Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why do you think we suck?

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Why do people assume Shanny would have been the cure all? He hasn’t been relevant in almost 20 years.
    i just told you, not a rookie headcoach. Has enough backround to develop a long term plan and not get fired before he has a chance to implement it.

right now this franchise is running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Doesnt know if its trying to contend with overpaid vets, or build a new team with young players.

2. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I thought Drew Lock was our QBOTF.
    Let’s hope so. We’ll have to actually see him play in order to figure that out. But we should be out of it by the time he gets off of IR so maybe we can see what we have

Elway. Elway has screwed up this team.

Here's how it happened step by step.

Step 1: August 2015.
    All Broncos observers were saying "they could re-do Brock Osweiler's contract now, instead of waiting like they always do. Now would be a good time." No deal. Finally they offered Osweiler a team friendly deal about November. He preferred to wait until FA to see what offers he would get. Meanwhile Kubiak put Manning back in for the Chargers game and then he started the playoffs.

Osweiler got into a shouting match with Kubiak over that. He felt he should continue to start. Season ended. Elway was shocked that the Texans offered $13m a year. He matched. They offered Osweiler $35m guaranteed on 2 years. He left.

Step 2: Denver now has no QB for the 2016 season. So, they drafted . . . . Paxton Lynch.

This one move does more than anything to screw up the Broncos for the next 3 seasons, because instead of a good young QB to develop they have. . . . Paxton. Then nobody.

Two years of trying to make Lynch the starter begin and end in a miserable failure. The team wins 9 games in 2016, but Kubiak leaves.

Step 3: Elway hires VJ instead of Kyle Shanahan. "He's a leader of men" Elway tells us. Actually, he isn't. The team goes 5-11 in 2017 with Trevor Siemian at Qb.

Step 4: Drafting and FA Bungles. Elway built the SB team through FA almost entirely (Manning, Sanders, TJ Ward, Aqib Talib, Demarcus Ware, etc.). His drafting is Ter-bysmal.

2013: 1st round, Sylvester Williams, 2nd round Montee Ball.
    2014: Bradley Roby, Cody Latimer, Michael Schofield.
    2015: Shane Ray, Ty Sambrailo.
    2016: Paxton Lynch, Adam Gotsis
    2017: Garrett Bolles, Demarcus Walker, Carlos Henderson

None of these guys were kept beyond their rookie contracts. Meanwhile the team failed to draft a QB. FA turns against Elway as his pernicious habit of waiting until the last moment to extend veteran contracts blows up in his face spectacularly. Immediately after the SB he loses key FA veterans: Osweiler, Danny Trevathan, Malik Jackson he could have kept if he had re-signed them earlier (both Trevathan and Jackson have publicly stated this after they were let go).

Step 5, 2017: Things really unravel with Trevor, Paxton, and Osweiler all taking turns at QB. VJ turns out to suck as a head coach. Team goes 5-11, is forced to get rid of Trevor.

Step 6: 2018 Draft.
    Surely at this point, the Broncos will draft a star QB? Right? Everybody is arguing whether it will be Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen or Lamar Jackson. The Broncos have the opportunity to draft Darnold, Allen or Jackson, all of whom now look better than any Broncos QB going forward. NOPE.

Elway when asked why the Broncos didn't draft a QB said "we're not kicking Paxton to the curb!" 4 months later they inevitably kick Paxton to the curb. Hubris about his draft pick and insisting on giving Paxton "one more chance!" is all I can think of as an explanation for that one.

Step Six, January 2018: VJ is almost fired, but then Elway gives him one more chance. This is quickly proven to be a mistake. Elway brings in Case Keesum who had one great season in MN and quickly proves why you don't hire backup QBs and expect them to suddenly "blossom!"

They go 6-10 and VJ is fired.

Step 7: Vic Fangio. Rejecting the trend for more RPO style offenses in the NFL, Elway goes in the opposite direction, bringing in dc Vic Fangio. He's a leader of men. Quickly, it appears he, like VJ is in over his head.

Step 8: They sign Joe Flacco who "is in his prime". Then they renegotiate and extend his contract. This is going to look more and more stupid as the season unravels since what is the point of an ageing veteran QB if the rest of your team is 5-11 or something?

Next: ???? All in all Elway has been utterly delusional about this team and constantly making wrong moves in the draft and FA.
    Last edited by Cugel; 09-15-2019 at 09:47 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

but what you just stated was false. Elway wanted to hire Shanny. Instead it was rejected by Ellis and he was basically settling with Fangio/vj
    Last edited by ShaneFalco; 09-15-2019 at 10:09 PM.

7. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

It usually starts at the top.

I miss Pat.

9. The Following 7 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I don’t suck, speak for yourself, King of 87’s.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

11. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    but what you just stated was false. Elway wanted to hire Shanny. Instead it was rejected by Ellis and he was basically settling with Fangio/vj
    You're mixing up your Shanahans. Elway brought Mike Shanahan in for a 1 day talk and decided to hire him. Ellis vetoed it as Shanny told him he would. There was really no chance Ellis would re-hire Mike Shanahan. And nobody is blaming Elway for that attempted move. Not many are blaming Ellis either. There's no proof that 90 year old Mike would have been a good choice.

