Thread: Jake Butt to under go yet another knee surgery

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Jake Butt to under go yet another knee surgery

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

This was reported earlier in another Thread just fyi

I think Broncos should move on.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Tight end has to be the most injury prone position out there. A bunch of 6’4” 260 pound guys running wide receiver routes turning their joints and ligaments into Swiss cheese. Then getting taken out at the knees and ankles all the time because they’re too big to tackle. That’s when they’re not blocking like a lineman.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    Tight end has to be the most injury prone position out there. A bunch of 6’4” 260 pound guys running wide receiver routes turning their joints and ligaments into Swiss cheese. Then getting taken out at the knees and ankles all the time because they’re too big to tackle. That’s when they’re not blocking like a lineman.
    He's a special case though.

It's always a risk when you take an injured player in the draft. He was worth the late round pick (fifth if I remember correctly), because but for injury he would have gone much higher in the draft (most seemed to think first or second round).

I'm not sure moving on is needed unless the medical staff is convinced he will never be able to play, or he's taking up a roster spot that a productive player could be kept in.

Depending on the nature of the surgery, some of these scopes only have recovery periods of days to weeks, so he could be practicing again soon. If there is a longer recovery period, then they could IR him.

I haven't followed along enough to see how the TE depth chart looks (although I know a number of them have been dealing with nagging injuries).

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    It's always a risk when you take an injured player in the draft. He was worth the late round pick (fifth if I remember correctly), because but for injury he would have gone much higher in the draft (most seemed to think first or second round).

I'm not sure moving on is needed unless the medical staff is convinced he will never be able to play, or he's taking up a roster spot that a productive player could be kept in.

Depending on the nature of the surgery, some of these scopes only have recovery periods of days to weeks, so he could be practicing again soon. If there is a longer recovery period, then they could IR him.

I haven't followed along enough to see how the TE depth chart looks (although I know a number of them have been dealing with nagging injuries).
    So now it'll be Butt 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    So now it'll be Butt 2020?
    If he's not taking up a roster spot of a productive player, why not? It all comes down to whether the Broncos medical staff thinks he could eventually be healthy and if the Broncos coaching staff thinks that when healthy, he'll be a productive player. If those are both yes, then sure, Butt 2020 or Butt 2021.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

lol Butt

Derrick Rose thinks this guy has bad knees/legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

10. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Derrick Rose thinks this guy has bad knees/legs.
    This one bums me out. By all accounts hard worker and great dude - he’s just been so unlucky.

Meanwhile a guy like Paxton Lynch - perfectly healthy, blows his chance with poor work ethic.

12. The Following User High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos TE Jake Butt to have minor knee operation

Jake Butt will have a “minor scope” done on his left knee, the Broncos’ tight end announced on social media Wednesday.

“Going into my junior year at Michigan, I had a similar scope procedure done roughly 10 months after my first ACL injury,” Butt wrote on his Twitter page. “I then went on to play some of the best football of my career in the two years following.”
    rest - https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/201...-knee-surgery/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    This one bums me out. By all accounts hard worker and great dude - he’s just been so unlucky.

Meanwhile a guy like Paxton Lynch - perfectly healthy, blows his chance with poor work ethic.
    I don't have use for either guy. One guy is all heart but no body and no durability. The other guy is all talent and no heart and no brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Well, to finish off this thread: "9-2-19 Broncos placed QB Drew Lock, TE Jake Butt and RB Theo Riddick on injured reserve."

Since they are extremely likely to bring back Riddick and Lock as soon as they can and since they can only designate 2 players to return from IR in one season, Butt will be on IR all year and they'll give him a last chance next spring. He'd have to stay healthy for the entire pre-season if they are to take a chance on keeping him on the active roster.

On the other hand their TE depth is pretty bad, which is why they brought in Andrew Beck off waivers from the Patriots.

2018 review: After missing his entire 2017 campaign because of a broken foot, Andrew Beck bounced back well during his redshirt senior season at Texas: he appeared in all fourteen of the Longhorns’ games as the school’s top tight end option. As such, the starter saw regular action as both a blocker and a pass catcher — all while producing the best season of his career in either of the two categories.

As a receiver, Beck played 372 snaps and finished with 28 receptions on 42 targets. All in all, he gained 281 yards through the air and also caught two touchdown passes. The fifth-year senior also had 7 drops, for one of the worst drop rates among tight ends entering the 2019 NFL draft. Catching the football has never been Beck’s forte, however, considering his comparative lack of athleticism and average skills as a route runner.

Blocking is another story, though. While Beck may not be the best blocker in space and has shown some inconsistencies in this area, he can effectively create lanes in the ground game as a de facto sixth offensive linemen — all while also having plenty of experience as a pass blocker and when lining up as an H-back. This usage led to him being named to the first All-Big 12 team as a coaches’ selection.

Despite being recognized among the conference’s best players in 2018 and serving as a team captain at Texas, Beck did not hear his name called on draft day: his role in combination with his strengths and production was not enough to make teams invest in him — at least until rookie free agency began.

2019 preview: Beck found a team quickly after the draft when the Patriots signed him to a three-year contract including $115,000 in guarantees. While this number — the highest since linebacker Harvey Langi received the same from the club in 2017 — does ultimately not guarantee a spot on New England’s roster, it is still noteworthy and shows that the Patriots were willing to invest considerable resources to get Beck on board.

For him to keep a spot on the world champions’ pay roll, Beck will have to show growth early in his career — especially when it comes to his contributions in the passing game. If he can improve his route running, refine his blocking technique, and find ways to earn special teams snaps, he will put himself in a solid position on a tight end depth chart in turnover: with Rob Gronkowski retired, all spots appear to be up for grabs.

While New England’s other tight ends are favored to earn them — Matt LaCosse and Benjamin Watson are close to being locks, for example, while Ryan Izzo and Stephen Anderson have more experienced in the system — Beck could still carve out a role: he is a realistic candidate to make the Patriots’ practice squad as an emergency depth option and developmental project as a blocking tight end/fullback hybrid.
    The Patriots were trying to stash him on their Practice Squad, but his versatility at both FB and blocking TE made him a target for the Broncos.

But, this is not really a guy who would compete with any of the other Broncos TEs. So, Butt really would have a shot of making this roster as the #1 or #2 TE . . . IF he could ever stay healthy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

lol surgery on a BUTT!!

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information