Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Peyton Manning Turned Down Monday Night Football

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Why Peyton Manning Turned Down Monday Night Football

(247Sports) – Peyton Manning has no interest in breaking down Eli Manning’s mechanics or impact on the game from behind the microphone. It sounds elementary, but Manning’s refusal to speak on his brother’s skill set is one of the reasons he declined an opportunity on ESPN’s Monday Night Football broadcast crew this season, according to NFL insider and Yahoo! Sports analyst Charles Robinson.

Robinson wrote Tuesday that Manning, who will instead host an ESPN series documenting the NFL’s 100th anniversary season, wasn’t interested in a potential conflict of interest upon discovery that two of his broadcast games would include Eli’s New York Giants and other games that involved Manning’s former teammates or friends.

“If he ever decides (Monday Night Football) is something he wants to do, it’s going to be after Eli has finished his career and he gets a little bit further from his era of playing and maybe some of his teammates have moved on, too,” one source said, according to Davis. “It would have been a tough position for him this season, with the Giants (and Broncos) being on the schedule.
    rest - https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/07/...ight-football/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

"one of the reasons"? I'd say it's an additional reason, but by no means the biggest.

Peyton is bigger than the job of Monday Night Football. He wants to be a (part) owner. He wants control over a team like John Elway has. He'll probably get one or both of these things. Those are bigger gigs than Monday Night.

His 100th Anniversary Season series is HIS production. He gets to do it his way, and not have to answer to producers and network executives telling him what to do. Why should he not run his own show on a much bigger stage?

I think if he wanted a media gig announcing Sunday or Monday Night games as a commentator, he'd have got a job by now. How long can a guy hang around the house with the wife and kids and go to soccer games before she demands that he get another job just to get him out of the house?

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    "one of the reasons"? I'd say it's an additional reason, but by no means the biggest.

Peyton is bigger than the job of Monday Night Football. He wants to be a (part) owner. He wants control over a team like John Elway has. He'll probably get one or both of these things. Those are bigger gigs than Monday Night.

His 100th Anniversary Season series is HIS production. He gets to do it his way, and not have to answer to producers and network executives telling him what to do. Why should he not run his own show on a much bigger stage?

I think if he wanted a media gig announcing Sunday or Monday Night games as a commentator, he'd have got a job by now. How long can a guy hang around the house with the wife and kids and go to soccer games before she demands that he get another job just to get him out of the house?
    I disagree with all of this.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    I disagree with all of this.
    It's pure speculation. He has no idea what Manning thinks.

7. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    It's pure speculation. He has no idea what Manning thinks.
    Manning is footballs ambassador. He’s perfect for it. No one really hates him and I don’t think he’d want to hire and fire dudes.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

What do you base this on? It certainly isn't anything Manning has said.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Manning is footballs ambassador. He’s perfect for it. No one really hates him and I don’t think he’d want to hire and fire dudes.
    I may be wrong but I think he saw how Elway was able to sustain some competitive juices by running the Broncos' FO and he wouldn't mind having a crack at it.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    I may be wrong but I think he saw how Elway was able to sustain some competitive juices by running the Broncos' FO and he wouldn't mind having a crack at it.
    Possibly. But I also thinks he likes to show up at various games and be America’s Guest. It’s so cool seeing him.

13. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Peyton is like Elway when he retired. It's more than just another ex-player. Elway got that Elway car dealership thing going and sold it for hundreds of millions. He parlayed that into team ownership in the arena league. He turned that experience into running the Broncos as Team Pres.

That has long been thought to be a probable future for Peyton. It's better than commenting on games to actually have your hand in running things.

Being in charge matters to Peyton. He ran the Broncos his way. John Fox coached the team, but Peyton ran the team. Why would his retirement be any different?

15. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Oh wow. Elway owned a car dealership. Thanks Cuges

17. The Following 6 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

He always brings new and undiscovered information.

19. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

21. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    He always brings new and undiscovered information.
    What do you contribute to the conversation by being deliberately stupid?

You know perfectly well my point is true. Elway took a business opportunity to create great wealth, enough to make him an owner in the Arena League.

That wasn't a step in itself but part of his plan to get back into football at the owner level. Essentially he's acting as the Broncos Owner right now, running the Football Operations.

But, to really run a team permanently, he'd have to be at least part owner. So, that's commonly expected to be his next step somewhere, perhaps in Denver.

Now what part of that mass of obviousness do you object to? Are you really that far out of the loop that you think "you don't know what Peyton wants"?

What the frig else would Peyton want? He has a couple of hundred Million $. He doesn't have to work.

Peyton has long been thought by all his former teammates and radio commenters to want to do the same thing. To become a team owner. And run things. His way.

And perhaps as part of that he becomes an NFL team president somewhere and runs an organization, like Elway.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I wish i had the Elway 7 dealership badge Id stick it on my car
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

What do you contribute to the conversation by being deliberately stupid?

You know perfectly well my point is true. Elway took a business opportunity to create great wealth, enough to make him an owner in the Arena League.

That wasn't a step in itself but part of his plan to get back into football at the owner level. Essentially he's acting as the Broncos Owner right now, running the Football Operations.

But, to really run a team permanently, he'd have to be at least part owner. So, that's commonly expected to be his next step somewhere, perhaps in Denver.

Now what part of that mass of obviousness do you object to? Are you really that far out of the loop that you think "you don't know what Peyton wants"?

What the frig else would Peyton want? He has a couple of hundred Million $. He doesn't have to work.

Peyton has long been thought by all his former teammates and radio commenters to want to do the same thing. To become a team owner. And run things. His way.

And perhaps as part of that he becomes an NFL team president somewhere and runs an organization, like Elway.
    You bring absolutely nothing to the table, other than an empty plate. You then fill it up with useless information that every Broncos' fan already knows, and pass it off as new information or commentary. I don't think you have had an original thought - ever.

Talk about being deliberately stupid...

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information