3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    They’ll have Flacco for a few more seasons either way.
    you make me cry with this knowledge
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Nope, just fans in general.
    Lol well leave me out of that generalization

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Broncos fans wouldn’t a competent NFL starting QB if it kicked ‘em in the nuts, y’all probably still think you’re right about Flacco.

Painful truth incoming, it might be a really long time til Broncos find another starting QB this legitimate, but hey ... as long as he’s got “It”.
    Throwing a lot of money at an aging vet free agent QB is just about the worst possible way to throw away money in the NFL, unless you're really just a stacked team that is just a QB away from winning.

Is Flacco the best QB we've had since Manning? Probably. But what good does that do us on a team devoid of talent that isn't anywhere close to competing for a title?

We're stuck with him until Lock gets back, but at that point, every snap Flacco plays is a complete waste of a snap that could be spend getting our potential future at the position ready to go.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Flacco can be traded just fyi

Hell Elway found a home for Case K
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

7. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Throwing a lot of money at an aging vet free agent QB is just about the worst possible way to throw away money in the NFL, unless you're really just a stacked team that is just a QB away from winning.

Is Flacco the best QB we've had since Manning? Probably. But what good does that do us on a team devoid of talent that isn't anywhere close to competing for a title?

We're stuck with him until Lock gets back, but at that point, every snap Flacco plays is a complete waste of a snap that could be spend getting our potential future at the position ready to go.

Yep to all of this! To put it in perspective were paying about 19 million to Flacco and about 7 mil to Case this year. They are 0-8 as starting QB's this year, one is playing average football at best and the other just got benched for a rookie. Kyle Allen, Gardner Minshew (granted its injury related but there is a benefit to get rookies time) say hello you dumb ass broncos....The redskins decided to give haskins a shot in week 3 for a reason and Eli manning (who is avg. like Flacco) got benched for Jones. Murray isn't playing that bad either behind the worst OL in football.

Everything starts and stops at QB. You get you a guy, and play him because its f'in cheap you spend money and build around him. If your smart you go to the SB and have a shot at a championship while the dude is on his rookie contract before you must shell out 30 mil a year. By that time you hope you nailed how to draft and find depth so that when Expensive vets have to walk after 3 or 4 year deals you can either re-sign your homegrown talent on team friendly extensions before they walk to keep the window alive some more.

At no point do you trade for a Avg. QB or go into FA for some Bum with a certain resume and think with a ego that you can suddenly change the type of player he is because were the broncos....That's so f'in rare and never happens enough to justify considering that, over drafting elite QB talent and playing him because were in some mythical SB window with a team that's gone 11-25

That's how teams end up perennial losers....our 11-25 record since 2017 shows that's exactly what we have done and pursued.....

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

9. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Flacco can be traded just fyi

Hell Elway found a home for Case K

Not a chance in hell does Elway try and trade Flacco, he just re-did his contract towards the benefit of Flacco, not our Franchise. Unless Elway swallows the biggest pride in the entire organization i just don't see that happening.

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Yep to all of this! To put it in perspective were paying about 19 million to Flacco and about 7 mil to Case this year. They are 0-8 as starting QB's this year, one is playing average football at best and the other just got benched for a rookie. Kyle Allen, Gardner Minshew (granted its injury related but there is a benefit to get rookies time) say hello you dumb ass broncos....The redskins decided to give haskins a shot in week 3 for a reason and Eli manning (who is avg. like Flacco) got benched for Jones. Murray isn't playing that bad either behind the worst OL in football.

Everything starts and stops at QB. You get you a guy, and play him because its f'in cheap you spend money and build around him. If your smart you go to the SB and have a shot at a championship while the dude is on his rookie contract before you must shell out 30 mil a year. By that time you hope you nailed how to draft and find depth so that when Expensive vets have to walk after 3 or 4 year deals you can either re-sign your homegrown talent on team friendly extensions before they walk to keep the window alive some more.

