Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos to host QBs Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock and Daniel Jones for pre-draft visits: Real interest or smokescreen?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos to host QBs Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock and Daniel Jones for pre-draft visits: Real interest or smokescreen?

PHOENIX — Quarterbacks Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock and Daniel Jones will make predraft visits to the Broncos, general manager John Elway confirmed Sunday during a break at the NFL’s annual meeting.

There are multiple ways to examine this news, which was expected when the Broncos did not meet with the quartet for 15-minute interviews at the scouting combine.

Call it a smokescreen to generate interest from teams picking below them who want to make a deal for the 10th pick.

Call it due diligence to make sure they are prepared to select Haskins in particular should he fall to them.
    rest - https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/2...-draft-visits/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Since Kyler Murray is expected to be the #1 overall pick to the Cardinals, this can only be seen as due diligence. Interview the candidates who, if things go very different than expected, might be available at #10. They can't just say "OMG! We didn't interview Murray, and now he's on the board. What do we do? Do we take him? Do we trade down? What?"

But, nobody sensible thinks Elway is going to take a QB at #10. None of his other moves this off-season makes sense if he was going to do that. If you take a QB at #10 you have to play him. No point letting the dude sit on the bench when you're not strong enough to compete for a SB. This isn't like having Peyton Manning starting and Osweiler sitting on the bench.

Elway has his starter in Flacco and clearly believes Flacco is "in his prime." That means Elway expects him to start for more than 1 year. He only has a couple more years left on his GM contract, and wants to win now. It would be unsurprising if they took a developmental QB in the second or 3rd. They don't have one on the roster now, and need one.

But, at #10? No. It's simply doing their due diligence so that in case something wildly unexpected happens, they are prepared.

Adopted Bronco:

I'll disagree. Elway wants to win now AND later and I think if Lock is there at 10, he grabs him. The 2 other pressing needs are ILB and C/G and there is talent available at both positions later in the draft. If we have ANY success at all next year, the cost to move up for a QB would be insane, so I think the safe bet is getting Lock this year and not having to worry about moving up for a QB of the future next year.

4. The Following 9 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I'll disagree. Elway wants to win now AND later and I think if Lock is there at 10, he grabs him. The 2 other pressing needs are ILB and C/G and there is talent available at both positions later in the draft. If we have ANY success at all next year, the cost to move up for a QB would be insane, so I think the safe bet is getting Lock this year and not having to worry about moving up for a QB of the future next year.
    Agreed, Elway has many time he wants to win AND later. Whether or not that means he'll take Lock if he's there at 10 I'm not so sure. However, I do expect him to take him to take a quarterback I'm just not convinced it will be in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    If he loves Lock then he should draft him at #10 if he's available. If he thinks Lock is a future SB QB then he should even move up and get him. But, based on his moves so far there's no indication that he wants to draft a Qb in the first round this year or that he particularly loves Lock.

As for Flacco, all too many fans and media dismiss him as the future franchise QB of the Broncos. Just because YOU don't believe he can do it doesn't mean ELway believes that! HE clearly thinks Flacco can start for the team for several more years and he just said as much by saying that Flacco is "in his prime."

Well, you don't bench a SB winning QB who's "in his prime."

The fans' desire to draft a QB at #10 is to quickly get RID of Flacco, as a starter, as soon as possible, because the fans do NOT believe that Flacco is "in his prime."

In short you all disagree with Elway and want him to draft a QB and get him in there and develop him immediately and prefer not to wait until next year.

And the argument for doing it this year is that if the team wins 8 or 9 games this year, but doesn't make the playoffs, that's just going to make it harder than ever to move up into the top 3 picks to grab a QB next year, since they'd be picking at #18 or something.

But, is Elway convinced that he has to draft a QB in the top 3? Or does he think he can get a guy in the second or third round and develop him like Russell Wilson or Jimmy Garapolo or Kirk Cousins or Nick Foles, all of whom were taken in the second or later?

The view in the national media is that Flacco is mediocre and washed up, that he had one great season, but that was 7 years ago and he hasn't be very good since 2014 which is 5 years ago now.

From everything that Elway has said he views Flacco as a potential SB contending QB if he can build the rest of the team around him. He's still "in his prime." Personally, I think that Flacco's "prime" was long ago and we can't expect him to be very good in Denver and that they should draft a QB and get him ready to start as soon as possible.

