Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Prospects For the Defense In 2019!

Default Prospects For the Defense In 2019!

The off-season's now about to get going with FA and the draft. Now's a good time to sound off on what to expect from Vic Fangio's new shiny defense this year.

Some of you may have a different opinion than me so you get to sound off:

It looks like the defense should be improved over last year. In 2018 the defense was 13th in the all important Points Allowed, the only statistic that really matters, with 349 points allowed.

So, about a B to B+, not an A. They were used to being a top 10 defense, but they really declined and weren't that any more, let alone an elite defense.

So, just for that alone, Joe Woods and Vance Joseph deserved firing! So richly deserved firing as they were supposed to be defensive experts when they were hired. That was the supposed reason to hire them in the first place!

Major problem has been the loss of talent on defense since the SB.

Malik Jackson and Danny Trevathan left in FA, DeMarcus Ware retired and nobody remotely comparable replaced them. DeMarcus Walker was supposed to develop into a standout defensive tackle. He was drafted #51 of the second round in 2015.

And most of you have forgotten or never even knew he was on the team. He's a healthy scratch every game, and he's barely seen any action - he got into 10 games in 2017, but only was active in 3 games last year. ZERO impact. He's another total Elway bust.

So, there is a need at DE where Derek Wolfe ain't getting any younger or healthier. He's good when healthy, but for how much longer will he be healthy with his injury history?

They got rid of Domato Pecko so another vacancy to fill in the draft or FA.

Inside LB is in transition, losing Brandon Marshall and going to a new Fangio style defensive system like what he ran in Chicago. Mock drafts have them taking LSU LB Devin White:

2/16/19: White is your quintessential linebacker who is a physical force against the run, covers ground in pass defense, and is a team leader who sets the tone for a violent, intimidating defense. White is worthy of being a top-16 pick in any draft class because he looks like a future difference-maker as a three-down starter in the NFL. He is a good fit for either a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense. White should be a starter quickly in his NFL career and could be a Pro Bowler early on.
    If he's available they are expected to jump on him, since Fangio's defenses always feature such an elite agile LB.

Biggest other improvement is to continue the development of Bradley Chubb who had a monster year last year for a rookie with 12 sacks and 60 tackles. To continue off that trajectory puts him into elite All-Pro territory very quickly - somewhere around 15 sacks a year - that's elite. Only guys with 15 sacks last year were Aaron Donald, J.J. Watt and Chris Jones. That's the caliber of player Chubb is or should be with proper coaching and development.

So, the defense should definitely be better next year, but they need that elite inside LB. CJ Mosley is also available, but he'll cost a boat-load! At least 15m a year, and he'd probably want around Von Miller money (the market goes up every year, Von would get more if he were a FA now).
    When the Baltimore Ravens drafted Mosley, they envisioned him slotting in as Ray Lewis’ replacement. While Mosley didn’t quite match Lewis’ 80.0-plus grades in his first four seasons, he still became a consistent leader of the Ravens’ vaunted defense. He’s placed top-35 in run-stop percentage in each of his four years, including a career-best 10.6 percent in 2018. Mosley dispelled talk that he was a liability in coverage after posting career-lows in yards allowed (408), yards per reception (9.3) and yards after the catch (190). If he doesn’t get a big contract in Baltimore, another team will certainly be willing to shell out.
    Secondary is in wild transition:

Bradley Roby is gone, gone baby gone. Darian Stewart, see-ya later! Will Parks and Isaac Yiadom will be relied on. So, they already have a crying need to draft a CB and veteran depth at S wouldn't hurt either.

CB could be an early draft consideration in the first or second round.

Overall, with decent coaching instead of Vance and Joe WOoDs (whom I swear seemed to be on magic mushrooms much of the time) they should be right back in the top 10 defensively. But, they do have to fill a few holes and prepare for a future without Derek Wolfe in the next couple years.

All in all, the defensive prospects are very bright. Offensive, not so much, as we'll see shortly.

2. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dre'mont Jones

Losing Talib had a bigger impact than I expected. On the defensive side, I think a good corner, a decent safety, and Mosley need to be top FA priorities for us this year. I believe Mosley is worth every penny we'd throw at him. The draft is deep at DT/DE, so I think going for depth there should be through the draft.