But, the coaching choice he had in 2017 after Kubiak left came down to Kyle Shanahan versus Vance Joseph. Elway had been fascinated with hiring Joseph for years for reasons no one can explain then or now.

He was just a fan boy and had made up his mind to hire VJ when they got the chance to interview Kyle Shanahan. Elway was so impressed with Shanahan's performance in the interview he took an additional day to think about it, but ultimately he went back to his original choice, VJ.

Kyle Shanahan went on to SF while VJ turned out to suck bad. Three years later, Kyle Shanahan is still coaching in SF, but VJ is back to being an assistant coach with one of the worst teams in the league, the AZ Cardinals.
    Last edited by Cugel; 09-15-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Why do people assume Shanny would have been the cure all? He hasn’t been relevant in almost 20 years.
    nostalgia and wishful thinking. . .

two main issues here, kingsley. . .

1. the roster isn't good enough

2. we haven't been able to establish continuity with our schemes or our coaching staff

a string of bad drafts, coupled with the inability to find a legit franchise QB, have left the roster depleted. . . it was easy to see early in the process that this year's squad just didn't have enough depth or talent. . . especially when injuries hit, and they have. . . we're down our starting fullback (and core special teamer), our big money starting right tackle, our #3/#4 WR, one of our TEs, our most experienced third down back, our #2 corner, our starting MLB, and the guy who was likely going to be the third ILB. . . we're playing with inferior talents at critical spots like quarterback, left tackle, and outside corner, and it's really hurting us. . . callahan needs to limp his ass out there. . .

furthermore, we're on our 4th QB and 4th offensive system in 4 years. . . that is just NOT a recipe for success. . . particularly when you also replace your defensive scheme with one that apparently doesn't play to the strengths of your best players. . . von and chubb are supposed to be the backbone of this team right now, and fangio can't figure out how to deploy them to best advantage. . . bluntly, if those guys aren't wreaking havoc, we have very little shot to win. . .

there's not much we can do about the latter except cross our fingers, and hope the HC can get it corrected. . . as to the former, i still do believe that our new draft philosophy has us headed in the right direction. . . we just lost too many vets to FA this off-season, and didn't have enough resources to fill all the holes. . . they need to stay the course with the current approach to the draft-- and elway needs to suck it up, accept that this isn't a quick fix, and stop effing around with retread QBs. . . embrace this as a true rebuilding year, and play as many young guys as we can. . . they need to get lock out there when he's healthy, and try to figure out if we need to target a QB in next year's draft or not. . .

gonna be a bumpy ride, fellas-- buckle up. . .

“When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

14. The Following 5 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

wait so Lock only gets half this season to prove it? Paxton got 3 years...

Then we draft Herbert because he can score tds vs div 2 schools. lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    You're mixing up your Shanahans. Elway brought Mike Shanahan in for a 1 day talk and decided to hire him. Ellis vetoed it as Shanny told him he would. There was really no chance Ellis would re-hire Mike Shanahan. And nobody is blaming Elway for that attempted move. Not many are blaming Ellis either. There's no proof that 90 year old Mike would have been a good choice.

But, the coaching choice he had in 2017 after Kubiak left came down to Kyle Shanahan versus Vance Joseph. Elway had been fascinated with hiring Joseph for years for reasons no one can explain then or now.

He was just a fan boy and had made up his mind to hire VJ when they got the chance to interview Kyle Shanahan. Elway was so impressed with Shanahan's performance in the interview he took an additional day to think about it, but ultimately he went back to his original choice, VJ.

Kyle Shanahan went on to SF while VJ turned out to suck bad. Three years later, Kyle Shanahan is still coaching in SF, but VJ is back to being an assistant coach with one of the worst teams in the league, the AZ Cardinals.
    I was stunned he disnt go woth Kyle. Maybe Ellis got a major beef with Shanny
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

17. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Meh. I don't think this team is done yet. This team desperately needs to beat Green Bay though. Hopefully Bryce Callahan is recovered, and the team has held him out as a precaution.

19. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Meh. I don't think this team is done yet. This team desperately needs to beat Green Bay though. Hopefully Bryce Callahan is recovered, and the team has held him out as a precaution.
    Aaron Rodgers is goona look like, well... Aaron Rodgers. I don't think theyve ever won there. Lambau os the only place.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I think the main reason is because we are not very good.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Bad Coaching bad OLine play is a recipe for disaster.

wait so Lock only gets half this season to prove it? Paxton got 3 years...

Then we draft Herbert because he can score tds vs div 2 schools. lol
    We were way too patient with Lynch, and that was a major failing when we could have been looking at actual good QB's in the years after that. I don't want to rush Lock, so I don't know if we need to make a decision on him yet, but I'd like to see him play so we can know whether he actually has talent in game situations. Lynch never did.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information