Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Broncos ownership dispute resumes after Pat Bowlen’s eldest daughters file petition to invalidate trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I know enough about Alzheimer’s to know that its degenerative and it may take years before it completely robs an individual of their competency to make their own decisions. Pat Bowlen obviously had enough money to where it wouldn’t have caused him any financial difficulties to have annual checkups, so there’s no reason that his condition couldn’t have been diagnosed in its earliest stage. Its therefore within the realm of possibility that he may have still been competent to make his own decisions for serval years after he publicly disclosed his diagnosis.

However, I also know that human beings can be in complete denial about issues of this nature and refused to have annual checkups. My mom has been saying that my stepdad has been developing dementia for the last 8-10 years, but he refuses to go to a doctor for checkups, let alone testing for this specific issue. Its therefore within the realm of possibility that Pat Bowlen could have been dealing with this for years before he deteriorated to the point that he could no longer downplay his struggles.

So, can the sisters produce evidence that he was incompetent to redo the will in 2009? Maybe, but why didn’t they produce the evidence back in 2009 instead of waiting until the trust wasn’t letting them have their way as soon as they wanted it?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

2. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    It doesn't. It matters to us Broncos fans because we don't give a fig what the distributive share of the Trust is for each beneficiary, but only who controls the team and makes the decision to spend money and sign and fire the GM.

But, children of a deceased parent translate $ into the love of the parent they were denied. The children of the divorced spouse feel their father abandoned them and then favored his children by a second marriage over them. They feel dissed.

As a Trust and Estates lawyer I see this all the time.

It could have been handled a lot better by Pat Bowlen. He should have named his heir during his lifetime and not left it up to the trust and personally explained his choice directly to the heirs, except apparently, under the influence Annabel he preferred his children by his second wife rather than Beth and never made this explicit, leaving it in ambiguity.

But, he set up the trust language so that there were objective criteria for choosing an heir. Problem: Joe Ellis, his business partner knew what he wanted, and it wasn't for Beth to inherit. She basically met the criteria (business or law degree, 40 years old, etc.). But, the Trustees led by Ellis favored his younger children (probably according to Pat's wishes influenced by Annabel). But Brittany, the Trustee's choice was in her 20's which was too young under the terms of the Trust Agreement (from news reports).

I normally write special provisions into wills in cases of mixed-marriages with prior existing children because of this problem: the "Hansel and Gretel" syndrome. "Wicked step-mom" disinherits children by first spouse, in favor of her own, later born children after her husband, their father dies.

If Pat really wanted Brittany to become controlling owner he should have made that explicit in the Trust Agreement. Then Brittany would have been in control during his lifetime and the problem could have been avoided.

The whole thing is sad, multiplied by billionaire trust-fund babies with a strong sense of entitlement.

Fortunately for us, it probably won't matter. Beth is not too likely to succeed in her lawsuit and Brittany is probably several years away from being named controlling owner. So nothing here should affect the Broncos in the near term.
    The problem is that Beth, based on what we know about the criteria, isn't qualified. Beth has run a wedding/event planning site and did some small project, community outreach. Brittany, did a two year developmental stint at the NFL league office, plus in her time with the Broncos didn't work on fluff stuff, but worked on things like preparing a proposal to bring the Super Bowl to Denver. Since then, she's been completing her MBA (I believe) and working at a consulting firm to get an even more well rounded business background.

Even without knowing the exact criteria laid out by the Bowlen Trust, by any objective standard, Beth is not the kind of business owner you want running a $2 billion NFL franchise (or any other large business).

Do we know what conversations Pat had with his children? Do you know he didn't discuss the stipulation of the Trust, or is that just an assumption?

I agree that it's unlikely that Beth will succeed. If she does succeed in invalidating the trust, I think there is a good chance the NFL (or majority of kids) forces the Broncos to be sold, as they will be left with no controlling owner, and for many of the kids, they would probably prefer their share of a $2.7 billion Broncos sale. That might very well be Beth's end game.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    I know enough about Alzheimer’s to know that its degenerative and it may take years before it completely robs an individual of their competency to make their own decisions. Pat Bowlen obviously had enough money to where it wouldn’t have caused him any financial difficulties to have annual checkups, so there’s no reason that his condition couldn’t have been diagnosed in its earliest stage. Its therefore within the realm of possibility that he may have still been competent to make his own decisions for serval years after he publicly disclosed his diagnosis.

