Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Flacco not herr to mentor Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Not really. He sounds like someone who is focused on learning a new team and a new offense so that he can do what he was brought in to do. Denver drafting Lock doesn't change Flacco's responsibilities from what they were three weeks ago.
    He comes off as bitter and whiny. He whined when Lamar Jackson was drafted. During the draft I think it was Trey Wingo noted that Flacco made it known how he felt about his teams drafting a young QB highly.

His job, as is everyone's job, is to help the team any way that he can. Full stop.

2. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    He comes off as bitter and whiny. He whined when Lamar Jackson was drafted. During the draft I think it was Trey Wingo noted that Flacco made it known how he felt about his teams drafting a young QB highly.

His job, as is everyone's job, is to help the team any way that he can. Full stop.
    Chris Harris says hello.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Chris Harris says hello.
    Hi, Chris. Hope you, the consummate professional, get your contract that you've earned.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Hi, Chris. Hope you, the consummate professional, get your contract that you've earned.
    The consummate professional, in your own words, would be a de-facto team player and not hold out in hopes of a new contract while not yet fulfilling the obligations of the current contract.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

8. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

The consummate professional, in your own words, would be a de-facto team player and not hold out in hopes of a new contract while not yet fulfilling the obligations of the current contract.
    No sir. Because the two situations are not the same. In one situation the business side of things are all settled - Flacco is getting a contract commensurate with his abilities, he's new here, not a long time Bronco, not a part of a winning team, not seen as a leader, etc. etc. etc. The other situation is that CHJ is all of those things, playing on a deal not commensurate with his abilities, long time Bronco, part of winning teams, seen as a leader, took a friendly deal. It's a business for everyone - Flacco isn't in a situation where the business side of things are unsettled.

10. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

And what if focusing on his job as the starter is the best way to help the team right now?

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    And what if focusing on his job as the starter is the best way to help the team right now?
    This presupposes that mentoring or being a good teammate would detract from this, and that's quite the presupposition. Especially since teaching and mentoring if often a way people retain and use their information.

14. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Big ado about nothing.

16. The Following 5 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

This presupposes that mentoring or being a good teammate would detract from this, and that's quite the presupposition. Especially since teaching and mentoring if often a way people retain and use their information.
    I think this is a bit of a unique situation since this is also Flacco's first year with this team/the coaches/his teammates. He still has a lot of getting up to speed to do himself. I don't think it's a big leap to assume that talking extra time to help the new guy might distract from what his primary focus needs to be right now.

It would be different if he were a long time, established player here and everything were already a well oiled machine. Then maybe he'd have the flexibility to show the new guy the ropes. I'm not sure he has that luxury right now.

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    I sure if you saw the video from the press conference, but want to get people's take. I feel like it's a bad look for a guy who's trying to re-establish himself as a good veteran presence. If you talk to guys like Champ Bailey they talked about how somebody like Darrell Green and Deion Sanders took him under their wings and helped him become a better player. I know it's slightly different because there's only one quarterback on the field at a time. But it just rubs me the wrong way. You're a veteran you're supposed to help the younger guys figure stuff out and all you're concerned about is yourself. And that's essentially what people have been saying about Joe since he got here.
    Name one long time starter that actively groomed his replacement? Montana? Favre? Does Brady go out of his way to groom people?

His answer is the right answer. He's not here to teach the next guy, frankly, I'd say I'd rather he not teach him, let coach Skags do that. Flacco is learning a new system too. That's his job. To learn it and do it well.

People are blowing this out of proportion, but seriously... how many Superbowl winnners do you hear people praise for their great mentoring abilities?

20. The Following 6 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    It's a lame attempt to cause controversy. These are the basics of mentoring.
    When you have former nfl greats like Tomlinson criticizing him I would say it goes deeper.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I'm sure Elway just LOVED when they drafted Maddox to replace him, and he showed him all the cool tricks and "secrets of the pros" he spent a career learning. I imagine it went like this:

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I'm sure Elway just LOVED when they drafted Maddox to replace him, and he showed him all the cool tricks and "secrets of the pros" he spent a career learning. I imagine it went like this:

Yea, i remember John being so excited about the drafting of Maddox. He was certainly overjoyed.

/sarcasm

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I mean, im not shocked that certain people are angry about this. These are the same people who were basically pouting when we signed Flacco to begin with so there is that. Lol

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

If Flacco was here for years, maybe. But it's his first camp too.

Much ado about nothing.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

28. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information