For our first round pick, if Murray, Haskins, or Lock are there at our spot, we need to take them. I know that's an unpopular stance, but when you are up this high in the draft, and you don't have a decent QB on the roster, you need to roll the dice--it's such a crapshoot with QB's in the draft, and you never know when you might land the next franchise QB.

4. The Following User High Fived kenoy28 For This Post:

The problem is that they decided not to renew Bradley Roby's contract and he was supposed to be Talib's replacement. He didn't work out so they are letting him walk. They need to find some CB talent in FA or in the draft now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

A lot of people in Bmore dont think Mosley is going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Well, it's like Paradis in Denver. Re-signing top veterans is a big priority, but are they willing to pay the price?

It is hard for a team to let a player hit FA and THEN re-sign them. Usually if a team lets it get that far, then the player will get a bigger offer and be gone. Sometimes there's not the market the player anticipated and he doesn't get that bigger offer. When that happens sometimes he re-signs with his old team and sometimes not.

So, they can re-sign Mosley but he's going to get just ridiculous money. Paradis will get somewhere between $9 and $10m a year. Doubtful the Broncos pay it.

Mosley should have been re-signed last year if they wanted to keep him. Now they will have to pay top $ and that is very expensive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

he's not the only option in FA. . . kwon alexander would be a great pickup. . . KJ wright would fit, if he's healthy-- jamie collins would also work. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Mosley is good no doubt about it. However, not as good as the way someone is going to pay him. I'm with Dog here!
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I want Mosley

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Mosley is good no doubt about it. However, not as good as the way someone is going to pay him. I'm with Dog here!
    I think that is TBD. Yes, he's the best ILB option on the market, but with Alexander there and Jamie Collins just being added to the list, it is getting longer and there are options. It's not like at OG where Saffold is going to get overpaid by simply being the only reliable one on the market.

13. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I read an article and cant remember where, but it showed that like 4% of free agents actually re-sign with their old team after being allowed to enter free agency.

Baltimore has about 30 mil in cap space and a desperate need at WR since they cut Crabtree and Brown is a FA. They could also use help on the edge with Suggs and Smith headed for FA. So, if the market for Mosely truly hits 10-11 mil...I just don't see them squeezing all that in.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I read an article and cant remember where, but it showed that like 4% of free agents actually re-sign with their old team after being allowed to enter free agency.

Baltimore has about 30 mil in cap space and a desperate need at WR since they cut Crabtree and Brown is a FA. They could also use help on the edge with Suggs and Smith headed for FA. So, if the market for Mosely truly hits 10-11 mil...I just don't see them squeezing all that in.
    You said it Coach. It's possible for teams to keep a player - they just have to re-negotiate a new deal with him the off-season before his contract expires. A refusal to do that is a refusal to commit to the player long term.

The team may feel he'll want too much money and they don't want to spend that much on him, they might want to "wait and see" what develops, thinking that there won't be that much market on a player and that they'll be able to re-negotiate with him later without risking player injury.

Or they may simply think that they can get players to re-sign for below market price without re-doing their contracts a year early. Elway is in that camp. He keeps thinking that Denver is some kind of desirable destination for FA and that he can get them to come here below market.

That works if you have Peyton Manning, and some players decide to come here to win a SB at the end of their careers. DeMarcus Ware did that and Peyton restructured his contract to stay here in Denver his last year. Etc.

But, unless you've got Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Aaron Rogers at QB nobody is coming to play for your team and take less money. Denver is not any more enticing than 20 other places a top player could play. They'll take the money.

So, I doubt we see Mosley in Denver, or back in a Ravens uniform next season. He's going to want too much $.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

See what it takes to get Darron Lee, he’s not the player Todd Davis is but he’s the athlete Fangio wants.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

17. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I hope Davis has a prominent role next year and kicks major ass. Fangio would know what to do with him...hint: turning hips to chase a TE ain't it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:

I'm interested in KJ Wright on a "prove you can stay healthy" deal. Also interested in Rodney Gunter for DL depth

20. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    See what it takes to get Darron Lee, he’s not the player Todd Davis is but he’s the athlete Fangio wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I'm interested in KJ Wright on a "prove you can stay healthy" deal. Also interested in Rodney Gunter for DL depth
    i'm on board with both of these. . . still really want devin white, but i don't think he's gonna be there. . . wright is a stud if he's healthy, and lee was finally putting it together earlier this year. . . i think either one brings a more fangio-friendly skill set than the guys we currently have there. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information