Thread: Any PC gurus?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Any PC gurus?

I'm troubleshooting my PC hardware and getting nowhere.

Saturday some rain blew in hard from the window and got in my PC through the top fan. Oops.

I checked the pin voltages of the power supply. It's ok.

The motherboard (Gigabyte Aorus B450) flashes white when the PS is turned on, and the mobo's red CPU diagnostic LED blinks once when I hit the power button.

The CPU fan doesn't budge.

So I swapped CPU and mobo, still same outcome.

Not sure if graphics card or ram could be problem.

Not sure if I didn't fry the new mobo and cpu if there is a short in the old ram or graphics card.

Kinda frustrated and plan on just replacing everything except the old SSD, this crap takes up too much time I could be using to print money.

This is my hail mary.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

You never stated what the actual problem is... Actual booting to windows or something else?

Ninja was always my go-to guy, but he isn't around much anymore. I might have his phone number though.

3. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    You never stated what the actual problem is... Actual booting to windows or something else?

Ninja was always my go-to guy, but he isn't around much anymore. I might have his phone number though.
    The motherboard lights when the power supply switch is turned on, which indicates it's seeing the power it needs from the power supply unit, but when the power button on the desktop is pressed, the CPU fan doesn't budge, that means there is power where it needs to be but the cpu won't run (to boot up, load BIOS, etc.)

Normally after you hit the power button to turn on the PC, the CPU fan will spin up to cool the CPU, and this indicates a certain level of function of the cpu and motherboard.

Ninja might have some insight, could you msg me his phone? Please?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I thought I had it, but I guess I don't.

He doesn't post a lot, but I did look up his activity, and his last login was just a couple days ago. Maybe PM him? He's helped me out a couple times in the past with questions/problems.

6. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Your inline fetzer is in the vertical position. Switch to horizontal and you will be fine.

8. The Following User High Fived WTE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    Your inline fetzer is in the vertical position. Switch to horizontal and you will be fine.
    Like what happened to Bob Kraft when he switched to the horizontal position? No thanks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Man you are ******.

11. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Might need a new fan it sounds like.

13. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Unplug all the cards. Try to power up with ONLY the MB and CPU (WITH FAN)

Report back.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Did you try turning it off and on again?

16. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Unplug all the cards. Try to power up with ONLY the MB and CPU (WITH FAN)

Report back.
    UPDATE!

I now own a very nice laptop and a strange assortment of computer components that are currently in the basement crawl-space in various configurations of dismemberment, some in small containers of perchloric acid, some sprinkled with catnip, some have met Mr. Dremel, and all the others in a clear box so they can observe the goings-on.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    UPDATE!

I now own a very nice laptop and a strange assortment of computer components that are currently in the basement crawl-space in various configurations of dismemberment, some in small containers of perchloric acid, some sprinkled with catnip, some have met Mr. Dremel, and all the others in a clear box so they can observe the goings-on.
    It was probably your power supply even though it was checking well on pin outs. Things change under load.

Ask Thom Brady, Beef, or most Raider fans!

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

It was probably your power supply even though it was checking well on pin outs. Things change under load.

Ask Thom Brady, Beef, or most Raider fans!
    Dude, it was weird. First thing I did was replace the power supply, didn't help. I tried every configuration I could think of, bought replacement parts (incl mobo and cpu)...still nada. I think it was the GPU, I think it melted and created a short whenever it was installed.

I built an entirely new PC, but then it shat the bed in the middle of installing drivers. I said enough of this shit, let's just get that laptop I knew was the answer from the beginning. It's spendy, but I like it so far...

22. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Dude, it was weird. First thing I did was replace the power supply, didn't help. I tried every configuration I could think of, bought replacement parts (incl mobo and cpu)...still nada. I think it was the GPU, I think it melted and created a short whenever it was installed.

I built an entirely new PC, but then it shat the bed in the middle of installing drivers. I said enough of this shit, let's just get that laptop I knew was the answer from the beginning. It's spendy, but I like it so far...

Definitely possible, that's why I was going to have you eliminate things and see where the problem kicked in.

That is a pricey laptop, but good quality isn't cheap and it should last you a good number of years

24. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Definitely possible, that's why I was going to have you eliminate things and see where the problem kicked in.

That is a pricey laptop, but good quality isn't cheap and it should last you a good number of years
    My concern, with some non-dispositive evidence, was that the offending component would ruin other components when it was installed.

If Micro Center wasn't a 30 minute trip each way, I'd gut it out. That drive is part of the problem--that and I needed it running for work.

I'm a little bummed bc they had a sick graphics card for 220, a radeon vega, but alas.

26. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information