Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Offensive Tackles in the 2019 Draft

Default Let's Talk Offensive Tackles in the 2019 Draft

There are 3 guys that have a chance to go high to mid first round. Jawaan Taylor, Jonah Williams, and Greg Little. Jawaan is my guy. I'll post more on him later. I think he'll show his athleticism at the combine and end up going in the 5-10 range.

Thoughts?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Every mock I've seen lists Williams as the top OT. That's not to knock Taylor or Little. I'm also interested in Andre Dillard who was a hit at the Senior Bowl and has often ranked in the second half of the first round in many drafts.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

4. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I highly doubt we go tackle in the first, and I really don't see any of them having top 10 talent anyway, so I'll look at next level guys...

Dalton Risner has to be up there, but I think he is best suited for RT.
    Yodny Cajuste would be a nice project, but I don't see us giving up on Bolles yet.
    I like the potential of Andre Dillard, but I think he needs some technique coaching before he is ready to be a starter
    Cody Ford is another guy that could be a really nice RT with help from Munchak
    Chuma Edoga is yet another that I think would be better on the right side due to his size and sloppy technique

Beyond this, the rest are projects. There are some nice ones that I think can be solid OL in 2-3 years, though.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

I just saw an article on Juwaan Taylor that says he won't be working out at the combine due to a mild hamstring strain. That sucks. I was really looking forward to seeing him move during the drills.

8. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I believe Risner can play 4 of the 5 OL spots at a very high level. Doubt he makes it to us in round 2, but I really want us to get him.

I love Ford too.

10. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Jonah Williams is a beast but there is worry he will measure with short arms....everything else screams first rd OT, and franchise stalwart, Jawan Taylor is a very good, but a bit raw, and has some learning to do....still will probably be a very solid NFL tackle. Same with Greg little, but he has some consistency and work ethic concerns. Cody ford is a beast but most likely will be a Guard or RT, but combine rumors are circling that he could be the 2nd OT taken since Taylor is banged up.

I expect now the first 4 to go like this:

Williams
    Ford
    Taylor
    Little
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    I believe Risner can play 4 of the 5 OL spots at a very high level. Doubt he makes it to us in round 2, but I really want us to get him.

I love Ford too.
    Risner would be great for us, but I feel we will have to trade up for him into late rd 1.

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

FWIW, I just did a Fanspeak mock using the CBSSports.com aggregate draft board and was offered a trade down from 10 to 18 with the Vikings, adding Minny's 2nd and 3rd rounders. When it got down to 18, Williams and Little were taken but all the other OLs were still there so I took Taylor then used a second-rounder on Daniel Jones of Duke who may be on our radar with his connections (hence the hoopla about Lock because we don't want to tip off who we really want). Five picks in the Top 100 was very useful since we have so many areas of need.

15. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Risner would be great for us, but I feel we will have to trade up for him into late rd 1.
    Hmm wonder if our seemingly valueless extra 4th would help us move up the board....freaking flacco

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Some outlets have Jonah Williams as a HOF potential Guard. The WSU OT is top 20 in a bunch of mocks and the Washington kid McGary is top 41 on Daniel Jeremiah's list and based on another article is flying up the boards.

18. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I think the best thing to do is get a 3rd-4th round project with starter traits, giving Bolles and couple seasons.

A lot of the best T’s in this class at RT’s, oddly enough, but Denver just signed a RT-only in James. Denver currently has zero depth at both T’s, making players like Risner and Ford ideal because they can start inside and move to RT and play well. Jawaan Taylor fits this scenario too, according to Walter Football, some believe he’ll eventually end up at G anyway.

I cringe at the thought of draft the WSU LT at 10, he’d be the 3rd-4th round project I was talking about but he won’t last beyond late 1st.

Lance Zierlein’s sleeper seems to be Joshua Miles, says he has elite traits but needs a few seasons to develop, coming from such low competition level.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Donald Penn just made himself available after the Raiders granted him his release. He's 35 and Gruden only wanted him as a backup. He was a Pro Bowler just a couple of years ago.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I think the best thing to do is get a 3rd-4th round project with starter traits, giving Bolles and couple seasons.

A lot of the best T’s in this class at RT’s, oddly enough, but Denver just signed a RT-only in James. Denver currently has zero depth at both T’s, making players like Risner and Ford ideal because they can start inside and move to RT and play well. Jawaan Taylor fits this scenario too, according to Walter Football, some believe he’ll eventually end up at G anyway.

I cringe at the thought of draft the WSU LT at 10, he’d be the 3rd-4th round project I was talking about but he won’t last beyond late 1st.

Lance Zierlein’s sleeper seems to be Joshua Miles, says he has elite traits but needs a few seasons to develop, coming from such low competition level.
    I'd cut the cord on Bolles ASAP. 10 cent head. Hard to coach that out of him. The idiotic holds and temper flare ups hurt the team
    Last edited by SmilinAssasSin27; 03-18-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Donald Penn just made himself available after the Raiders granted him his release. He's 35 and Gruden only wanted him as a backup. He was a Pro Bowler just a couple of years ago.

He is no longer a quality Tackle an was released because of that reason. I would pass on him.

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    I'd cut the cord on Bolles ASAP. 10 cent head. Hard to coach that out of him. The idiotic holds and temper flare ups hurt the team
    I don’t think that’s an option at this point, unless there’s an upgrade at 10.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information