Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Fanspeak and Draft Network Mocks

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    If Aiyuk makes it to round two that's dope.

Kinlaw is a great player and all, so if sheer BPA dictates it, at least we're maximizing value from that perspective, even if it's not in a place of need.
    aiyuk probably won't, but it'd be tight if he did. . .

DL isn't top priority if you want your top pick to start right away. . . i think top picks should be made with the long term picture in mind, though. . . casey is a 1-2 year rental, and harris is on a one year deal. . . purcell is also on a one year deal at nose, but they can probably re-sign him longer at a fairly reasonable price if they want. . . however, gotsis is gone, and walker is in the last year of his deal, as well. . . i love me some dremont jones, but he'll need to put on a good chunk of weight if he's going to play that 3-tech/five-tech role on early downs. . . especially in fangio's scheme, which frequently plays a 2-4-5 as a first down, base package. . . if you're only playing two down linemen on 1st, they better be able to hold some f'ing gaps! though having chubb back will also help, as he's basically a 43 end playing LB. . . still, DL is a legitimate need on this roster. . .

that said, i'd prefer an OT, simmons, or okudah. . . just how this one played out. . . i'd rather have on of those guys, with somebody like raekwon davis in a later round. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    aiyuk probably won't, but it'd be tight if he did. . .

DL isn't top priority if you want your top pick to start right away. . . i think top picks should be made with the long term picture in mind, though. . . casey is a 1-2 year rental, and harris is on a one year deal. . . purcell is also on a one year deal at nose, but they can probably re-sign him longer at a fairly reasonable price if they want. . . however, gotsis is gone, and walker is in the last year of his deal, as well. . . i love me some dremont jones, but he'll need to put on a good chunk of weight if he's going to play that 3-tech/five-tech role on early downs. . . especially in fangio's scheme, which frequently plays a 2-4-5 as a first down, base package. . . if you're only playing two down linemen on 1st, they better be able to hold some f'ing gaps! though having chubb back will also help, as he's basically a 43 end playing LB. . . still, DL is a legitimate need on this roster. . .

that said, i'd prefer an OT, simmons, or okudah. . . just how this one played out. . . i'd rather have on of those guys, with somebody like raekwon davis in a later round. . .
    In today's day and age first round picks are expected to start and that premise is even baked into the salary cap analysis. I don't remember where I read that from because I'm smashed, but that's worth mentioning. Let's be honest, we're not taking a first round pick to be a replacement for a guy we just traded for due to his, Casey's production/cost ratio.

I was listening to Simmons talk today about how the NFL is becoming more and more WR centric - the position is gaining in importance due to the rules *and* integration of college schemes. And considering how teams are investing more and more in second and third corners, you're going to want someone with top talent combat that. It used to be a luxury to have Stallworth/Swann, Moss/Welker, Roddy White/Julio, and to an extent it still is, but now we're inching and the Poet said inching, towards that. Now if anything teams are building to have a strong one two punch. It doesn't have to be double WR like Fitz/Bolden, but it could be double WR like Nelson and Cobb, or TE and WR, or double TE arguably like NE had for a bit. And so on and so forth.

We can pretend that WR is still a quasi-throw away position, or we can realize that the best teams in the entire NFL take the position seriously. Remember the Eagles? They poured investments into them, and before you tell me Jeffry was a second round pick that's only because he had weight and effort issues, whcih he clearly fixed. FFS the Chief's third best receiving threat is a ******* first round WR. and Fant is pretty good and going to improve, but we can't presume as a TE he can be that man because only a select few TE's can. You can be a receiving TE worthy of a first round pick that isn't on a Gronk/Kelce level.

And to get back to DL as a legitimate need, no it's not. Yeah, we have some guys with contracts up but obviously we're going to be able to resign some of them. And we have youngsters back there still waiting to get more experience. This isn't a dichotomy where you're either loaded at group or destitute. Dre won't have to put on too much weight because he was freakishly strong already. And I mean that within the context of being in the NFL with freakish athletes. To quote Jaded, Kinlaw would be the finishing touches on the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

In today's day and age first round picks are expected to start and that premise is even baked into the salary cap analysis. I don't remember where I read that from because I'm smashed, but that's worth mentioning. Let's be honest, we're not taking a first round pick to be a replacement for a guy we just traded for due to his, Casey's production/cost ratio.

