Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Nalen on Losing Matt Paradis and on Garrett Bolles' Play!

Default Tom Nalen on Losing Matt Paradis and on Garrett Bolles' Play!

Ring of Famer Tom "Nails" Nalen doesn't mince any words about what he thinks about the Broncos recent OL moves in this very candid interview. Nalen was a serious bad-ass on the field, and he doesn't pull any punches about the current Broncos OL. I don't know that I 100% agree with him, but it is an interesting take from the greatest center in Broncos history:
    Nalen: "Matt Paradis. I'm actually pissed about that! I just spent the last hour watching week 17 Broncos - Chargers tape.

So, I'm thinking, 'what are they seeing?' Because John Elway said that they're comfortable with Connor McGovern playing center. I'm not sure what he's watching. I gave the benefit of the doubt to Connor McGovern. I didn't want to watch the TExans game because that's the game Matt Paradis got hurt, and I knew McGovern wouldn't be ready. Give me week 17, when guys are trying to make the team, they know the coach is getting fired, San Diego isn't really playing hard either.

But, he doesn't look like a center. Six week later he still doesn't move like a center. And we've got the general manager saying 'we're comfortable with Connor McGovern playing center.'

So, now you're creating two weaknesses. Connor McGovern is a right guard. So, 'let's move a guard to center and find someone else to play guard.' So, why not pay Paradis to play center?

You're just shifting chairs on the Titanic here!

Q: "You know they low-balled Paradis, big-time?"

Nalen: "Yeah! And they used the injury as the reason for it. They offered him a similar deal in July and he rejected it.

And then we learn they were looking at Morris, the Chiefs center. Why the hell would you be looking at a Chiefs guy instead of paying your own guy? You should be dealing with him first!

Q: "Devil's advocate here: He's been injured, with double hip surgery, and the broken leg, they don't think he'll be the same player any more."

Nalen: "I didn't see any drop-off from the hip surgery. And the broken leg? Meh. You come back from that. Sometimes, like Chris Kuper not. But, you were still offering him $9m dollars! So, which is it?

Q: "So your problem is really with Connor McGovern?"

Nalen: "Plus, I watched week 17 Garrett Bolles. And I'm kinda anti-Bolles. I saw a sequence of three plays in a row. One - holding got a running TD called back. And you can see him after the play chirping at someone on the Chargers. Next play, Joey Bosa gives him the business. And for some reason Bolles, with the umpire 3 feet away just throws Bosa to the ground. Another holding penalty. On the third play, he did not get called for holding out of pity. I swear to God, the umpire is like 'I cannot do this to the kid. I don't want to see him cry.' But, he held SOO bad on the third play in a row. Man, what can I saw. He's just terrible.

He's got a clock on him. He's got a 3 second clock. He's good for 3 seconds and then he just stops. It's hard to question OL effort because they're usually just trying to hang on for dear life. But, that dude? He's soft, doesn't play hard, holds, his hands [use of hands] are terrible.

Connor McGovern is terrible up on the second level too, getting on LBs. He's a guard. He should be the guard. Paradis should be the center - for $9m a year. They offered him 1 year at $9m a year. Carolina is giving him $9m a year for 3 years - $27m.

I don't understand it! 'We're comfortable with Connor McGovern?'"

Q: "They were trying to get Billy Turner done first. That was the plan, and then get to Paradis done. [But, they didn't get either done, and both are gone.] Some guys they don't even make an offer at all. Brandon Marshall gone, Bradley Roby done. NO offer."

Nalen: "So Billy Turner was the domino. Once he decided to cut off negotiations, because they were low-balling him, that ended the negotiations for Paradis? But, they treat outsiders better than their own players!"

Q: "That's what happens when you screw up your own negotiations for your players, you end up overpaying [for other teams' players]."

Nalen: "Did you see Jawan James' contract? It's big! $31m guaranteed? It is a big 4 year commitment. It's a marriage. It's a 4 year commitment. Lane Johnson is below him in salary right now and Lane Johnson is a damn good RT."

Q: "OK, not to be too negative here, Bolles is. . . .?"

Nalen: "Terrible."

Q: "Ron Leary is. . . .?"

Nalen: "Good, as a football player. He's a good G, I'm not saying he's great. But, we don't know what he is after the Achilles. We'll find out that in October or whenever he comes back. But, he's a good player if he's healthy."

Q: "McGovern. . . .? "

Nalen: "Put him back at guard! Find a center now! Go draft a rookie, second round. Find some dude."

Q: "Do you think McGovern is a better G than Elijah WIlkinson?"

Nalen: "Yes. He's a tackle. He could be that swing tackle who Billy Turner was. And there's value in that with how the roster is constructed."
    Pretty good talk all around. I suppose we're hoping that Mike Munchak can reach Bolles and get him to play like a good LT. Or else they have to draft his replacement at #10. But, it's not adequate right now.

Right now the prospective OL lineup is a disaster and Joe Flacco is immobile. IT's not a good combo. Hopefully, this improves as FA and the draft continues.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Garrett Bolles is ******* terrible. Probably my least favorite player on the team right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Yeah ... well ... bye Felicia.

The OL got better without Paradis, Bolles included.

They found their last stiff C in the 6th round, Find him again.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

4. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Yeah ... well ... bye Felicia.

The OL got better without Paradis, Bolles included.
    You're take on Paradis is so lame. You're just wrong.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    You're take on Paradis is so lame. You're just wrong.
    Am I? Oh well.

Dude is not $8 M better than any starting C in the league, don’t care enough to argue.

Btw, * your.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

7. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Am I? Oh well.

Dude is not $8 M better than any starting C in the league, don’t care enough to argue.

Btw, * your.
    Actually, you're was correct in that instance...

9. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

My bad.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Actually, you're was correct in that instance...
    I screwed up the first "you're". First mistake I've made in about 5 years.

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I screwed up the first "you're". First mistake I've made in about 5 years.
    You're right. I missed that one.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

FWIW, Nalen is the guy that said Joey Bosa was a bust waiting to happen, I love Nalen and wish he’d go back with Kreckman, but it feels like he’s viewing this one personally.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

If the Broncos run more ZBS then McGovern’s 2nd level deficiency will be a bigger issue, but that’s true for Leary and Thomas too. Basically any OL they have outside of Bolles and the stiff from ASU.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Am I? Oh well.

Btw, * your.
    You just saw the greatest Broncos center in their history say you're wrong, that Paradis is a good center well worth the $9m a year he's getting, and all you've got is "$#$#**@!"?

Well, I got a good laugh which is probably the best thing that's going to happen to me this afternoon, so kudos!

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Jaded and I have been hating on Paradis for years... Lest anyone think that it's just sour grapes that he's gone.

We can deploy that $9 mil more effectively elsewhere. Guy has anchored a terrible o-line for years - I'll take my chances with someone else.

18. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    You just saw the greatest Broncos center in their history say you're wrong, that Paradis is a good center well worth the $9m a year he's getting, and all you've got is "$#$#**@!"?

Well, I got a good laugh which is probably the best thing that's going to happen to me this afternoon, so kudos!
    Well, you bang on Elway, who is the greatest Broncos QB in their history for not being able to find a good QB.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

You’re welcome, so glad I could finally return the favor.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information