Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos to host QBs Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock and Daniel Jones for pre-draft visits: Real interest or smokescreen?

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I think Elway is doing his job

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    I think Elway is doing his job

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Fangio said he and Elway agreed that a young QB needs to sit and learn and wait. To me it adds up that they are selling flacco to us in his prime so that the chants for a rookie to play etc arent there. It also lets them "develop" their young QB while we roll with Flacco.

If we do take Lock for ex. He has little to no exp under center. It will take him a while to get that imo. Same for all of the QBs in the first round this year. Since that is the offense we are going to run we do need a vet QB that can take snaps under center and not suck balls like case does, and throw the ball downfield which they want to do. I guess flacco is as close as it gets to that.

I am not sure Lock will make it to us and I am not sure he is worth 10. But I can see it happening. I have a feeling he is the #1 on Elways board.
    Actually even though I'm not a huge lock fan. I have to disagree on the fact that you stated he hasn't played a lot under Center. That was the entire reason he came back this year was to play in more of a pro-style offense and a play Under Center I think at least 30% of his pass sets this year were under Center if I remember correctly

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I'll disagree. Elway wants to win now AND later and I think if Lock is there at 10, he grabs him. The 2 other pressing needs are ILB and C/G and there is talent available at both positions later in the draft. If we have ANY success at all next year, the cost to move up for a QB would be insane, so I think the safe bet is getting Lock this year and not having to worry about moving up for a QB of the future next year.
    You like Lock over Haskins Coach?
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I'll disagree. Elway wants to win now AND later and I think if Lock is there at 10, he grabs him. The 2 other pressing needs are ILB and C/G and there is talent available at both positions later in the draft. If we have ANY success at all next year, the cost to move up for a QB would be insane, so I think the safe bet is getting Lock this year and not having to worry about moving up for a QB of the future next year.

Do you agree with this assessment? It's from the latest Walter Football mock?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 6.41.03 PM.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	13924

8. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I like Lock’s experience over Haskins, that’s about it, from what I can gather.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Default Maybe Elway knows you think it’s a smokenscreen and wants you to think he knows you know that you think it’s a smokescreen.

Good thing we have a Sicilian (or 5) in the battle of wits with death on the line.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I like Lock’s experience over Haskins, that’s about it, from what I can gather.
    I think they are both safer bets then Murray or Jones. I'm with you though I like Lock's experience and the fact he improved consistently through his 4 years. I really like Haskins throwing ability though. I personally wouldn't be mad if we took either. I still don't believe we will, but I hope we do.

I'm pretty convinced the raiders are going to draft Haskins though, with Murray going number 1 to Arizona, I also think they should hold onto Rosen, but he really doesn't fit the kind of system they would have to install for Murray. I think he will probably get traded this summer during injury season.

We must remember as well though the Jets and Tampa have high interest in trading back, so a lot of movement can happen at the top now of the draft. we could get leapfrogged and miss out entirely, we could have interest in trading up, or we could just stand pat, and let the cards fall where they may.

There is talk about Looking at Stidham in a private workout as well.....so they could like Thorson or Stidham enough to go for one of those guys later or a guy like Rypien who they have met with already.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

13. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Actually even though I'm not a huge lock fan. I have to disagree on the fact that you stated he hasn't played a lot under Center. That was the entire reason he came back this year was to play in more of a pro-style offense and a play Under Center I think at least 30% of his pass sets this year were under Center if I remember correctly
    This is correct, and another reason why teams like him. He cares about his craft and putting the time and work in.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    You like Lock over Haskins Coach?
    By a fairly slim margin, yes. I think if I saw Haskins do well for more than one season...or even if he did it in a system different from Meyer's, I'd have more faith in him. But, I couldn't tell you which one will be the better pro 5 years from now.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Do you agree with this assessment? It's from the latest Walter Football mock?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 6.41.03 PM.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	13924
    I think 2nd round talent is a bit of a stretch. I'd say late first round. Somewhere along the lines of Paxton Lynch. Although I believe Lock has a much better football acumen than Lynch ever did and I think he'll be a better QB in the long run. Unfortunately, it's a fairly dry QB class this year, so all of their values are inflated a bit. To put it another way, if the top 3 this year had entered last year or next year, they'd rank as probably the 4th, 5th and 6th best QB's available, at best. My opinion.

18. The Following 5 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I think 2nd round talent is a bit of a stretch. I'd say late first round. Somewhere along the lines of Paxton Lynch. Although I believe Lock has a much better football acumen than Lynch ever did and I think he'll be a better QB in the long run. Unfortunately, it's a fairly dry QB class this year, so all of their values are inflated a bit. To put it another way, if the top 3 this year had entered last year or next year, they'd rank as probably the 4th, 5th and 6th best QB's available, at best. My opinion.
    It's about how I see it, but I also agree with the guy that Lock is a reach compared to the talent that will be available. Just me.....I still wouldn't pass up White for Lock. If White isn't there, I guess go for it, and hope Lock becomes a great QB.

20. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I think some people pay way to much attention to what people say than rather what they are doing. If Elway really believes that Flacco is in his "prime" then why not rework his contract and give Flacco some guaranteed money? I personally don't care what the national media thinks. I do expect that Elway is going to take a quarterback somewhere in this draft. Maybe not the first or second round but somewhere after that and at same time I would be shocked if drafts Lock at 10 if he's available.
    That makes no sense. Why would they re-negotiate Flacco's contract? He's under contract right now through 2021! And there's ZERO dead cap money, all his guaranteed money has already been paid! His contract is great for the Broncos as is!

So if they decide to get rid of him after this season, then no cap hit. But, they can simply keep him around at $20m next season, which is chump change for a good starting QB but is too much to pay an ageing veteran backup.

So, it depends on how Flacco does this year.

As for drafting a QB in the later rounds of the draft, you are making my point. Of course they need a developmental QB and don't have one. So, somewhere between the 2nd and 7th round they should draft one to develop the way they did Trevor Siemian and Chad Kelly.

It's just that Elway isn't interested in drafting a QB at #10.
    "I'd be shocked if the Broncos draft a QB at #10." -- Broncos Insider Troy Renck.
    That's basically the universal view. Of course he could still do it, but all his moves so far indicate that he thinks he can compete RIGHT NOW, with the team he's got (with a few upgrades at RT and CB to fill holes).

It makes no sense to draft a QB with the 10th pick of the first round unless you intend to start him as soon as possible. It's a waste of a draft pick.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    It's about how I see it, but I also agree with the guy that Lock is a reach compared to the talent that will be available. Just me.....I still wouldn't pass up White for Lock. If White isn't there, I guess go for it, and hope Lock becomes a great QB.
    There are probably 15 players I would take before Lock. But...God only knows what goes through Elway's head sometimes.

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

There are probably 15 players I would take before Lock. But...God only knows what goes through Elway's head sometimes.
    Well, THAT's the truth! Last year for instance he didn't draft a QB at all because "we're not kicking Paxton to the curb!" This, about 4 months before they actually kicked Paxton to the curb, which any casual fan could have told you was blindingly obvious.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information