Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: M. Shanahan 'was close' to returning to Broncos

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I remember the talk about it but also recall Mike wanted a lot of power again and i dont think John wanted to go that route again with Shanny.

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    He wasn’t as bad as GM as many make him out to be, he made mistakes but so does Belicheat.
    Every GM makes mistakes. Belichick is a master of maximizing draft capital. He trades down in the draft more than any GM in the league, and increases his odds of finding quality players by making more picks and increasing his odds. This wasn't his idea originally, it was Jimmy Johnson's. It's how he built a dynasty through the draft in Dallas. Belichick is also willing to let good players go rather than overpay them.

Elway made a Belichick move in the draft this year by trading down in the first. Instead of picking up Devin Bush and having to choose between Lock and Risner, he got Lock, Risner and Fant. Basically 3 shots at finding a core player instead of 2. Would it have been better to go with Bush and one of the other two? We won't know for at least a few years. After watching Elway's last 2 drafts I'm encouraged that he's starting to 'get it'.

Shanny was a horrible GM. Bad draft picks, bad trades, and bad free agent signings ran the Denver Broncos into the ground. Add in the fact that some hall of famers retired around the same time, and Shanny was done. Bowlen gave him a long leash and he finally hung himself with his personnel decisions.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    He wasn’t as bad as GM as many make him out to be, he made mistakes but so does Belicheat.
    Every GM makes mistakes. Belichick is a master of maximizing draft capital. He trades down in the draft more than any GM in the league, and increases his odds of finding quality players by making more picks and increasing his odds. This wasn't his idea originally, it was Jimmy Johnson's. It's how he built a dynasty through the draft in Dallas. Belichick is also willing to let good players go rather than overpay them.

Elway made a Belichick move in the draft this year by trading down in the first. Instead of picking up Devin Bush and having to choose between Lock and Risner, he got Lock, Risner and Fant. Basically 3 shots at finding a core player instead of 2. Would it have been better to go with Bush and one of the other two? We won't know for at least a few years. After watching Elway's last 2 drafts I'm encouraged that he's starting to 'get it'.

Shanny was a horrible GM. Bad draft picks, bad trades, and bad free agent signings ran the Denver Broncos into the ground. Add in the fact that some hall of famers retired around the same time, and Shanny was done. Bowlen gave him a long leash and he finally hung himself with his personnel decisions.
    I think it had more to do with the state of the Defense and the team was unresponsive in that 3 game stretch in 08. Had they won the Division, Broncos woulda been a whole different state.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Shanahan was fired because he wouldn't budge on Bob Slowik.

Let's not overlook that god awful factoid.

He's one of the best head coaches ever. He is also BB's daddy. An offensive guru. And everything comes to an end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Rock out with your CoK6 out.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Shanny was a great coach, but a horrible GM.
    he was beyond atrocious. . . a complete, utter disaster. . . he was god-awful at building a defense, too. . . we dodged a bullet. . . i have no idea whether fangio will succeed or fail, but i'll roll with him over mike every day and twice on sunday. . . people can pine for the old days all they want, but the truth is mike just doesn't have it anymore. . . all good things come to an end, and shanny never accomplished anything of significance once elway retired. . . i woulda cried tears of bitter despair if they brought him back. . . bob effing slowick. . . 'nuff said!
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

11. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    he was beyond atrocious. . . a complete, utter disaster. . . he was god-awful at building a defense, too. . . we dodged a bullet. . . i have no idea whether fangio will succeed or fail, but i'll roll with him over mike every day and twice on sunday. . . people can pine for the old days all they want, but the truth is mike just doesn't have it anymore. . . all good things come to an end, and shanny never accomplished anything of significance once elway retired. . . i woulda cried tears of bitter despair if they brought him back. . . bob effing slowick. . . 'nuff said!
    Then again, how many franchises remain playoff contenders after losing a HOF QB? Nevermind that Shanahan also saw numerous HOF players leave the team but STILL kept getting to the playoffs. I'd argue that just getting to the playoffs post Elway showed how good a coach Shanahan was. How well did San Fran do after Montana, Dallas and Aikman, or Green Bay and Favre?

13. The Following User High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Joe Ellis is an incompetent bag, runs in the family.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

15. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Joe Ellis is an incompetent bag, runs in the family.
    Why?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Why?
    Not sure why, I'm not an expert on incompetent bags.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by The Glue Factory View Post
    How well did San Fran do after Montana, Dallas and Aikman, or Green Bay and Favre?
    san fran and green bay both went on to win super bowls with their next QB. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

The dude wouldn't fire the most incompetent DC we had in the last 15 years in slowik because they were boys, he deserved his firing and he deserves his time back with Denver in the capacity he is now. Making him the GM or coach would just be a waste of time.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

21. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

it would have been nice to have him back with his deep bronze tan in the middle of december

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    The dude wouldn't fire the most incompetent DC we had in the last 15 years in slowik because they were boys, he deserved his firing and he deserves his time back with Denver in the capacity he is now. Making him the GM or coach would just be a waste of time.
    If i had to choose between Shanny and VJ tho its Shanny and its not even close.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    If i had to choose between Shanny and VJ tho its Shanny and its not even close.
    Hindsight is 20/20, but I would have fired VJ because he was incompetent after his first year with coaching decisions and showed then he was out of his element, and I wouldn't even consider Shanny because of his stupid allegiance to his boys for coaching staff even though they had mediocre resumes at times and guys like Slowik were the worst we have seen in many years instead of picking the best coaches.....

In the end it worked out best as I think Fangio is the guy to get us back to the playoffs, but Elway needs to hit another draft or 2 before he retires again to give us another legit shot at a SB I think.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

26. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information