Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos sign T JaWuan James

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    We had to do something at RT, and we have. This probably rules out a OT at ten now, which to be honest I'm glad about, because I felt there were better players on defense or Lock at 10, that made more sense without possibly making a reach. James was a beast in 2017, but was hurt last year with a patellar tendon injury he battled all year, so there is risk here, But also good upside so I don't dislike the move. The contract scares me, but its pretty clear the market has shifted this year, so I still think John made the right move here.

Rumor is we are trying to re-sign Paradis, which if it happens would give us Bolles, Leary, Paradis, McGovern and James. That seems to be a upgrade to me if everyone is healthy. Still though, we need to get a OT to develop and make sure we have a solid Guard back-up plan as well. Leary is coming off injury
    We should grab the Northern Illinois kid.

2. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    We should grab the Northern Illinois kid.
    I like him as a prospect. He has good work ethic, has some solid tape, has a passion for the game and fits the mold of a player to develop under Munchak. I expect him to be take in rd. 3 or 4. I also would be fine Taking Tytus Howard in that range. Unless we don't draft Lock then we need to draft a Qb around the 2-4 range, to develop the right way and stop farting around with the mediocre Qb's of the world....That would change the target a bit I would think.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

4. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    oh, i'm not. . . i've just accepted that there AREN'T any franchise tackles anymore. . . maybe tyron smith when he was fully healthy, but i don't see a single OT in the league right now who will get even the slightest consideration for the HOF when he's done. . . joe thomas was the last of the mohicans. . . that's obviously not to say that there aren't plenty of guys who are better than bolles. . . but true franchise type tackles? i don't see many, if any, around the league. . .
    Outside of Jason Peters I would agree with you here Dog. His 9 pro bowls and 2 first team all pro selections will get him some serious consideration for the HOF.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    At least this means that the Broncos need RG and C. James gets the highest contract for a RT in NFL history. He will have to be very, very good to be worth this much.

But, RT is very important in that many teams have two pass rushers or else DE/OLB who moves around the line to create mismatches against slower Ts. You can't have a slower less able RT any more.

RT and CB were two of the Broncos 3 big needs (along with QB). Now they just need a TE and a RG and they may be able to find a RG in the draft. DOn't have to use a 1st round pick to fill any desperate hole any more.

They could simply draft the best player available at #10 - which might be ILB Devin White.

It is now unlikely to be a T with the 10th overall pick unless Muchak has decided that Bolles is a bust and that they have to replace him.
    It depends on what Denver plans to do with Conner McGovern. He's capable of starting at guard or center.

Adopted Bronco:

This move just shows our desperation on the OL. James is solid and coming off a good year, but in a typical year, there is no way he is worth this contract. Hope he proves me wrong, but I cant help but feel we'll regret this one eventually.

8. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    This move just shows our desperation on the OL. James is solid and coming off a good year, but in a typical year, there is no way he is worth this contract. Hope he proves me wrong, but I cant help but feel we'll regret this one eventually.
    it feels like elway doesnt know whether he is rebuilding or competing. And franchise doesnt really have a direction.

Hoping for the best like a Clady type tackle.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    it feels like elway doesnt know whether he is rebuilding or competing. And franchise doesnt really have a direction.

Hoping for the best like a Clady type tackle.
    Elway believes theyre not that far away and is looking to bring a contender in 2019
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    oh, i'm not. . . i've just accepted that there AREN'T any franchise tackles anymore. . . maybe tyron smith when he was fully healthy, but i don't see a single OT in the league right now who will get even the slightest consideration for the HOF when he's done. . . joe thomas was the last of the mohicans. . . that's obviously not to say that there aren't plenty of guys who are better than bolles. . . but true franchise type tackles? i don't see many, if any, around the league. . .
    Franchise player does not equal HOF. They need to find a guy who would play for 10 seasons. That equals "franchise" - you draft him and plug him in and re-sign him when his contract expires.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

RT has been a revolving door for too long. Like the signing, not the price but it's the state of free agency now. Both signings are a upgrade over last year, the Broncos are already better and it's early.

14. The Following User High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

"They could have gotten him [Paradis] done for around $9m, maybe $9.5. The time to get this done was last year in training camp. Last July. Now, it's going to cost more. Now Paradis is able to take offers from other teams. Now, Paradis is going to say they made me wait, now I want what other teams will offer, $11m, or $12m." -- Orlando Franklin, former Broncos RT.

They tried to get it done for cheaper at the last minute. It's not going to work. Now Paradis is the most valuable C on the market and he's getting a big offer.

Just another in an endless series of screwups with John Elway's contract negotiations. Listening to Orlando Franklin this morning about how they screwed up their negotiations with him, and then signed Donald Stephenson to that bad contract for a lot more money than Orlando, it was just a scathing indictment of how they handled his negotiations with Elway. Clearly things have not changed.

I don't care if players are butt hurt, because I'm a Broncos fan, but waiting until the last minute and then trying to get a deal done a couple of weeks before FA to try and get a deal done is just stupid. It's not working and Elway just refuses to change.

(EX: #1 was the Brock Osweiler negotiations that went so badly wrong that Osweiler left for the huge FA contract, and Elway had to panic move up in the draft and grab . . . Paxton Lynch.)

Now, the signing of Jawan James is a good one even if the Sports press gives it a "D." But they should have re-signed Paradis last off-season. Losing him is going to hurt them.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-12-2019 at 09:21 AM.

16. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

I love it.

I think it would have been foolish to sign paradis last offseasons. Guy had another hip surgery. You dont extend a player who just went on ir.

Plus McGovern did fine. We dont need to pay paradis a ton. That imo is foolish.

Plus, that much money for a oft injured double hip player is not smart. Love the guy, but not for us, not anymore.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

19. The Following 7 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Improved each season. I can live with that over what we have.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    Improved each season. I can live with that over what we have.
    It fills a big hole and he's a good player. My biggest concern is his injury history. Really, my biggest frustration is having to spend that much to fill a hole due to completely inept drafting.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

James is very good. I think of him like Jordan Gross with the Panthers a few years back: could play either position, made a few pro bowls and even a first team All Pro one year. He settled in at LT for the second half of his career. I dunno that James is gonna do that, but he's a quality tackle on a team that desperately needed one - and paid through the nose for it.

John can't draft tackles, and he can't pick up value tackles in FA. All that was left was to pay full freight for a tackle, and James is still young enough to not be dead money by the end. It's expensive now but if it works the Broncos have solved an Achilles heel that was holding back the offense - ANY offense - from achieving enough to get Denver where it wants to go.

I'm all right with it.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

24. The Following 5 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information