6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    MO got skills.
    MO is the best of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

A lot of work went into this thread.

I applaud.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    A lot of work went into this thread.

I applaud.
    MO is the best.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    MO is the best.
    You da best

7. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

MO!

I need an updated take on Fangio's 'Bend and then Break' defense that gives up the ass to JAX.

Or is it still pretty much exactly what we've seen the first three games without any wrinkles?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    MO!

I need an updated take on Fangio's 'Bend and then Break' defense that gives up the ass to JAX.

Or is it still pretty much exactly what we've seen the first three games without any wrinkles?
    To be honest, I don’t really feel like watching the All-22, but maybe when it’s available Tuesday. I didn’t see too much off hand. They’ve pretty much prescribed to that five man front and playing corners off. They blitzed a couple times, mostly in predictable spots and got beat. Corners still play off, which is apparently a staple of his “attacking” defense. I’m baffled at his rep as a defensive guru. I really am. I do wonder about the talent at DT and MLB, and wonder if that’s the key to the scheme? I don’t know. It sucks.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    To be honest, I don’t really feel like watching the All-22, but maybe when it’s available Tuesday. I didn’t see too much off hand. They’ve pretty much prescribed to that five man front and playing corners off. They blitzed a couple times, mostly in predictable spots and got beat. Corners still play off, which is apparently a staple of his “attacking” defense. I’m baffled at his rep as a defensive guru. I really am. I do wonder about the talent at DT and MLB, and wonder if that’s the key to the scheme? I don’t know. It sucks.
    I wonder if 'special' MLB is some magical key ingredient to his defense. The two years he's had elite results as a DC could be attributed to personnel rather than scheme:

2011, SFO, Overall defense 2d in points, 4th in yards, 1st in takeaways. Key players - N. Bowman, P. Willis, J. Smith, A. Smith, D. Goldson. 1st year as DC with J. Harbs as HC taking over from Singletary.
    2012, SFO, Overall ranks about the same, fewer takeaways. Same personnel.
    2013, SFO, same ranks (approx) same personnel, except Reid in at FS instead of D. Goldson.
    2014--SFO, some regression, 10th in points, 5th in yards, lost Bowman and Willis + Aldon Smith both only played 6 games

Testing out the hypothesis of personnel dependence: let's look at the jump between 2017 CHI and 2018 CHI. Big jump in defensive statistical rankings. 2017-->#10 defense, 2018-->#1 defense.

2017 personnel: this is weird because they only had 3(!) sixteen-game starters on defense--Kyle Fuller (CB), Eddie Jackson (S), and Akiem Hicks (DE). Holy crap did you know Hicks is listed at 352# DE? Two others who played 12 games: Prince Amuka and Danny T.

Anyhoo...

2018 personnel:

Roquan Smith, rookie, plays 16 games and leads team in tackles. 5 sacks and some PD's too. Not bad.
    Danny T plays all 16 games.
    Hicks, Jackson, and Fuller play all 16 again this year, with two of them getting All Pro nods and all 3 making the pro bowl (none made a pro bowl the previous year)
    The obvious big addition was K. Mack.

So no key ingredient departed after 2017, but they added Roquan Smith and Khalil Mack. In addition, they got 14-16 games from all their key defensive starters, unlike 2017.

In conclusion...he's had his best years when his off-the-line LBs are great against the run but are also great in coverage...

I think he needs his Bowman/Willis or his Roquan/Trevathan for the magic to happen.

12. The Following 5 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

So....Broncos should of went with Devin Bush?

14. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    So....Broncos should of went with Devin Bush?
    Was Mosley never an option? Looking at some FA misses, it feels like we should have Mosley, Whitworth, and Calais Campbell on the roster...and maybe we could have.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Or is my salary cap math way off?

How has Bush done so far for Pitt?

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Was Mosley never an option? Looking at some FA misses, it feels like we should have Mosley, Whitworth, and Calais Campbell on the roster...and maybe we could have.
    Not sure. I was high on a MLB this past draft. Time will tell if it all works out with how the 2019 draft went.

18. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Mosley is so overpaid he's no longer an asset to a team. Campbell might not have signed because of the tax in Florida, or lack thereof, but he might have if Elway matched Jaguars...it was two million more or so a year...we rolled over Ward's salary that season. Whitworth continues to be a top three, at worst LT, in football and the fact we missed on him is what hurts the most. And no, not just because he was my favorite player on another team...look at his contract and production. GDI.

Campbell would have been worth a win, and we needed just one more to hit the playoffs with Kubes last ride. If he was on the team now our D-Line pressure would be brutal, and he's a hoss against the run. Missing on him via lowballing him was not on-brand for Elway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

20. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Not sure. I was high on a MLB this past draft. Time will tell if it all works out with how the 2019 draft went.
    I remember D. White was big on your radar and I was cool with that...he's a Buc now?

Found this about D. Bush:
    Pittsburgh Steelers rookie Devin Bush is showing why the team drafted him No. 10 overall.

The linebacker had another big game Sunday, recovering two fumbles and finishing with a team-high 11 tackles in a 24-20 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

Bush leads 0-3 Pittsburgh with 40 tackles through three games.
    Getting gashed for however many rushing yards tells me that we are soft up the middle, personnel wise.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Mosley is so overpaid he's no longer an asset to a team. Campbell might not have signed because of the tax in Florida, or lack thereof, but he might have if Elway matched Jaguars...it was two million more or so a year...we rolled over Ward's salary that season. Whitworth continues to be a top three, at worst LT, in football and the fact we missed on him is what hurts the most. And no, not just because he was my favorite player on another team...look at his contract and production. GDI.

Campbell would have been worth a win, and we needed just one more to hit the playoffs with Kubes last ride. If he was on the team now our D-Line pressure would be brutal, and he's a hoss against the run. Missing on him via lowballing him was not on-brand for Elway.
    Mosley might be a money vacuum for the JEST, but I dare you to add up Menelik + Stephenson + Cravens + Ju'wan + Bryce...and say we have done better by avoiding that contract.

24. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information