But, I don't expect Elway to do it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I think some people pay way to much attention to what people say than rather what they are doing. If Elway really believes that Flacco is in his "prime" then why not rework his contract and give Flacco some guaranteed money? I personally don't care what the national media thinks. I do expect that Elway is going to take a quarterback somewhere in this draft. Maybe not the first or second round but somewhere after that and at same time I would be shocked if drafts Lock at 10 if he's available.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Elway traded for a QB with experience starting in this league for a long time. WTF do you expect him to say?

I would not find it surprising at all if one of the 4 QB's listed is available at 10, that Elway either pulls the trigger, or trades with another team picking up a bunch of draft picks.

Some of the comments here, as usual, is someone talking out of their ass pretending to know exactly what Elway is planning on doing.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    But, nobody sensible thinks Elway is going to take a QB at #10.
    I consider myself a pretty sensible guy...

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Fangio said he and Elway agreed that a young QB needs to sit and learn and wait. To me it adds up that they are selling flacco to us in his prime so that the chants for a rookie to play etc arent there. It also lets them "develop" their young QB while we roll with Flacco.

If we do take Lock for ex. He has little to no exp under center. It will take him a while to get that imo. Same for all of the QBs in the first round this year. Since that is the offense we are going to run we do need a vet QB that can take snaps under center and not suck balls like case does, and throw the ball downfield which they want to do. I guess flacco is as close as it gets to that.

I am not sure Lock will make it to us and I am not sure he is worth 10. But I can see it happening. I have a feeling he is the #1 on Elways board.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    If he loves Lock then he should draft him at #10 if he's available. If he thinks Lock is a future SB QB then he should even move up and get him. But, based on his moves so far there's no indication that he wants to draft a Qb in the first round this year or that he particularly loves Lock.

As for Flacco, all too many fans and media dismiss him as the future franchise QB of the Broncos. Just because YOU don't believe he can do it doesn't mean ELway believes that! HE clearly thinks Flacco can start for the team for several more years and he just said as much by saying that Flacco is "in his prime."

Well, you don't bench a SB winning QB who's "in his prime."

The fans' desire to draft a QB at #10 is to quickly get RID of Flacco, as a starter, as soon as possible, because the fans do NOT believe that Flacco is "in his prime."

In short you all disagree with Elway and want him to draft a QB and get him in there and develop him immediately and prefer not to wait until next year.

And the argument for doing it this year is that if the team wins 8 or 9 games this year, but doesn't make the playoffs, that's just going to make it harder than ever to move up into the top 3 picks to grab a QB next year, since they'd be picking at #18 or something.

But, is Elway convinced that he has to draft a QB in the top 3? Or does he think he can get a guy in the second or third round and develop him like Russell Wilson or Jimmy Garapolo or Kirk Cousins or Nick Foles, all of whom were taken in the second or later?
    I don't know...fixing the secondary...fixing holes on the OL...getting a legit veteran QB to take the reins for a year or two...

All kind of look like indications that he wants to put the team in a position where they don't have to draft for need (as stated by him and Fangio many times), and can draft a QB for the future. He's in a position right now where he can get Lock in the first and a guy like Mack Wilson or Blake Cashman in the 2nd and a good guard/center in the 3rd and then just draft for depth after that. Holes filled and future secured.

I'd almost say that everything he's done is an indication of going that route. Not to mention the countless stories of how he's "smitten" with Lock and bringing every QB in for a visit.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I consider myself a pretty sensible guy...
    You have your moments.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    You have your moments.
    My biggest flaw is I'm too easy to trust the QB we have on the roster simply because he's the starter and give him my full support. I've been burned enough on that one, I'm a tad more cautious about it these days.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Elway has always, always said that he likes to address needs in FA and BPA in the draft. QB is a need. Not just an immediate one he patched with Flacco but a long term one he could look to the draft to fill. Remember the funny thing about BPA, QBs don’t really fall out where other positions do in that ranking structure. QB is always the top priority. If you don’t have one, it’s your biggest need.

Lock or Haskins or whoever might not be the best overall player at 10, but if the BPA is an edge rusher, do you still take him with both Von and Chubb on the roster making big $ and go into the future with ??? At QB or do you get that QB that can develop behind Flacco so we can be competitive once Flacco (who is a short term rental) is gone?

It only makes sense to take a QB at 10 if one we like is there.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    My biggest flaw is I'm too easy to trust the QB we have on the roster simply because he's the starter and give him my full support. I've been burned enough on that one, I'm a tad more cautious about it these days.
    I give players at all positions the benefit of the doubt, but easier to some players than it is others.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information