a little more sense. But I still just have no clue what that last bit means. Work the way you want? Like do what? And I owned an Android at one time. I don’t understand what you’re changing.
    It's vague because it's so broad. You can change layout of the homescreen, add widgets and shortcuts or even manipulate the entire interface by using a launcher.

It requires that you KNOW what you want to do. If you are happy with the default workflow/interface of the iOS, it's not a big deal. But for folks that expect to be able to refine how they work over time, iOS just sucks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Here are some things you can do on Android but not iPhone

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zdn...n-your-iphone/

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information