Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elway-Mayor of Crazy Town

Elway built the SB championship team almost entirely through FA. Manning, Talib, Ward, Ware, Sanders, etc. But, he sucked bad at drafting, especially in the first & second round where teams normally find their best starters:

2014 first, second and third: Bradley Roby*, Cody Latimer*, Michael Schofield*; 2015: Shane Ray*, Ty Sambrailo*, Jeff Heurman*; 2016: Paxton Lynch*, Adam Gotsis, Justin Simmons*; 2017: Garrett Bolles, Demarcus Walker, Carlos Henderson*.

* Already Gone of Will Be Released This Off-Season.
    Eliminate the players who were cut or not re-signed this off-season: that leaves Walker, who can't get on the field and might not make the team, Gotsis, and Bolles out of the top 9 picks the last 3 years drafts.

That is why the Broncos suck. No depth because Elway screwed up the draft year after year. Last year was better but that cupboard was pretty barren, and it still is pretty thin. They could decide to re-sign Jeff Heurmann but we all hope not. They need a lot better than him.

2. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

No Cugel there were some important free agent that were apart of Super Bowl team, but is nowhere near accurate to say Denver won the Super with mostly free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    No Cugel there were some important free agent that were apart of Super Bowl team, but is nowhere near accurate to say Denver won the Super with mostly free agents.
    The Superbowl Season, yes. Demarcus Ware provided the necessary leadership on defense and Peyton did on offense. The minute both those guys left the team fell apart and fell to 5-11 and 6-10.

He is a H.O.F. QB and you would think that they would had been in that of picking QB's as GM. Really it is puzzling and surprising there.
    April Showers and Easter!

6. The Following User High Fived JPPT1974 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The Superbowl Season, yes. Demarcus Ware provided the necessary leadership on defense and Peyton did on offense. The minute both those guys left the team fell apart and fell to 5-11 and 6-10.
    The team fell apart because it didn't have a very good starting quarterback primarily but there were other contributing factors. Filling the void of a Hall of Famer in waiting is hard to do.

On the offensive side of ball Manning was the leader on the defensive side ball there were several vocal players and not all of them came to Denver via free agency.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 03-04-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
    He is a H.O.F. QB and you would think that they would had been in that of picking QB's as GM. Really it is puzzling and surprising there.
    I don't remember who was talking about it, maybe Stink... Former QB's tend to do better scouting defensive players as GM's, likely because they spend most of their time studying defenses and reading them. The same is true of defensive players scouting offensive players.

We just need to find a former safety to scout our QB's for us.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I don't remember who was talking about it, maybe Stink... Former QB's tend to do better scouting defensive players as GM's, likely because they spend most of their time studying defenses and reading them. The same is true of defensive players scouting offensive players.

We just need to find a former safety to scout our QB's for us.
    I've been saying that for years.

Just run the ball 30 times a game and live off playaction. Build up the defense so maybe we can squeak into the playoffs and hope we don't run into an offensive juggernaut. Then sell the farm to try to trade up for Lawrence because Elway can't find a QB to save his life. Hope and pray. Let's go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Elway is a good gm when he has Peyton Manning playing for him but every gm would be. It’s time he goes back to the steakhouses and dealerships, booze and choosing players who make multi millions doesn’t seem like it’s a good match.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Just run the ball 30 times a game and live off playaction. Build up the defense so maybe we can squeak into the playoffs and hope we don't run into an offensive juggernaut. Then sell the farm to try to trade up for Lawrence because Elway can't find a QB to save his life. Hope and pray. Let's go.
    This is why Musgrave was an epic failure. Even the OCs were terrible
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    This is why Musgrave was an epic failure. Even the OCs were terrible
    Well, when you have a weak armed coward QB no one has to respect the passing game, so running into a stacked box is awful. Keenum's so awful he entices you to throw it more because you can't run with him.

