Thread: The NBA is obsessed with 3s, so let's finally fix the thing

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default The NBA is obsessed with 3s, so let's finally fix the thing

Editor's note: The following excerpt from the new book "SprawlBall: A Visual Tour of the New Era of the NBA," by ESPN NBA analyst Kirk Goldsberry, has been updated and edited for length and clarity.

As the second round of the NBA playoffs kicks into high gear, the most star-studded series features two unprecedented MVPs in James Harden and Stephen Curry. Both players leveraged the power of the 3-point shot more than any superstars in league history.

Consider these factoids:

Prior to 2015-16, no NBA player had ever made 300 3-pointers in a single season. That season, Curry sank 402.

At age 29, Harden is already the all-time leader in unassisted 3-point makes.
    rest - interesting, but long - http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-let-fix-thing

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

I love the way the league is now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I love the way the league is now.
    He was on Zach Lowe’s podcast this week. He makes some compelling arguments.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    He was on Zach Lowe’s podcast this week. He makes some compelling arguments.
    I read his article - I thought his arguments were shit.

He talks about 'beauty' for instance. So he goes with the most subjective thing possible. That's a really shoddy start.

It's too dominant, the three point shooting? A game that was once dominated by a bunch of bigs and mid range shooters is somehow worse that teams have great shooters and shoot the three at volume?

Ugh.
    Last edited by Poet; 05-05-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

This postseason is really the first time i have dived back into the NBA and the things i notice is the players can really get away with murder inside the paint. The number of 3's dont bother me but i have witnessed it has played a part in how teams do in terms of winning and losing games. But, it hasnt really stopped teams from getting back in games either as most of the games i have seen this postseason have been pretty competitive. Now, i dont know how most of you NBA diehards have looked at the NBA compared to the Jordan era but for me despite having some entertainment value it still falls short of the previous era. I dont know if its any rule changes or just the lack of "likeable" players outside of a couple here and there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I read his article - I thought his arguments were shit.
    They aren’t, but I don’t feel like arguing about it.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    They aren’t, but I don’t feel like arguing about it.
    A healthy Cousins, Embiid, Joker, etc. all thrive in this league. Bigs aren't dead, they just have to be more skilled now. I don't know if that's an argument he makes, the death of the big man, but it's one I've heard a lot.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information