Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: All blindside blocks prohibited starting in the 2019 season

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I think in the NFL that’s a foul for a blow to the head and neck area of a defenseless player. In college I don’t think I would have targeting because for targeting you’re looking for certain “indicators” and I didn’t see one there.
    Wouldn't that foul fall under defenseless receiver? There is no defenseless receiver foul in college (I should know this)?

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Wouldn't that foul fall under defenseless receiver? There is no defenseless receiver foul in college (I should know this)?
    Yes, but for it to be targeting in college (where the defenseless player comes in) they’re looking for indicators such as a crouch or a launch. The other option would be leading with the crown of the helmet, which is also targeting but does require the victim to be defenseless. Anyway, so, yes, the receiver was defenseless, but in my opinion, the defender was not guilty of targeting by NCAA standards.

One of the big myths now is that you can’t hit a defenseless player. You most certainly can (with some exceptions) you just can’t target them.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

3. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Yes, but for it to be targeting in college (where the defenseless player comes in) they’re looking for indicators such as a crouch or a launch. The other option would be leading with the crown of the helmet, which is also targeting but does require the victim to be defenseless. Anyway, so, yes, the receiver was defenseless, but in my opinion, the defender was not guilty of targeting by NCAA standards.

One of the big myths now is that you can’t hit a defenseless player. You most certainly can (with some exceptions) you just can’t target them.
    It is confusing. Refs have a tough job knowing/remembering all the rules, and enforcing them. Though, you guys are enemy #1.

5. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    It is confusing. Refs have a tough job knowing/remembering all the rules, and enforcing them. Though, you guys are enemy #1.
    Thanks bud. It can be rough.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

7. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I'm glad we can all agree that the NFL is all about player safety.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

Saw this called in the Ravens game. TE sprung Lewis on a great block, Lewis scored, exciting play. Flag. If that is called during the regular season, going to make for some exciting football...

True, but if it doesn’t mamas aren’t going to let their kids play anymore. It’s already happening.
    That is actually the biggest long term threat to the NFL. Football simply causes brain trauma and it might not be possible to make it really safe for kids. The more medical science uncovers regarding brain trauma the more parents are unlikely to permit their sons to play. Reducing the number of high school football players shrinks the pool of NFL players.

The NFL being composed of unbelievably stupid and greedy billionaires spent decades lying and suppressing all the evidence. Then it inevitably blew up in their faces with massive negative press and lawsuits.

They should be investing billions in trying to develop a helmet that will protect much better against brain trauma but they're now in a race against time they might actually lose. It's probably not possible to design a helmet that would be 100% protective.

But, it IS possible to dramatically improve things. In the 1920s cars were designed to be highly damage resistant. It's just the passengers who got injured in crashes.
    Decades of research redesigned cars with things like safety glass that pebbles into harmless chunks instead of thousands of jagged shards of glass. They can certainly improve helmet design a lot over what it is now. It's a question of time and money and engineering.

Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    True, but if it doesn’t mamas aren’t going to let their kids play anymore. It’s already happening.
    That is actually the biggest long term threat to the NFL. Football simply causes brain trauma and it might not be possible to make it really safe for kids. The more medical science uncovers regarding brain trauma the more parents are unlikely to permit their sons to play. Reducing the number of high school football players shrinks the pool of NFL players.

The NFL being composed of unbelievably stupid and greedy billionaires spent decades lying and suppressing all the evidence. Then it inevitably blew up in their faces with massive negative press and lawsuits.

They should be investing billions in trying to develop a helmet that will protect much better against brain trauma but they're now in a race against time they might actually lose. It's probably not possible to design a helmet that would be 100% protective.

But, it IS possible to dramatically improve things. In the 1920s cars were designed to be highly damage resistant. It's just the passengers who got injured in crashes.
    Decades of research redesigned cars with things like safety glass that pebbles into harmless chunks instead of thousands of jagged shards of glass. They can certainly improve helmet design a lot over what it is now. It's a question of time and money and engineering.
    I wonder how many of these alleged CTE victims took massive amounts of steroids and was jacked up to 1000. Like Seau.

Did Chris Benoit suffer from CTE?

For every case of this, theres someone else who is fine and took *vicious* beatings.

Joe Namath has his marbles.
    Elway is the most sacked QB of all time.
    Bradshaw still coherent.
    Montana
    Sharpe
    Young
    Montana
    Emmitt Smith
    Barry Sanders
    Deion

There's a list of thousands of former players who still have their brains.

Theres more to this than meets the eye IMO, but I don't want to see anyone get hurt. Its a byproduct of the profession.

Like boxing and UFC.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

13. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information