Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What is the best new phone?

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I'm Android all the way. I converted wifey too.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I'm waiting on my iPhone SE to show up at my doorstep. My first new phone since May 2015. Exciting.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I'm waiting on my iPhone SE to show up at my doorstep. My first new phone since May 2015. Exciting.
    I thought I was going to have to get an iPhone since the company makes some of our own apps for work and they were designed for iPhone.

I was wrong. Thank God.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I don't understand the iPhone hate. I've only had one iPhone and it's lasted me a long time, no screen cracks, and everything works just fine.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I don't understand the iPhone hate. I've only had one iPhone and it's lasted me a long time, no screen cracks, and everything works just fine.
    Because you are tethered to only their ecosystem

Some things you have to pay for that are Android for free.

Price- Even a mid tier Android has the same features for a fraction of the price

Screen durability at least Was a supreme problem for users

Forced updates that drag older models forces people to upgrade that didn't have to normally get a new phone

Slew of deep customization options that Apple doesn't allow

Camera of top Samsung and LG and even lesser models are comparable and have come a long way to iphones
    Last edited by Shazam!; 05-08-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Adopted Bronco:

I've always used Android phones and have never personally had any problems with them. For work, I am forced to use a MacBook after years of only using Windows PCs. Quite honestly...they all do the same shit...just differently. So a preference in one or the other really just seems to come down to which OS you have grown comfortable with.

8. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I got one but I think I will stick with my X and let my daughters use the SE.

I think the argument is the same as XBOX versus Playstation. I think it's more of whatever you're used to.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I like how Apple programmed in battery failure a while back. Clever way to drive up cashflow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I like how Apple programmed in battery failure a while back. Clever way to drive up cashflow.
    Brilliant! Forced upgrades.

That is why I will never pay for an Apple product. I have a work issued iPad, don't even own an ipod.

Between the planned obsolescence and the ridiculously restrictive ecosystem, I'm out.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

**** 🍎

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Brilliant! Forced upgrades.

That is why I will never pay for an Apple product. I have a work issued iPad, don't even own an ipod.

Between the planned obsolescence and the ridiculously restrictive ecosystem, I'm out.

I've had a Chromebook for several years, and have really enjoyed it for my goof off web browsing social media stuff. It links with my Android phone seemlessly. Of course, Big Brother Google being in the middle of all my shit is worrisome on some level, but it's the same for Apple users.

However, I got a little peeved last Fall when I suddenly got a notice that the update that was ready to install was the last one I'd receive. It would no longer be supported, no more updates, putting security at risk because no more security patches etc.

It was the first I'd heard of it, but I found out at that point that all Chromebooks have a planned end of service date where they will no longer receive updates. Planned obsolescence at its finest.

I purchased a new Chromebook, and I still love them, but I researched and did so knowing exactly when the end of service date was, and factored that heavily into my purchase.

#1 - I'm not going to pay top dollar for an expensive Chromebook knowing that it has an expiration date.

#2- I'm not going to buy a Chromebook that I have to turn around and replace in 2 years.

I settled on an Acer Spin 11. It has all the features I like - touch screen/fold over tablet style with a full keyboard etc. It's end of service date is July 2024, so I've got a little over 4 years, and the price through Best Buy was $279.00

All-in-all I think it's a fair value. Still upsets me that Google has begun doing similar planned obsolescence schemes as Apple. On the plus side, at least you can find the expiration date. It's not something like battery life or slower processing that just kind of comes out of the blue at you as with Apple.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I've had a Chromebook for several years, and have really enjoyed it for my goof off web browsing social media stuff. It links with my Android phone seemlessly. Of course, Big Brother Google being in the middle of all my shit is worrisome on some level, but it's the same for Apple users.

However, I got a little peeved last Fall when I suddenly got a notice that the update that was ready to install was the last one I'd receive. It would no longer be supported, no more updates, putting security at risk because no more security patches etc.

It was the first I'd heard of it, but I found out at that point that all Chromebooks have a planned end of service date where they will no longer receive updates. Planned obsolescence at its finest.

I purchased a new Chromebook, and I still love them, but I researched and did so knowing exactly when the end of service date was, and factored that heavily into my purchase.

#1 - I'm not going to pay top dollar for an expensive Chromebook knowing that it has an expiration date.

#2- I'm not going to buy a Chromebook that I have to turn around and replace in 2 years.

I settled on an Acer Spin 11. It has all the features I like - touch screen/fold over tablet style with a full keyboard etc. It's end of service date is July 2024, so I've got a little over 4 years, and the price through Best Buy was $279.00

All-in-all I think it's a fair value. Still upsets me that Google has begun doing similar planned obsolescence schemes as Apple. On the plus side, at least you can find the expiration date. It's not something like battery life or slower processing that just kind of comes out of the blue at you as with Apple.
    Correct, Google is upfront about it and tells you the date they will stop supporting. That's a far cry from what Apple does.

It's ridiculous to think any technology company will support a product with ongoing updates forever, but it should be clear when that end date is so I can factor that into a pricing decision. Especially when their top end phones are over $1,000 now

18. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I dunno, my iphone lasted 5 years and could've gone at least a year longer. No scratches, no issues other than the battery life (which I managed just fine while living in a place where I couldn't just plug my phone in whenever I wanted), being technologically behind somewhat, and probably having too much stuff on my 16GB phone making it run slow. But it lasted 5 years.

I submit human beings are just spoiled.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

I still have an Apple 5c and a 6 both with my Mexican number and TelCel SIM cards that work flawlessly. Both of those phones went to the beach all the time, on the dive boat and survived the harsh Caribbean climate.

I’ve got an 8 plus through Spectrum with US number. I think Apple phones are great. Also have the latest 128g iPad.

I used a Samsung Note tablet for years too. I like both platforms.

22. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information