At no point do you trade for a Avg. QB or go into FA for some Bum with a certain resume and think with a ego that you can suddenly change the type of player he is because were the broncos....That's so f'in rare and never happens enough to justify considering that, over drafting elite QB talent and playing him because were in some mythical SB window with a team that's gone 11-25

That's how teams end up perennial losers....our 11-25 record since 2017 shows that's exactly what we have done and pursued.....
    Us signing Manning is the only example I can think of in my life where a team signed an aging vet QB and won a title with him. That's just an extreme outlier that Elway seems to think he can repeat.

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Not a chance in hell does Elway try and trade Flacco, he just re-did his contract towards the benefit of Flacco, not our Franchise. Unless Elway swallows the biggest pride in the entire organization i just don't see that happening.
    Wasn't the move more about clearing cap space and recognizing Lock wasn't an option in 2019?

I would think the Broncos could find a home for Flacco on a QB-hungry team in 2020. But maybe not.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/...on-in-cap-room

14. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Wasn't the move more about clearing cap space and recognizing Lock wasn't an option in 2019?

I would think the Broncos could find a home for Flacco on a QB-hungry team in 2020. But maybe not.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/...on-in-cap-room
    We added 2 voidable years to clear cap space for 2019 so flacco got a bigger bonus. For franchise help all it did was give us more cap room for this year which now sitting at 0-4 is pretty much worthless although the rollover will help for a rebuild. However We would still take a very big dead money hit to cut him next year or a 23 mil cap hit to keep him. So to trade him we pretty much have to get a team to believe he is worth 23 mil next year....there are many obvious reasons that won’t happen unless a dominant contender suffers a injury at QB and the GM is drunk as hell

The whole thing was shit from the beginning and Elway just made it worse with the restructure.

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

If I'm not mistaken - can't cap space be carried over from year to year now? So essentially doesn't that cap room they created cancel out his dead money hit next year (assuming they don't use it this year)?

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    If I'm not mistaken - can't cap space be carried over from year to year now? So essentially doesn't that cap room they created cancel out his dead money hit next year (assuming they don't use it this year)?
    I know it’s some formula. If the plan was to restructure so we can cancel the dead hit when we cut Flacco then maybe John is smarter then all us

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Big brain question right here.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I know it’s some formula. If the plan was to restructure so we can cancel the dead hit when we cut Flacco then maybe John is smarter then all us
    The impression I got was that it does not limit Flacco's portability or restriction from termination in any meaningful sense--cap dollars and dead money hit are the road-kickable can. I understand that Flacco peed on your Cheerios and that's hard to forgive, but for the rest of us rational thinkers we shouldn't have a problem with the restructure.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Us signing Manning is the only example I can think of in my life where a team signed an aging vet QB and won a title with him. That's just an extreme outlier that Elway seems to think he can repeat.
    The worst part about all this is that we have 40+ years of football history.
    The Bears won a SB in '85 with great defense and Jim McMahon at QB, but they never got back to the SB let alone repeated.

Despite having a bunch of Hall of Fame players like Wilbur Marshall, Richard Dent, Walter Payton, Dan Hampton, it didn't matter because the Giants had Phil Simms and the 49ers had Joe Montana.

Same thing with the Ravens and Trent Dilfer, the Bucs with Brad Johnson and the Broncos with the Ghost of Peyton. None of these teams ever repeat. The Bears have been trying to repeat their '85 success ever since, (most notably in 2005 when Rex Grossman lost to Peyton Manning. It just flat does not work twice.

But, Elway is nothing if not delusional and he's been tilting at this particular windmill for years now.

Why? Because he doesn't want to patiently build a team from scratch, and his draft picks have been horrible anyway. He does everything with Free Agents.

The entire last three years have been a waste of time. There was never any real chance of winning a championship, but Elway refused to believe that he couldn't just rebuild the defense and win with Trevor Siemian, or Case Keenum, or Joe Flacco. Even if Flacco has his best season, it wouldn't be remotely good enough because the rest of the team is full of holes.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information