Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Luck to retire!?!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I'm here for that!

2. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

I'm continually amazed how many people convinced passers and pass rushers alone separate dynasties from doormats dismiss the ONLY thing literally separating pass rushers from passers.

From the moment Indy began its Suck for Luck campaign, everyone with half a brain pitied him the abuse to which that condemned him because Irsay is EXACTLY the kind of person I mean. It's absurd to suggest Lucks career of running for his life behind Indys line (for lack of a better word) shortened his career, or rather, to suggest that all that was HIS fault rather than his owner and GMs for perpetually leaving him, and by extension their whole franchise, in that position in the first and last place.

Offensive linemen necessarily matter no more but no less than defensive linemen. Obviously every QB, even the most highly mobile and precise ones with the best vision of impending defensive plays, needs someone to keep fast agile blitz machines off their necks (e.g. Manning and Luck were two of the all-time best in the aforementioned categories, yet look how the broken bodies of both fared without quality protection.) Yet run blockers to keep them in 3rd and manageable and make their play-action passes credible are no less important. The game's won or lost in the trenches, even if they don't get the spotlight and paydays.

"Same as it ever was, same as it ever was; Same. As. It. Ever. Was."
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

He's a likable guy. I don't sense any maliciousness to him. I admire somebody who is able to make such a big decision so early in their career.

5. The Following 6 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    He's a likable guy. I don't sense any maliciousness to him. I admire somebody who is able to make such a big decision so early in their career.
    If I had made the type of money he has I wouldn't be working for someone else.

7. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    If I had made the type of money he has I wouldn't be working for someone else.
    It's hard to be mad at seeing somebody leaving while they're still of (seemingly) good mind and body.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    All of this. The NFL is a cold hard business. Teams will be loyal insofar as a player is useful to them. It's a brutal sport and players have every right to look out for themselves and their own long term health interests. If they colts didn't want luck to retire young, they shouldn't have let him get killed for 7 years.
    I high-fived this for content, I'm quoting this for the use of "insofar".
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    It's hard to be mad at seeing somebody leaving while they're still of (seemingly) good mind and body.
    If I were a Colts fan I would be gutted but I would understand. Dude literally left it all on the field as far as I can see and they never really gave him the right pieces around him to be really successful, including a decent o-line apparently.

And to your "seemingly" of good mind and body comment, that makes 2 QBs the Broncos 2015 defense made never the same after they played him including Cam Newton. Didn't they lacerate his liver and make his ancestors wince in that game?

13. The Following 5 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Well, they did lacerate his liver, and Oliver probably winced, so I guess so.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    If I were a Colts fan I would be gutted but I would understand. Dude literally left it all on the field as far as I can see and they never really gave him the right pieces around him to be really successful, including a decent o-line apparently.

And to your "seemingly" of good mind and body comment, that makes 2 QBs the Broncos 2015 defense made never the same after they played him including Cam Newton. Didn't they lacerate his liver and make his ancestors wince in that game?
    If the Colts didn't know this was a strong likelihood before free agency and the draft, then I would fault Luck on the timing, but nothing else. However, some of what was posted here indicates it might not have been a total surprise to the Colts.

For me, the only issue would be the timing. Didn't someone do that to the Broncos three or four years ago, maybe longer, waited until after free agency, maybe even the draft, and then announced his retirement.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    If the Colts didn't know this was a strong likelihood before free agency and the draft, then I would fault Luck on the timing, but nothing else. However, some of what was posted here indicates it might not have been a total surprise to the Colts.

For me, the only issue would be the timing. Didn't someone do that to the Broncos three or four years ago, maybe longer, waited until after free agency, maybe even the draft, and then announced his retirement.
    It's important to note that he sustained this new leg injury since the draft/FA. I feel like he probably didn't plan on retiring a few months ago and this newest injury was the straw that broke the camel's back.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    It's important to note that he sustained this new leg injury since the draft/FA. I feel like he probably didn't plan on retiring a few months ago and this newest injury was the straw that broke the camel's back.
    Didn't realize that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Didn't realize that.
    Yeah, by all accounts he seems like a pretty loyal, stand up guy. I don't think he would have left the colts hanging like this if he knew he was going to retire 3 months ago.

21. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

All he had to do was announce he is not going to be able to play in 2019 because of injuries and THEN announce his retirement. What is so hard about that to understand. This was the wrong time to do it this way.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    All he had to do was announce he is not going to be able to play in 2019 because of injuries and THEN announce his retirement. What is so hard about that to understand. This was the wrong time to do it this way.
    What difference would that have made at all?

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Andrew Luck retires: Let's take a look at the Colts quarterback's injury history in wake of shocking decision

March 2019: Calf strain

Back in March of this year, Luck underwent an MRI that revealed a calf strain in the quarterback's right leg. There was quite a bit of mystery surrounding Luck's diagnosis, but he sat out parts of the Colts' OTAs in May and June, then carried the leg issue into training camp.

As he continued to sit out, Luck was candid about being cautious with his health -- especially after some of his previous struggles.

"I could not live with myself if we get to a point in the season and say, 'Hey, I could've done this to take care of this issue, but I didn't because of X, Y, Z, whatever that is,'" Luck said, via Business Insider. "I'm not going to allow that to happen. It's something, again — 2016. I still have some emotional scars from that and that lives with me still, but I'm trying to use it in a positive way certainly for myself."
    full article - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...king-decision/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information