Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite baseball memory

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Favorite baseball memory

I'm surprised there's no thread on this.

I don't know about y'all, but my memories of baseball are probably stronger than for any other sport.

My favorite memory was from when I was 14 living in northern CA. This was 1989, the year that ended with the Bay Bridge World Series between the Roided to the Gills Oakland Athletics and the SF Giants. First time I dug deep into a team. I moved to Norcal only a year prior to that, so I was just getting to know the teams. I liked the A's a little more than the Giants. It was badass they hit so many home runs, not gonna lie. Plus the pitching staff--that was what really sold me. With Eck as a closer and four (at least) borderline aces, it felt like the team was unstoppable.

Anyway, on to the memory part.

What I remember most was listening to games on AM radio while milking goats. I had to milk the goats, and I'd always try to time it with the broadcast. Made it suck a lot less.

The announcer (Bill King) was really good, too. Maybe best ever?

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

My favorite baseball memories all revolve around my son. I have way too many to count. One of the better ones was watching his team make it all the way to the Regionals little league tournament whe he was 13.

My son has a very deep love for the game of baseball and just seeing how happy it makes him to play has imprinted so many memories in my brain.

Big league memory for me is seeing Todd Helton catch the last out in the 2007 NLCS and celebrate. That was so cool. Also, the first MLB game my son and daughter ever went to was the Rockies vs Cubs when Cargo hit a walk off HR to complete a cycle. That was so awesome.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Too many, as well. My only World Series Championship I was actually just at home on a Sunday night, so that’s not very exciting. There’s a home opener at Coors as a teenager that’s memorable.

Watching a fly ball off the bat of Ken Griffey’s bat get caught at the wall when he was sitting on 499 in St. Louis. Little things like spring training games, specific games at Kaufman, etc.

Way too many. Documented, but this is my favorite sport.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Vin scully on the AM dial. Absolute butter.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post

My son has a very deep love for the game of baseball and just seeing how happy it makes him to play has imprinted so many memories in my brain.
    I wish my 11 yr old nephew felt the same. I feel he would be an outstanding pitcher. But he finds the game extremely boring. He hates all the down time. He constantly has coaches begging for him to play for them but he wants no part of it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Going to see the second Rockies game ever at Mile High Stadium in 1993, I still have the "I Was There!" pennant hanging in my old room at my dad's house. And of course watching my son play in his rec league games. I remember going camping with him to 11 Mile Canyon when he got his new glove before playing non-teeball games just to work with him on catching and grounding for like 4 hours. He's a lefty and for a 10 year-old he's got a pretty good arm and can launch it from the outfield to any base. Accuracy is an issue, but hey he is MY kid! I am looking forward to his upcoming season and taking him to a few Rockies games soon.

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I've got a few:

When I was a kid my grandpa was the CEO of MGM Grand Airlines in Los Angeles, so my dad and I would go there from time to time and visit. Once we went to a Red Sox/Angels game and got to go in to the locker rooms before the game. I met Roger Clemens. I don't really remember much of it as I was a squirt, but it happened.

I went to the first game at Coors Field with my great uncle Earl Howsam (Bob Howsam's brother). During the 7th inning stretch I got Andres Galaraga's autograph on my glove. Tried to get Dante Bichette, but he's a jerk. If I ever see him in person, I'll tell him he broke my heart when I was a kid and he threw my glove back to me with no autograph.

The season when Sosa/McGuire/Luis Gonzales broke the home run record I went to a D-Backs/Cubs game and watch Sammy smoke a grand slam at BOB.

One of the coolest things I've witnessed sports related was watching the Astros in 2017. Going out in public during the playoffs and World Series was incredible. People everywhere were wearing orange. There's seven million people in the Houston metro area...it was pretty incredible to see so damn many people rallying around something positive after Harvey.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

13. The Following 5 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Like most, I have a ton as well. But the first has to be the 83 World Series. I grew up about an hour away from both Philly and Baltimore, so it was fun as a kid to see and hear the fans of both teams discuss and argue the series in such a close proximity. My dad is a diehard Phillies fan and I suppose I was an equal fan of both at the time simply due to my location, but I remember rooting for the Orioles just because I wanted to do something different from him. I still love both teams, but that series is what made me focus primarily on being an O's fan. Sadly, it's been pretty much all down hill from there.

Growing up listening to John Miller on Orioles radio until he took the gig doing Sunday Night baseball on ESPN with Joe Morgan.

Then being on hand for Ripken's 2131 game. I could go on and on.

15. The Following 5 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Going to Padres and Angel's games with my Dad. We lived in SoCal for the majority of my childhood and would go to home games for both. At one point we lived on the hills behind Jack Murphy (Qualcomm) and I would ride my bike down to the stadium to games.

17. The Following 5 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I'm a fair-weather fan at best, and have never really followed baseball much at all, but I do have a couple cool memories:

Growing up, one of my best buddies was the bat-boy for the Denver Bears. I'd go to the games occasionally and often times I was allowed down on the field with the players to "help out". That was pretty cool, because on those occasions, I didn't have to pay to get in! The stadium was Bears Stadium, then renamed Mile High Stadium in the late 60's.

The other one is coaching my son and a bunch of his friends from Kindergarten through 5th or 6th grade. Watching those kids grow and improve their skills was really fun, and my biggest highlight was when my son and his best friend turned a double play. It was even more gratifying because neither of them are overly athletic. His friend caught a line drive toward 2nd base, and then threw it to my son who was manning 1st for the 2nd out. I was so excited, I nearly cried!
    Last edited by BroncoJoe; 04-04-2019 at 09:52 AM.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I saw Bo Jackson hit an inside the park homer in KC against the A’s. Canseco was in right field which helped. Holy hell Bo was a freak.

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    I saw Bo Jackson hit an inside the park homer in KC against the A’s. Canseco was in right field which helped. Holy hell Bo was a freak.
    Greatest athlete ever

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Fresh out of college in 1979, I was a reporter for a small-time AM radio station outside Houston so I would get media credentials to cover Astros games and get tape with players to use on-air. One night, after the game, I wound up in a conversation with pitching legend J.R. Richard which turned to our shared Christian faith. I enjoyed it and I guess so did he. I walked out to my car and was ready to drive off when I got to a stoplight at the edge of the parking lot. I heard a car honking behind me and I looked. It was J.R. Richard and he was waving and smiling - at me! I really try to stifle any celebrity worship and treat them like everyday people but I became a fan of his from that day.

I had a chance to interview Larry Dierker after his 1976 no-hitter. It was the night after his performance and I went to his locker. I asked a question about his no-no and I've never forgotten the conversation.

LD: "You know, it's been about 24 hours now and I'm really tired of talking about it. I had to get up early, I was on Good Morning America and it's just been non-stop. Could we talk about something else?"

Me: "Sure. Let's talk about your hitting."

LD: "I first thought about a no-hitter around the fifth inning..."

Dierker and I eventually became friends.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

25. The Following 4 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I can throw a decent circle change.

Coach I’d strike you out.

27. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

When McGwire and Sosa got outed for using roids.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information