Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Stones vs. Beatles

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Timmy said it perfectly. The Beatles are the most overrated thing, and I say thing in the way of encompassing all things not in the way of a filler word. In other words there has never been an object, idea, person, being, element, or "thing" as overrated as the near talentless band called the Beatles.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Exile on Main Street is a top ten all-time album by every conceivable meaningful metric.

The Beatles have zero albums that attained that level of greatness

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Exile on Main Street is a top ten all-time album by every conceivable meaningful metric.

The Beatles have zero albums that attained that level of greatness
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

The Beatles we're basically the first boy band.

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

My thesis: The Stones at their best are better than The Beatles at their best.

Top 10 Rolling Stones Songs:

Dead Flowers
    Rocks Off
    Street Fighting Man
    Sway
    Ruby Tuesday
    Wild Horses
    Brown Sugar
    No Expectations
    She's A Rainbow
    Let It Bleed

Top 10 Beatles Songs:

If I Fell
    Rain
    And Your Bird Can Sing
    Dig A Pony
    I'll Follow the Sun
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    All My Loving
    In My Life
    She Said She Said
    Two Of Us

I'm struggling to find a solid case to put any of the Beatles songs in the Top 5 over any of those first 5 Stones songs.

The Rolling Stones had 3 or 4 good-great albums depending on who you ask, and they were all within a 4 year period: 1968-1972. Other than that, they have a handful of really good songs before 1968 and after 1972. The Beatles had probably 8 or so good-great albums depending on who you ask, and they were all within a 7ish year period.

In terms of longevity, The Stones have been around waaaaaaay longer, but being around longer does not mean that they are a better band especially considering the RS peaked in the early 70s and most of what they've released since then has been mediocre other than a few standout songs (Beast of Burden, Start Me Up).

My personal conclusion: The Beatles' body of work is far more consistent, and it's not even a contest. They wrote lots of good-great and clean sounding pop songs, successfully tried out different styles, and stayed relevant. The Rolling Stones have an inconsistent body of work. For the most part, they were at their best when they stuck to rough around the edges heartland rock and roll. The Beatles wrote a lot of good songs, a few great ones, and very few bad ones. The Rolling Stones wrote a lot of mediocre songs, but had a string of great ones. The highs of the Rolling Stones were higher than the highs of the Beatles. The Lows of the Rolling Stones were lower than the lows of The Beatles. The Beatles operated on a 7 or 8 out of 10 throughout most of their career and only once in a while would reach a 9 or a 10. The Rolling Stones on the other hand operated on a 5 or a 6 throughout most of their career but were able to reach the 9s and 10s more often than The Beatles. The Beatles had many more good songs, but the good songs that The Rolling Stones had were better than those that the Beatles had.

If you put me on a desert island and tell me I can pick a 10 song playlist of only Beatles/Stones music, I'd probably pick 6 or 7 Stones songs to 3 or 4 Beatles songs. The Rolling Stones tend to ignite something in me that the Beatles don't as often. They are both great bands worthy of our respect and admiration for different reasons, but I'm going with The Stones.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Whats wrong with that?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Lol!
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Tumbling dice is light years ahead of any beatles effort

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    First experimental rock band, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

14. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

How many light years are we talking here? Like...between galaxies, or between Earth and Sirius. You're thinking Sirius, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

17. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I'm not really a fan of either band, but if I had to choose one to listen to, it would probably be the Rolling Stones.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

The Stones have so much of a catalogue and longevity
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Whats wrong with that?
    It's all style and no substance.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information