Page 60 of 74 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 62 70 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Harris: Pay me or trade me

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I guess I'm wondering why they can't do both? It's not like Flacco is some bum off the street - he's been successful in this league, and as far as I know there weren't any "better" QB's available. We did draft a QB that was 1st round rated, who happened to slip into the 2nd round (where we moved up to grab him).

I think they can do both. Have a decent to good veteran QB in place while the kid learns. Flacco is not a multi-year solution unless he lights up the field (which is probably beyond wishful thinking). Plus, he's light years ahead of having Keenum on staff for the kid to watch.
    What you described is "win-now." There's nothing wrong with having a rookie to groom behind Flacco. The QB situation is clear. Not that it matters but I think Elway did the right thing in drafting Lock in the 2nd round. It might not work out long term, but again it might!

The question is "what do you do meantime?" If they are committed to "win-now" they desperately need every good player they can get. And that starts with Chris Harris.

If they feel like "we're maybe a 7-9 or 8-8 team and not getting a playoff berth this season" then what the hell is the point? Start Drew Lock right now. Trade Chris Harris. Hell, they might as well trade Von Miller. They could probably get multiple first round picks for him.

If you're NOT going to compete right now, then build for the future the way the Raiders did last year. They traded Kalil Mack and Amari Cooper and got draft picks. Now they feel they are ready to start competing. We'll see but at least they are consistent.

That's what Elway needs to be. Consistent. All in or all out. Pick your lane.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I guess I'm wondering why they can't do both? It's not like Flacco is some bum off the street - he's been successful in this league, and as far as I know there weren't any "better" QB's available. We did draft a QB that was 1st round rated, who happened to slip into the 2nd round (where we moved up to grab him).

I think they can do both. Have a decent to good veteran QB in place while the kid learns. Flacco is not a multi-year solution unless he lights up the field (which is probably beyond wishful thinking). Plus, he's light years ahead of having Keenum on staff for the kid to watch.
    What you described is "win-now." There's nothing wrong with having a rookie to groom behind Flacco. The QB situation is clear. Not that it matters but I think Elway did the right thing in drafting Lock in the 2nd round. It might not work out long term, but again it might!

The question is "what do you do meantime?" If they are committed to "win-now" they desperately need every good player they can get. And that starts with Chris Harris.

If they feel like "we're maybe a 7-9 or 8-8 team and not getting a playoff berth this season" then what the hell is the point? Start Drew Lock right now. Trade Chris Harris. Hell, they might as well trade Von Miller. They could probably get multiple first round picks for him.

If you're NOT going to compete right now, then build for the future the way the Raiders did last year. They traded Kalil Mack and Amari Cooper and got draft picks. Now they feel they are ready to start competing. We'll see but at least they are consistent.

The Broncos have top 5 position players at multiple spots. Can't say that about every team (Bills, Jets, Bengals, losers, etc)The building blocks are on both sides to be successful.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I agree with Cugel’s statement there. I think they should’ve gone one or the other, all in on a veteran or all in on a rookie.

But don’t worry, Cugel will say something to contradict it later.
    No. They have to decide what kind of team they are. What I sense from Elway is that he's waffling. He can't admit that the team is mediocre and not competitive in the division, even with the upgrade to Joe Flacco. He wants to compete NOW but doesn't have the players to do that.

So, he just punts and says "well, we'll just do our best and see what happens." That's not a plan. That's just "let's wing it." In football "let's just wing it" loses to a plan all the time.

Belichick didn't win all those championships by "just winging it" they have a plan and they stick to it. I don't recommend the "Patriots Way" for the Broncos, but at least the Patriots always seem to HAVE a plan, and they execute the plan and if the plan doesn't work, they discard it and plan another.

Elway just keeps falling between the cracks. He did this in 2016-2018 when he had no plan for "if Paxton doesn't develop to the point he can start effectively." So, they were stuck with Trevor Siemian at QB for 2 seasons. We all know how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    The Broncos have top 5 position players at multiple spots. Can't say that about every team (Bills, Jets, Bengals, losers, etc)The building blocks are on both sides to be successful.
    I think this misses the point. What this translates to is "I'm optimistic." OK, I'm not as optimistic as you but neither position matters. Elway is in charge of this team and his job is to realistically assess his talent. Can they win a SB by working with what they've got and essentially build around the edges?

Or is it a major rebuilding job with a completely new QB and offense? Either way Elway assesses it, he has to act consistently with that belief, but he's not doing that consistently. That's the problem.

They simply cannot "win now" without Chris Harris. It's just not going to happen. Their offense is not competitive with the Chiefs and Chargers, so their defense has to be better. It's not going to be "better now" losing the 2nd best player and only other All-Pro on their entire roster.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I think this misses the point. What this translates to is "I'm optimistic." OK, I'm not as optimistic as you but neither position matters. Elway is in charge of this team and his job is to realistically assess his talent. Can they win a SB by working with what they've got and essentially build around the edges?

Or is it a major rebuilding job with a completely new QB and offense? Either way Elway assesses it, he has to act consistently with that belief, but he's not doing that consistently. That's the problem.

They simply cannot "win now" without Chris Harris. It's just not going to happen. Their offense is not competitive with the Chiefs and Chargers, so their defense has to be better. It's not going to be "better now" losing the 2nd best player and only other All-Pro on their entire roster.
    I agreed earlier, cannot lose CH and expect to not miss a beat in the Secondary.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Cugel must have bought a lemon from one of Elway's dealerships.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Cugel must have bought a lemon from one of Elway's dealerships.
    I wish i had a car from Elway if i lived in Denver id have to have bought all my cars from there.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I wish i had a car from Elway if i lived in Denver id have to have bought all my cars from there.
    Our Jeep has an Elway badge.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Our Jeep has an Elway badge.
    Your Jeep Liberty smiled

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

This directly contradicts what you posted last night. Good job!
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I agreed earlier, cannot lose CH and expect to not miss a beat in the Secondary.
    True it would be difficult, but say with absolute certainty is dumb imo. Chris Harris is one best players on the team but the 2nd best? Idk.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    True it would be difficult, but say with absolute certainty is dumb imo. Chris Harris is one best players on the team but the 2nd best? Idk.
    2nd best because he's the only other player on the team possibly in the top 5 of the League at his position.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

2nd best because he's the only other player on the team possibly in the top 5 of the League at his position.
    I think an argument could be made that Chubb is the second best player on the team.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-22-2019 at 02:04 PM.

16. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Chris Harris contract update: Progress but no deal yet

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — There is mutual motivation in getting cornerback Chris Harris Jr. signed to a new contract.

Motivation has led to progress, if not yet a contract agreement.

Broncos general manager John Elway has exchanged multiple contract proposals in recent days with Fred Lyles, the agent representing Harris, sources familiar with negotiations tell 9News.

Both sides have moved as Harris continues his unofficial offseason holdout.
    AND
    In what is believed to be an unprecedented move, Elway is willing to bump Harris’ pay for a second consecutive year even though the player was already under contract.
    full article - https://www.9news.com/article/sports...5-799ea00b8089

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I think an argument could be made that Chubb is the second best player on the team.
    I'm not sure we can make that argument yet off one year of work.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information