Thread: Silver: NBA needs 'enforceable' free-agency rules

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Silver: NBA needs 'enforceable' free-agency rules

LAS VEGAS -- Commissioner Adam Silver said multiple times during his annual news conference in Las Vegas during summer league that the NBA has "work to do" when it comes to free agency and the rules governing it.

Silver's comments came after a free-agency period in which several star players changed teams through deals that were apparently agreed upon before the official start of free agency at 6 p.m. ET on June 30.

"My sense in the room today was, especially when it comes to free agency and the rules around it, that we've got work to do," Silver said Tuesday evening at the conclusion of the league's annual board of governors meetings. "And as I said, it's still the same principles of fair balance of power and a sense that it's a level playing field. I think that's what teams want to know. I think they're put in difficult situations because when they're sitting across from a player and whether it's conversations that are happening earlier than they should or frankly things are being discussed that don't fall squarely within the collective bargaining agreement, it puts teams in a very difficult position because they are reading or hearing that other teams are doing other things to compete, and at the end of the day, that's what this league is about: competing for championships.

"My job is to enforce a fair set of rules for all our teams and a set of rules that are clear and make sense for everyone. I think right now we're not quite there."
    rest - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...e-agency-rules

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Tampering is one thing he said he didn't like, but honestly that's just impossible to enforce. They should just drop all pretense that they can enforce that and get rid of the rule.

As for limiting player movement and players demanding trades in the middle of their contacts, that's pretty tough too. The best suggestion I've seen is to give every team one roster slot where they can pay a player literally as much as they want and it doesn't count against the cap/luxury tax. That would, in theory, make the salary of that designated player so high, it would cost players way too much money to team up with a guy instead of being the top guy somewhere else.

Now the downside to this is that it penalizes teams who draft multiple stars, so they can only pay one when it comes time, so that is the trade-off to getting rid of super teams.

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

The league is fine the way it is. It's nice to have one league where players have more control in their destiny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

If anything make the rules less strict. It's easily the most exciting free agency of any sport.

7. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

should just ban all teams from LA. or remove 12 teams.

Small market teams might as well not exist in the NBA so i dont know why they even are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    should just ban all teams from LA. or remove 12 teams.

Small market teams might as well not exist in the NBA so i dont know why they even are still around.
    Remember when you thought Boogie to the Warriors meant the league was over? Or when you didn't ever count that the Warriors almost lost to the Rockets (two seasons ago) in a seven games series?

You got parity. A weak EC team in Brooklyn just got Kyrie and KD. The Warriors will get Klay back, they have steph, they got Russ, and aren't a juggernaut, but are a good team on paper. Houston is still stacked. The Jazz are being talked about as a contender. Mil-Friggen-Walkuee are contenders. The Raptors just won a championship, and while they are a huge city, they're in ******* Canada.

Big markets...like the Mavs...they're dominating, right? Wait...the Bulls are on fire, right? I mean the Knicks are killing it, no? The Nets are racking up titles, right? The Warriors play in a pretty solid sized market, they've always been a huge success, right?

Smaller market teams like the Cavs haven't won anything, recently, right?

Stahp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Remember when you thought Boogie to the Warriors meant the league was over? Or when you didn't ever count that the Warriors almost lost to the Rockets (two seasons ago) in a seven games series?

You got parity. A weak EC team in Brooklyn just got Kyrie and KD. The Warriors will get Klay back, they have steph, they got Russ, and aren't a juggernaut, but are a good team on paper. Houston is still stacked. The Jazz are being talked about as a contender. Mil-Friggen-Walkuee are contenders. The Raptors just won a championship, and while they are a huge city, they're in ******* Canada.

Big markets...like the Mavs...they're dominating, right? Wait...the Bulls are on fire, right? I mean the Knicks are killing it, no? The Nets are racking up titles, right? The Warriors play in a pretty solid sized market, they've always been a huge success, right?

Smaller market teams like the Cavs haven't won anything, recently, right?

Stahp!
    The hardest part about creating parity in the NBA is that their rosters & starting lineups are so small that its not hard for top FA to agree to go to the same team in order to "stack the deck." This was 1st done by Labron James when he got 2 of his best NBA superstar friends to go to the Heat for the sole purpose of winning a championship there. I believe a group of 3 top FAs did the same thing a year or 2 later when they all agree to go to the Celtics. 3 players constitutes 60% of a NBA team's starting lineup. For this to be duplicated in the NFL, something along the lines of 15 of some year's top 30 FAs would all have to agree to go to the same team for as far below their market value as the team needs in order to remain cap compliant. I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Last edited by FanInAZ; 07-10-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

12. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    The hardest part about creating parity in the NBA is that their rosters & starting lineups are so small that its not hard for top FA to agree to go to the same team in order to "stack the deck." This was 1st done by Labron James when he got 2 of his best NBA superstar friends to go to the Heat for the sole purpose of winning a championship there. I believe a group of 3 top FAs did the same thing a year or 2 later when they all agree to go to the Celtics. 3 players constitutes 60% of a NBA team's starting lineup. For this to be duplicated in the NFL, something along the lines of 15 of some year's top 30 FAs would all have to agree to go to the same team for as far below their market value as the team needs in order to remain cap compliant. I wouldn't hold my breath.
    This is why I think giving every team one roster spot separate from the cap could really work in the NBA. If there were no cap for you star player, a guy like LeBron could make 100 million a year. Then if you're Anthony Davis, do you want to team up with LeBron but have to be paid within the cap, or stay in New Orleans and make tens of millions more?

Maybe they need to borrow the franchise tag from the NFL so they can't just lose a player without having an opportunity at-least to get value back.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Maybe they need to borrow the franchise tag from the NFL so they can't just lose a player without having an opportunity at-least to get value back.
    That makes the best sense.

17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    This is why I think giving every team one roster spot separate from the cap could really work in the NBA. If there were no cap for you star player, a guy like LeBron could make 100 million a year. Then if you're Anthony Davis, do you want to team up with LeBron but have to be paid within the cap, or stay in New Orleans and make tens of millions more?
    I'm not sure that would work. The unintended consequence might be that small-market teams could stay under the cap, yet be unable to afford the total payroll. Cash-flow might become more of a problem. Although, it would certainly alleviate the penalty tax which really cripples small market teams if they are able to build a great roster and try to keep them.

Lost in a lot of the criticism of the Thunder trading James Harden was that they had actually put together a long-term plan to sock money away to be able to pay luxury tax when Durant/Westbrook got to their max-contract level. They didn't expect Harden and the rest of the roster to get so good so quickly, and just didn't have the cash yet to go into the luxury tax. Couple that with some other factors (it's never one thing) and they pulled the trigger on the Harden trade.

A few years later, they had socked away enough to pay the luxury/repeater tax and even cost themselves tens of millions in extra with the 'Melo experiment when added to George/Westbrook etc.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, just wondering what the unintended consequences might be.
    Last edited by NightTrainLayne; 07-11-2019 at 01:41 PM.

19. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The cash flow point is a good one, but I think if I'm a smaller market team I'd rather be able get a star to sign with me and I'll figure out the cash flow part rather than never get stars in their prime and just continually suck. I'm a grizzlies fan, and it sucks knowing that there's a pretty decent chance Ja Morant could bolt if he's as good as everyone says he will be. If I'm a team like that, I want to keep that kind of player in any way possible.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information