Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: M. Shanahan 'was close' to returning to Broncos

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by The Glue Factory View Post
    Then again, how many franchises remain playoff contenders after losing a HOF QB? Nevermind that Shanahan also saw numerous HOF players leave the team but STILL kept getting to the playoffs. I'd argue that just getting to the playoffs post Elway showed how good a coach Shanahan was. How well did San Fran do after Montana, Dallas and Aikman, or Green Bay and Favre?
    Alex Gibbs played a role in that.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Alex Gibbs played a role in that.
    For sure, and lets be clear to.....Shanny actually was a very good coach, his allegiance to bad Coordinators and crappy position coaches his last 4-5 years was a huge problem though. On top of that he was a absolute horrendous GM, I mean like if it wasn't for his coaching Pedigree He would be clowned on way more media wide then he is...like Matt Millen bad.....
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 08-20-2019 at 07:48 AM.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    For sure, and lets be clear to.....Shanny actually was a very good coach, his allegiance to bad Coordinators and crappy position coaches his last 4-5 years was a huge problem though. On top of that he was a absolute horrendous GM, I mean like if it wasn't for his coaching Pedigree He would be clowned on way more media wide then he is...like Matt Millen bad.....
    He was a great coach, and a "Ter-bysmal" GM. Trading up 4 spots in the first round to grab the bean-pole DE Jarvis Moss? Signing old and broken down Sam Adams on his last trip to the glue factory? Tim Crowder?

He was one of the worst GMs in football.

When he got to DC he was screwed by having a raving lunatic as an owner who insisted on RGIII as the starter, while Shanny wanted Kirk Cousins.

That battle so embittered Dan Snyder they fired Shanny to make sure RGIII had "his chance." WHen that didn't work they ran Cousins out of town.

I don't hold his Redskins record against Shanny, he was just in a bad situation.

6. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    san fran and green bay both went on to win super bowls with their next QB. . .
    Well, I suppose there is that.

8. The Following User High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I think were being a little hard on Shanny.

I think McD or VJ have shown things could have been worse.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I like coaches that have super bowl rings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Ok I’ll bite.

You pay a guy new to you a shit load guaranteed without the benefit of at least getting his rookie deal also.

Kiss our top 5-8 defense goodbye.
    You may have been out of the country or in outer space or something, but it was reported part of this whole deal was Cousins would have came here on a team friendly deal to play for Shanny.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
    You may have been out of the country or in outer space or something, but it was reported part of this whole deal was Cousins would have came here on a team friendly deal to play for Shanny.
    To go 8-7-1? For less than $84 million guaranteed? I’m good bro.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post

I'm not.....I said he was a great coach, a horrible GM and his stupid allegiance to his boys that were horrible coaches cost him his job here.....that's pretty much backed by facts....

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

17. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Like Ebola is worse than being bored on a rainy Sunday afternoon? Yes.

VJ is definitely the worst decision of the Elway era. In retrospect, he simply did not have a clue how to be a head coach. It's hard to understand why Elway thought he could do the job and was a "fine leader of men" and all that rot.

Yes, the decision to draft the Pirate was pretty bad and wasted maybe 5 years of screwing around without a franchise QB. Still 2nd place to VJ hire.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post

I'm not.....I said he was a great coach, a horrible GM and his stupid allegiance to his boys that were horrible coaches cost him his job here.....that's pretty much backed by facts....
    The facts are the team completely fell apart thanks to McD. Same with Shanny Jr (Kubes) when people were happy he was out too.

I did want Shanahan to resign but I didn't want McDaniels to succeed him.

Wrong hires. Very poor decisions both times. VJ must be GREAT at interviews, to nail the job without the resume. At least McD had the credentials behind him.

Grass isnt always greener, but they should have went in the same direction with someone familiar with the organization.
    Last edited by Shazam!; 08-21-2019 at 06:12 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

The facts are the team completely fell apart thanks to McD. Same with Shanny Jr (Kubes) when people were happy he was out too.

I did want Shanahan to resign but I didn't want McDaniels to succeed him.
    Shannhan would not have been fired had he let Slowik and a couple others go. Ellis alluded to changes being needed 1 of which was mainly Slowik, Shanny refused, and Ellis recommended Denver move on from the staff completely by relieving Shanny. Bowlen agreed because Shanny was being dumb and pigheaded and living off past accolades despite running the depth of the team and quality players into the ground with bad drafts and then not being successful as a team because of poor surrounding staff. You can actually blame Shanny for MCD, Had he let slowik go the course of the franchise would have been completely changed with no MCD and maybe no VJ.....That could also mean however no Tebow and playoff win over Pitt, no Peyton and a SB in 2015, and even no von miller.......Hell cutler could still be in denver for all we know....

Hindsight is 20/20 now, The fact remains Shanny is and was exactly what I alluded to previously.....

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

21. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    He was a great coach, and a "Ter-bysmal" GM. Trading up 4 spots in the first round to grab the bean-pole DE Jarvis Moss? Signing old and broken down Sam Adams on his last trip to the glue factory? Tim Crowder?

He was one of the worst GMs in football.

When he got to DC he was screwed by having a raving lunatic as an owner who insisted on RGIII as the starter, while Shanny wanted Kirk Cousins.

That battle so embittered Dan Snyder they fired Shanny to make sure RGIII had "his chance." WHen that didn't work they ran Cousins out of town.

I don't hold his Redskins record against Shanny, he was just in a bad situation.

I don't hold shanny's reign against him there either. Snyder is a doosh, what's really jacked up is they were good friends and it ended over Qb's...lol

Also Cousins is a middle tier starter, not elite but was clearly the better option over RG3, I was stationed in DC at the time of all this though and many people felt Snyder was trying to cater to the community using RG3 because of the minority makeup there, but most of my friends that were minorities hated RG3 and liked cousins more as well because they were fans and wanted the better Qb on the field lol. Snyder was just a clueless dumb owner....

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Cousins is no world beater but he is far better than anything weve seen the past few years thats for sure. He a 2nd tier QB.

Shanny was the best thing to happen there in Wash. Gruden will be out after this Season too.
    Last edited by Shazam!; 08-21-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information