Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite concept albums

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Favorite concept albums

I was listening to Deloused in the Comatorium by The Mars Volta a few minutes ago when I went to pick up takeout from the local Asian spot. Totally irrelevant but I got something new: spicy Korean noodle soup (combo). Dayum it was tasty.

Anyway, while listening to that CD in my car, I thought about what an excellent album it was from start to finish, and how each song seemed unified somehow with an overall theme or tone or meaning of the larger album. I can't put my finger on that theme or tone or meaning, but it's there. It's something from the album as a whole that exists separate from any individual song.

So I'd like to know your favorite albums like that--I don't mean they all have to be Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall. Just albums that when you think about them you get a feeling about the album itself that is entirely separate from any individual song. Probably all good albums have this, it doesn't mean it's some sort of prog rock manifesto. MF Doom's Doomsday is a great example--wait, how about De La Soul's 3 Feet High? Perfect example.

Here's the kicker. See if you can put your finger on what it is about the album.

I'll go back to Deloused in the Comatorium for the two people reading this who might be at a place where they can enjoy it. I'd say the feeling I get about the album is the damage done by heroin to a group of musicians who lost a close friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

King Diamond - Abigail
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

4. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    King Diamond - Abigail
    Listening now, it's badass. The thin/reedy vocals don't bother me--I've been lucky that I enjoy all types of vocal quality. I tried to turn a buddy of mine onto The Damned's The Black Album, and he couldn't get past Dave Vanian's voice.

What do you think about when you think about the album. How does the album stick out more than any particular song?
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Basically anything from Mind.In.A.Box. Lost Alone, Dreamweb, Crossroads, the list goes on. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tf-Sdm...pFs56DEqisVei#

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Who Will Survive and What Will be Left of Them by Murder By Death.

The Wall of course.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Who Will Survive and What Will be Left of Them by Murder By Death.

The Wall of course.
    What I love about the Murder by Death album is the story. It's about the devil taking over this small town in Mexico. It's just great writing and it fits the bands style perfectly.

You should give this album a listen Hawg, I think you'd dig it.

9. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

London Calling (The Clash) - Intractable youth
    Phantasmagoria (The Damned) - Pure gothic romance, in the 19th century sense of romance
    Weezer (s/t) - Buddies
    Led Zep IV - The ineffable yearning of certain young men, the type that began with folks like Robert Johnson

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

What I love about the Murder by Death album is the story. It's about the devil taking over this small town in Mexico. It's just great writing and it fits the bands style perfectly.

You should give this album a listen Hawg, I think you'd dig it.
    Yeah, I really liked the Murder by Death you shared a few years back. Really powerful. Wish I had four ears and two brains.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    King Diamond - Abigail
    Listening now, it's badass. The thin/reedy vocals don't bother me--I've been lucky that I enjoy all types of vocal quality. I tried to turn a buddy of mine onto The Damned's The Black Album, and he couldn't get past Dave Vanian's voice.

What do you think about when you think about the album. How does the album stick out more than any particular song?
    It was the first KD album with slick high production and was far cleaner and crisper than any Mercyful Fate sounds previously. One of the first albums where each song was chained to the next in a story. Them is a close second, but Abigails sound quality puts it ahead.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

13. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

An album I loved for it's utter absurdity when it came out was Hooray for Boobies by the Bloodhound Gang

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

An album I loved for it's utter absurdity when it came out was Hooray for Boobies by the Bloodhound Gang
    Same!

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

King Diamond - Abigail
    Dude.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

So, this will sound crazy, but American Idiot album from Green Day. Mostly because given their beginnings and style of music I never imagined in the 90s they'd still be making music on that level 20 years later, much less an album like that with many interlaced songs, themes, etc.

It's a hell of an album start to finish

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    So, this will sound crazy, but American Idiot album from Green Day. Mostly because given their beginnings and style of music I never imagined in the 90s they'd still be making music on that level 20 years later, much less an album like that with many interlaced songs, themes, etc.

It's a hell of an album start to finish
    Exactly what I'm talking about--Shazam hit the nail on the head for the 'concept album' that tells a story from song A to song Z, but what I meant by the thread itself was just albums that you think of the album as somehow greater than the collection of songs. As if the album itself has a soul.

21. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Exactly what I'm talking about--Shazam hit the nail on the head for the 'concept album' that tells a story from song A to song Z, but what I meant by the thread itself was just albums that you think of the album as somehow greater than the collection of songs. As if the album itself has a soul.
    No doubt. In that vein, an album being more than the individual parts that make it up, AND in keeping with my 90s musical roots: Nirvana Unplugged.

It was never intended as an album beyond just being a live recording of a Nirvana show but once it was completed it was an absolute masterpiece. Even the Bowie and Meat Puppets songs fit together perfectly with classic Nirvana and their more mainstream stuff from Nevermind. The banter between Kurt, Krist, and Dave highlighted the personality of each bandmember and left me feeling as though I was sitting in a practice room with them just enjoying my personal time with the band.

When I lived in a squad bay with 99 other dudes in 29 Palms I would put my headphones on, start the album, and drift off listening to Kurt’s coarse voice in juxtaposition to the stringed instruments and other orchestral accompaniment MTV put behind them, the crowd cheering between songs, and Kurt remarking about someone tuning a ******* harp, he thought they were a big rock band after all.

The two biggest musical influences through my teens and early 20s were Nirvana and Acid Bath (Kurt Cobain and Dax Riggs). I still can’t get enough of either.

23. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information