However, I also know that human beings can be in complete denial about issues of this nature and refused to have annual checkups. My mom has been saying that my stepdad has been developing dementia for the last 8-10 years, but he refuses to go to a doctor for checkups, let alone testing for this specific issue. Its therefore within the realm of possibility that Pat Bowlen could have been dealing with this for years before he deteriorated to the point that he could no longer downplay his struggles.

So, can the sisters produce evidence that he was incompetent to redo the will in 2009? Maybe, but why didn’t they produce the evidence back in 2009 instead of waiting until the trust wasn’t letting them have their way as soon as they wanted it?
    Also, due to the very slow onset of the disease, you aren't mentally incompetent to the point of not being able to execute a will, just because you are in the early stages of the disease. The reason it's so hard to diagnose, is because it isn't immediately debilitating. Reagan likely was in the early stages of Alzheimers when he was President, and he was very effective.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Also, due to the very slow onset of the disease, you aren't mentally incompetent to the point of not being able to execute a will, just because you are in the early stages of the disease. The reason it's so hard to diagnose, is because it isn't immediately debilitating. Reagan likely was in the early stages of Alzheimers when he was President, and he was very effective.
    Reagan had a full staff behind him to help steer policy decisions and prevent something bad happening. Bowlen had Joe Ellis advising him. There is good chance that Bowlen was not at 100% but was operational. Remember Cutler had stated Bowlen had talked with him on certain team actions that Bowlen later said he didn’t.

I think Joe Ellis and trust needs to go and their oversight of the franchise sucks. At the point I am for selling the team to a stable owner with resources vs the Bowlen family. All of which don’t impress me.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    ...At the point I am for selling the team to a stable owner with resources vs the Bowlen family. All of which don’t impress me.
    Be careful what you wish for. Because then Denver may become like the Bengals or the NYJ, a team more interested in selling tickets than actually winning.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. Because then Denver may become like the Bengals or the NYJ, a team more interested in selling tickets than actually winning.
    There is no indication that any of Bowlen family won’t be like that. Especial since the majority of money will come from the team. This franchise has chance to become a Mike Brown lead team with any of the kids and Joe Ellis advising them.

John Henry who owns the Red Sox, NASCAR team and Liverpool would be great owner if could get him.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

There is no indication that any of Bowlen family won’t be like that. Especial since the majority of money will come from the team. This franchise has chance to become a Mike Brown lead team with any of the kids and Joe Ellis advising them.

John Henry who owns the Red Sox, NASCAR team and Liverpool would be great owner if could get him.
    I have a 'little' confidence in Brittany.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

I have a 'little' confidence in Brittany.
    she proved nothing to show that she is ready to lead $3B organization.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/04/brittany-bowlen-broncos-owner-heir-apparent/

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/04/brittany-bowlen-broncos-owner-heir-apparent/
    Read it and still not impressed. She is the fastest fat kid of the family being chased by the bear. The son was leader of the pack (indication were he was the favored to get it), until his DWIs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I don't think there wpuld be anyone the fan base would be happy with, not even If it was Elway.

Reagan had a full staff behind him to help steer policy decisions and prevent something bad happening. Bowlen had Joe Ellis advising him. There is good chance that Bowlen was not at 100% but was operational. Remember Cutler had stated Bowlen had talked with him on certain team actions that Bowlen later said he didn’t.

I think Joe Ellis and trust needs to go and their oversight of the franchise sucks. At the point I am for selling the team to a stable owner with resources vs the Bowlen family. All of which don’t impress me.
    The team has been to two SBs and won one under Joe Ellis. How many teams have been to two and won one during that span?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

100%

This reeked to high heaven from the get-go.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Why can’t you do links?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Why can’t you do links?
    because he's a karen, and karens can't be bothered with menial peasant shit like links. . .

oh hey. . . . . . .

didn't YOU used to be link???!

shazam has no use for you, at all!!

“When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

18. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information