Unless your defense is elite. Which is why Minny ran the ball more than anyone else in the league with him, even though they only averaged 3.9 ypc.

God I hate Keenum. I hope he retires.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

15. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Bill was not right last year. He's always been in the top third of the league when it comes to offensive coordinators when given quality players. I'm speculating but I really think his dad's Health contributed to his inability to gameplan well last year. Because if you look at the rest of his career Musgraves offenses were always in the top third of the league

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Well, when you have a weak armed coward QB no one has to respect the passing game, so running into a stacked box is awful. Keenum's so awful he entices you to throw it more because you can't run with him.

Unless your defense is elite. Which is why Minny ran the ball more than anyone else in the league with him, even though they only averaged 3.9 ypc.

God I hate Keenum. I hope he retires.
    That's not fair. He's simply a backup QB, and proof of the Peter Principle.

A man who is successful in any organization will be promoted - until he reaches the level of his incompetence.

Case Keenum's level of incompetence is starting Qb. He was a backup in MN who got his chance as a starter because both Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford got injured. And he had a career season, like Joe Flacco in 2012 (although his career best obviously wasn't as good as Flacco's 2012 SB run).

He'll be fine and have a nice long career in the NFL as a backup QB, earning about $4-6m a year. He might even stay in Denver (Elway is discussing that with his agent).

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Elway built the SB championship team almost entirely through FA. Manning, Talib, Ward, Ware, Sanders, etc. But, he sucked bad at drafting, especially in the first & second round where teams normally find their best starters:

2014 first, second and third: Bradley Roby*, Cody Latimer*, Michael Schofield*; 2015: Shane Ray*, Ty Sambrailo*, Jeff Heurman*; 2016: Paxton Lynch*, Adam Gotsis, Justin Simmons*; 2017: Garrett Bolles, Demarcus Walker, Carlos Henderson*.

* Already Gone of Will Be Released This Off-Season.
    Eliminate the players who were cut or not re-signed this off-season: that leaves Walker, who can't get on the field and might not make the team, Gotsis, and Bolles out of the top 9 picks the last 3 years drafts.

That is why the Broncos suck. No depth because Elway screwed up the draft year after year. Last year was better but that cupboard was pretty barren, and it still is pretty thin. They could decide to re-sign Jeff Heurmann but we all hope not. They need a lot better than him.

I think Elway is headed back on the right track for the most part, questions still surround QB, but he saw the OL and CB and overall defense needs addressing, he fired a incompetent coaching staff and brought in a good one.....I was very happy with last draft, he stopped looking for raw potential and upside, and focused on players that have work ethic, are proven performers, have talent and love football.

Also if a draft pick contributes his rookie year contract and isn't a failure, I don't think you can consider the draft pick a failure cause they aren't with the team after 4 years. You might be able to say a guy like Roby didn't live up to his first rd. billing, but a lot of that was scheme, playtime and coaching. Lets say he did live up to it. Its doubtful we would be able to keep him anyway due to the cost for a starting CB in the NFL.

I will agree guys like Sambrillo, Shane ray and Carlos Henderson hurt, but then he also finds guys like Shaq barrett and Lindsay. The draft is a crapshoot. So its not as bad as everyone thinks.....We do have depth on this team. More then people realize. If our OC and Offensive staff knew how to use our strengths on offense last year and Keenum made that throw to DT against KC, or we didn't lose Sanders or Harris(our 2 biggest leaders), we would have been in the playoffs. That's with most of our current roster....

The sky isn't falling with regards to the draft. Flacco sucks, but maybe scags will turn out to be the QB whisperer we all hope he is.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

VJ is Elway's biggest blunder. I think with Fangio, if his Death by 1000 paper cuts mentality pans out and Scang can turn around this offense we'll see a competitve team that is nasty on D and efficient avoiding all those VJ mistakes.

If Flacco can avoid all thise 3 and Outs and has a semblence of a true running team, watch out AFC.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information