Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Antonio Brown Suspended for Week 1

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Probably the right call just for precedent sake. That would have just opened up too big a can of worms doing that based on a civil suit from one person.
    Yep, the current culture of guilty before proven innocent would just win another battle. Don't get me wrong, if an investigation reveals that this is even partly true, then civil lawsuit or not, I have no problem with him getting the book thrown at him.

But we can't keep expanding the "accusation counts against you" climate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Yep, the current culture of guilty before proven innocent.
    It's disgusting.

Yep, the current culture of guilty before proven innocent would just win another battle. Don't get me wrong, if an investigation reveals that this is even partly true, then civil lawsuit or not, I have no problem with him getting the book thrown at him.

But we can't keep expanding the "accusation counts against you" climate.

It needs to be a federal offense to wrongly accuse someone of rape or anything along those lines. With a mandatory of 5 years jail. I am all for legit claims and if they dont win in court thats fine, but these fake ones for cash grabs......That shit needs to come down hard!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

UR - I do agree, but the current figure of false rape claims is between 5-8%.

So whilst that 5-8 % need a consequence like you mentioned, lets never lose sight of the 92-95% that are legit (and the shockingly low number of prosecutions out of these)

Statistically, whilst cash grabs are possible - it is imfinitley more likely that an entitled d-bag used his position to groom, manipulate, coerce or simply rape someone.

Very few men know a rapist - but almost all women know someone who was raped, rather than blaming women we really need to hold men accountable for the culture that allows this to be the case.

If this crossed into P+R - please delete it, i am not trying to subvert rules or cause an argument, just using some stats to possibly enlighten some

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post

So whilst that 5-8 % need a consequence like you mentioned, lets never lose sight of the 92-95% that are legit (and the shockingly low number of prosecutions out of these)

Statistically, whilst cash grabs are possible - it is imfinitley more likely that an entitled d-bag used his position to groom, manipulate, coerce or simply rape someone.

Very few men know a rapist - but almost all women know someone who was raped, rather than blaming women we really need to hold men accountable for the culture that allows this to be the case.

If this crossed into P+R - please delete it, i am not trying to subvert rules or cause an argument, just using some stats to possibly enlighten some

Ill only add that likewise when its female on male rape it needs to be taken more seriously. Recent studies have shown that is just as common for female on male rape as it is male on female rape. But the double standard in society likes to act like it doesnt exist or even possible.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I may not argue with you about the 5-8% falsehood, but I'm more skeptical of the 92-95% "legit" number. There's a category in there where it's really neither (read; unsubstantiated). It's pretty hard to nail down that figure by the very nature of the unsubstantiation, but it precludes the 92-95% of being known "legit".

At the end of the day though, I'm not really interested in blaming anyone, man or woman, unless it's demonstrably shown that they committed a crime.
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I may not argue with you about the 5-8% falsehood, but I'm more skeptical of the 92-95% "legit" number. There's a category in there where it's really neither (read; unsubstantiated). It's pretty hard to nail down that figure by the very nature of the unsubstantiation, but it precludes the 92-95% of being known "legit".

At the end of the day though, I'm not really interested in blaming anyone, man or woman, unless it's demonstrably shown that they committed a crime.
    No, you make a totally fair point - i agree - there is a large grey area in that 92%, simply because so many of these allegations/assaults have no witnesses

10. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Ill only add that likewise when its female on male rape it needs to be taken more seriously. Recent studies have shown that is just as common for female on male rape as it is male on female rape. But the double standard in society likes to act like it doesnt exist or even possible.
    In the UK a female can not legally rape a man - rape must involve a penis penetrating another person without their consent

And, i have never saw those studies, so if you could link me to them that would be awesome

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

In the UK a female can not legally rape a man - rape must involve a penis penetrating another person without their consent

And, i have never saw those studies, so if you could link me to them that would be awesome
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...1CBwohZVsva3PM

13. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

So in the UK Wave could never rape someone? Interesting.

#PSIamenlightened
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

No, you make a totally fair point - i agree - there is a large grey area in that 92%, simply because so many of these allegations/assaults have no witnesses
    Yep, it becomes he said/she said and who's telling the truth is impossible to determine from an outside perspective.

I would also say that this is one of those weird situations where being rich and famous actually makes you more vulnerable here. Firstly, it's much easier to damage the reputation of someone who lives off of their reputation, and it's much more lucrative to settle lawsuits against someone who can pay to settle. That shouldn't be used as direct evidence of anything, but it's simply hard to ignore these facts when looking at the cases.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

interesting article

19. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Yep, it becomes he said/she said and who's telling the truth is impossible to determine from an outside perspective.

I would also say that this is one of those weird situations where being rich and famous actually makes you more vulnerable here. Firstly, it's much easier to damage the reputation of someone who lives off of their reputation, and it's much more lucrative to settle lawsuits against someone who can pay to settle. That shouldn't be used as direct evidence of anything, but it's simply hard to ignore these facts when looking at the cases.
    I also think that for a victim seeing someone that assaulted them get off with it and then get a huge pay day might double the feelings of unfairness so they do come forward whereas in other cases historical cases would just get buried in their subconsious.....you know without the public adoration of an indiviual they know to be a wrong un

And i don't really see those cases as a cash grab in the same way some might

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I also think that for a victim seeing someone that assaulted them get off with it and then get a huge pay day might double the feelings of unfairness so they do come forward whereas in other cases historical cases would just get buried in their subconsious.....you know without the public adoration of an indiviual they know to be a wrong un

And i don't really see those cases as a cash grab in the same way some might
    Yep, that's true. There's magnification either way due to the publicity of the famous person. So either it's an unfair slander that ruins a career, or it's a wound that never quite heals because there's this constant, public reminder.

23. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Yep, that's true. There's magnification either way due to the publicity of the famous person. So either it's an unfair slander that ruins a career, or it's a wound that never quite heals because there's this constant, public reminder.
    What a pleasurable and amicable discussion. you are a fine man, and a better trainer of anthropods (yeah thats right anthropods)

25. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information