I was listening to Simmons talk today about how the NFL is becoming more and more WR centric - the position is gaining in importance due to the rules *and* integration of college schemes. And considering how teams are investing more and more in second and third corners, you're going to want someone with top talent combat that. It used to be a luxury to have Stallworth/Swann, Moss/Welker, Roddy White/Julio, and to an extent it still is, but now we're inching and the Poet said inching, towards that. Now if anything teams are building to have a strong one two punch. It doesn't have to be double WR like Fitz/Bolden, but it could be double WR like Nelson and Cobb, or TE and WR, or double TE arguably like NE had for a bit. And so on and so forth.

We can pretend that WR is still a quasi-throw away position, or we can realize that the best teams in the entire NFL take the position seriously. Remember the Eagles? They poured investments into them, and before you tell me Jeffry was a second round pick that's only because he had weight and effort issues, whcih he clearly fixed. FFS the Chief's third best receiving threat is a ******* first round WR. and Fant is pretty good and going to improve, but we can't presume as a TE he can be that man because only a select few TE's can. You can be a receiving TE worthy of a first round pick that isn't on a Gronk/Kelce level.

And to get back to DL as a legitimate need, no it's not. Yeah, we have some guys with contracts up but obviously we're going to be able to resign some of them. And we have youngsters back there still waiting to get more experience. This isn't a dichotomy where you're either loaded at group or destitute. Dre won't have to put on too much weight because he was freakishly strong already. And I mean that within the context of being in the NFL with freakish athletes. To quote Jaded, Kinlaw would be the finishing touches on the line.
    You are cherry picking. You can't justify why 1 WR was a 2nd round guy and then credit a different team for having a 1st round bust as their #3.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Of course then the Eagles allowed one of their WR's to walk just like so many teams did with Cook. Why draft a guy high in the draft to let him go after one or two years? Doesnt make a lot of sense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

To me it's supply and demand. Teams who invest a ton of cash at the position aren't seeing the payoff in terms of rings. I don't care if KC has a former 1st rounder. He is CURRENTLY a journeyman who is under a reasonable deal. Jeffrey may be 1st round talent, but perhaps Philly was able to get to the SB because of what he was actually being paid.

Julio Jones is really the only recent SB WR who was the difference on their team in terms of getting to the big dance. We had DT, but our team didn't win because of us having a round 1 WR.

That's my take. I'm not gonna trow stuff if we get a stud at WR. I just think that given the fact that a team can win with a bunch of reasonably priced ones more so than 1 stud, I'm cool waiting.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

15: R1p15
    ot andrew thomas
    georgia

46: R2p14
    wr brandon aiyuk
    arizona st

77: R3p13
    lb malik harrison
    ohio state

83: R3p19
    dl raekwon davis
    alabama

95: R3p31
    cb cameron dantzler
    mississippi st.

118: R4p12
    c matt hennessy
    temple

178: R5p32
    rb darrynton evans
    app state

181: R6p2
    dl raeqan williams
    michigan state

252: R7p38
    lb michael divinity jr
    lsu

254: R7p40
    qb khalil tate
    arizona
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Yes dog yes

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Solid draft Doggy.

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    To me it's supply and demand. Teams who invest a ton of cash at the position aren't seeing the payoff in terms of rings. I don't care if KC has a former 1st rounder. He is CURRENTLY a journeyman who is under a reasonable deal. Jeffrey may be 1st round talent, but perhaps Philly was able to get to the SB because of what he was actually being paid.

Julio Jones is really the only recent SB WR who was the difference on their team in terms of getting to the big dance. We had DT, but our team didn't win because of us having a round 1 WR.

That's my take. I'm not gonna trow stuff if we get a stud at WR. I just think that given the fact that a team can win with a bunch of reasonably priced ones more so than 1 stud, I'm cool waiting.
    You keep making a rings argument, which is really strange. You also presume you have to just have one stud WR, or hat a round one pick doesn't end up being a reasonably priced WR.

