Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Legendary Quarterback John Elway Can’t Figure Out Quarterbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Please see the above regarding how Keenum connected on more deep passes than Flacco last year. Stats suck because they are math. Not debatable.

I've been reading Baltimore sports articles lately and if you do, you would see how silly it is to assume Flacco owns the deep ball or spreads the field. It's actually kind of crazy how much the Denver media hypes this but has no clue. So we have no clue. To be clear: Flacco reeeeeaaaaaally sucked at deep ball completions last year. The fact that Keenum was better than him is not a good thing. Of course, his Oline sucked but if we are to say that Flacco can spread the defense effectively.....well, we really shouldn't say that actually.
    There's one big difference. Keenum was mobile. Flacco is an equestrian statue. So, the sucky OL affected Flacco more than Keenum. That's a big reason why Elway went out in FA and got a RT. I expect him to draft some OL as well. If they want to run the ball effectively and protect Flacco, they need a great OL. Right now the OL is about the same as last year - add James, lose Paradis. Net of zero.

A lot will depend on whether Garrett Bolles can be trained to stop holding on every play.

2. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    There's one big difference. Keenum was mobile. Flacco is an equestrian statue. So, the sucky OL affected Flacco more than Keenum. That's a big reason why Elway went out in FA and got a RT. I expect him to draft some OL as well. If they want to run the ball effectively and protect Flacco, they need a great OL. Right now the OL is about the same as last year - add James, lose Paradis. Net of zero.

A lot will depend on whether Garrett Bolles can be trained to stop holding on every play.
    Yeah Keenum can gain yardage with his feet, Flacco slides around inside the pocket fairly well or maybe used to and maybe he still does.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Lets face it. Case is serviceable but he was doomed to fail with an idiot head coach, a scared OC, and an offense crippled with injuries and no TE worth a shit.

The job was too big for him. I wish he does well in Wash and he may. But he wasn't big enough for the job in Den
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

5. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Lets face it. Case is serviceable but he was doomed to fail with an idiot head coach, a scared OC, and an offense crippled with injuries and no TE worth a shit.

The job was too big for him. I wish he does well in Wash and he may. But he wasn't big enough for the job in Den
    I think Keenum is a serviceable back up quarterback but not a starter. That aside, I wish him well in Washington.

7. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Well, he's going to wind up starting in Washington this year. Since Alex Smith might never play football again, his only competition is Colt McCoy. But, the Redskins are trying to tank for a QB. They suck so he's going to have a pretty bad season. Keenum on a totally solid team like the Vikings in 2017 is good and even won a playoff game. On a crappy team like the Broncos 2018, he sucked.

On a crappy Redskins team therefore he's doomed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Well, he's going to wind up starting in Washington this year. Since Alex Smith might never play football again, his only competition is Colt McCoy. But, the Redskins are trying to tank for a QB. They suck so he's going to have a pretty bad season. Keenum on a totally solid team like the Vikings in 2017 is good and even won a playoff game. On a crappy team like the Broncos 2018, he sucked.

On a crappy Redskins team therefore he's doomed.
    We had him throwing a lot more than he should have been. He passed for more yards than in 2017 but his completion% was at least 4 points lower. He was a solid contributing piece in Minnesota, but they didn't ask him to play beyond himself.

10. The Following User High Fived SmilinAssasSin27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    We had him throwing a lot more than he should have been. He passed for more yards than in 2017 but his completion% was at least 4 points lower. He was a solid contributing piece in Minnesota, but they didn't ask him to play beyond himself.
    At the beginning of the year that was true by the Lindsey started to take off he wasn't throwing that much.

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    At the beginning of the year that was true by the Lindsey started to take off he wasn't throwing that much.
    Game logs don't reflect that. It was pretty consistent all year. 2 of the last 3 games he passed 48 times. 2 lowest were 21 attempts, 1 early and 1 late. A lot of 30+attempt games.

Ironically enough he had 32 attempts or fewer in 4 of our 6 wins. The two 21 attempt games were wins. Also won games with 35 and 38 attempts.
    Last edited by SmilinAssasSin27; 03-21-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

I've said this about him before. He's not a upper echelon franchise quarterback. But if you have a good coordinator who builds the right system to fit him like Shurmur did that he can be effective. Bill Musgrave is from Grand Junction, and I know people that know him and I really feel like a big part of his problem this year was the fact that his father was on death's bed and then ended up dying during the season. His head just wasn't in it. Because historically he's built upper half of the league offenses.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Game logs don't reflect that. It was pretty consistent all year. 2 of the last 3 games he passed 48 times. 2 lowest were 21 attempts, 1 early and 1 late. A lot of 30+attempt games.

Ironically enough he had 32 attempts or fewer in 4 of our 6 wins. The two 21 attempt games were wins. Also won games with 35 and 38 attempts.
    But what you saying doesn't reflect that Denver was playing from behind quite a bit. I doubt it was by design. The only game I can think of for sure where we didn't play from behind was the game against the Cardinals.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Musgrave was a horrendous OC and was calling plays scared, amd Keenum played scared the 2nd half of the season. Recipe for disaster.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Musgrave was a horrendous OC and was calling plays scared, amd Keenum played scared the 2nd half of the season. Recipe for disaster.
    Just because a player isn't doing well doesn't mean they're playing scared. Keenum didn't play well but I don't see where he played scared.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Just because a player isn't doing well doesn't mean they're playing scared. Keenum didn't play well but I don't see where he played scared.
    The second half of the season down the stretch he was so afraid to throw downfield and take chances because he didn't want to throw INTs.

And at the same time, Musgrave didnt want to run the ball and commit like he should. Their constant insistence in 3 wide that they couldn't run? All **** ups.

It was almost McCoy 2.0

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

The second half of the season down the stretch he was so afraid to throw downfield and take chances because he didn't want to throw INTs.

And at the same time, Musgrave didnt want to run the ball and commit like he should. Their constant insistence in 3 wide that they couldn't run? All **** ups.

It was almost McCoy 2.0
    How do you know what plays were called? This sounds like an opinion not a fact.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

It was almost McCoy 2.0
    How do you know what plays were called? This sounds like an opinion not a fact.
    How many games did you watch last Season?

They were afraid. VJ said as much by saying they cant run the ball against a stacked box. Who says that?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information