Thread: Is the NBA more like the NFL now? If so, how do you feel about it?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Is the NBA more like the NFL now? If so, how do you feel about it?

I was pondering this when i went to bed last night following the Blazers win over Thunder. Granted, i have not paid much close attention to the NBA in a very long time. Im just now kind of familiarizing myself with the current roster not only on the Blazers but in the NBA as a whole. It is kind of cool to see UVA alum like Brogdon in Milwaukee and Harris in Brooklyn. But it got me to thinking about Liillard and how great he has been for the Trailblazers but also has me wondering if he will remain a Blazer for his entire career.

Growing up i grew to love the NBA in the 80's with titans like the Lakers and Celtics and even appreciated the Pistons, Bulls, and Jazz. Of course when Portland got on the map in the early 90's is when i fell in love with the team and all things Drexler. And as much as i loved watching The Glide get a ring with Houston towards the end of his career a part of me wishes that he had been able to do it with Portland. We have seen over the years certain players go to other teams for either a payday or to join a team that had a solid chance at a championship.

But does that kind of thing bother you as a fan of a certain team or no? Like with some players (Drexler/Jordan, etc) they will always be a Blazer or Bull but what about guys like Lebron? While James has been with Cleveland a lot in his career do you still consider him a Cav or has been around the league to much to really have a home team? Personally im not sure what i would classify him as since he has spent a lot of time elsewhere especially when it happened earlier in his career rather than later.

When you think of guys like Jordon, Stockton, Malone, you automatically think of the teams they played on either the most or their entire career. But it seems like how big name players are not really staying in one place anymore and i know when Durant left it kind of stung Thunder fans. But does it bother you that they are leaving for reasons of aspirations elsewhere or just because you really liked them and were hoping they would remain with their original programs?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

NBA is having a lot of success with marketing players regardless of what team they are on and I think younger fans are more in tune with rooting for players over teams. I’m a Nugget fan and always will be, but I think fans of teams just have to realize that’s how the NBA is going to be marketed and these guys are going to move around because they hold the power to do that and it’s in their interest financially to do so.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information