You can't ******* sit here and tell me that Watkins is a journeyman, either. That's a strange statement to say about a guy who is about to play his third straight season on the same NFL team. It's kind of like when being tried to tell me Brandon Cooks isn't good and isn't a burner WR. Interesting how much Brady missed that guy.

In years past I would have likely agreed with you guys. But you're missing something that's happening right in front of you.

Of the past ten Super Bowl champions, just one team had a WR payroll that was outside of the top fifteen in the league. The New York Giants are that team and although the payroll would show that they were twenty-fourth in the league in the WR department, the contract Victor Cruz would get after that year took them way up on the list. For nine teams to all be in the top fifteen over ten years it shows that nothing has changed in how important this position is to a team’s success. Looking at the chart, it’s clear just how much these teams are paying their wideouts compared to what they paid their quarterbacks and running backs on average. https://www.samford.edu/sports-analy...pending-Part-3

Interesting. So teams are investing more in the position and doing well with that. Note that one of your arguments "and not just one stud," seems to support the notion, with this article, that even if you have one stud WR you don't stop there.

You're also flat out wrong about DT being the only one. And DT, the poor *******, was carrying the offense by being the top threat on the team. Thank god we had him otherwise we would have only had one WR as a big threat. Other things you got wrong:

Hill is a huge part of KC''s offense, yes they have Mahomes, the monster that he is, and yes they have Kelce, but Hill is a huge difference maker for them. Cooks was a huge part of the Rams offense the year they made the SB. He was a heavy contributor, regardless of his perception on this board. Jeffry was a round one talent, a WR1 in production, and the Eagles invested in him, a first round pick one a WR, traded for Smith, etc. I would imagine the Eagles don't wish that they had taken a better WR than Agholor rather than the fact that they drafted a WR.

But there's more argument destruction:

In terms of an individual wideout pay for a team, the difference between last place teams and teams that go on to hoist the Lombardi Trophy is even more drastic. In the last ten years, only three times has the last place team had a higher cap hit for their highest paid wide receiver than the Super Bowl Champion. Just two times has the bottom team had a higher hit for their second-place receiver. Only one Champion had a lower first and second receiver in terms of cap hits and that was the Giants in 2011 having the sixty-fourth and sixty-fifth highest cap hits for their wideouts.

So if we drafted someone like Jeudy, Lamb, or, Ruggs, we'd probably want to resign them if they did well right? So we would, if they pan out, be doing something that is in accord with the above text, right? Are you seeing it yet? Please tell me you're seeing it now?

Sure, if you hit on a third round WR and he's a beast you resign him, I get it, it's not like you can only do that with first rounders. But what we have in this article pretty clearly shows you that you want to put some money in the position and have better WR's than the opponent because it matters a lot. So if that matters a lot, and one WR isn't enough -as established earlier- then what does that tell you about a great WR with elite high end talent PLUS a team who has a massive need at the position? Especially when hitting on the positon now is so important?

We don't have to take WR round one, we certainly should have a lot one big talent guy by the third round, but it's a big need, it clearly matters, the data supports it, and the elite WR's in this class are far better players than the LT's. Everyone knows Jeudy is a star - there's not a single LT that anyone can truly say that about in this class.

You're more likely to find a round one WR on a SB roster than an offensive lineman...how is that possible with three or four WR slots on the field maximum but five each snap? How can that be guys!?!?!? How can that be when you have so many more offensive lineman on the rosters, which means you have a higher chance of staying in the league as a round one player even if you don't pan out. https://www.sbnation.com/2012/6/26/3...e-1st-round-is
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Waaaaaay too many words...even for pandemic reading

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Wha? My feelings!

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Just read the articles then. I just got excited about football nerd shit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Just read the articles then. I just got excited about football nerd shit.
    I'm fukkkkkin with u

I just wanted to be draftnik...I shall go elsewhere now. I can see my lot in life.

)=

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I just wanted to be draftnik...I shall go elsewhere now. I can see my lot in life.

)=
    If anything you’re selling yourself short.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information