Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos To Release Brandon Marshall

Default Broncos To Release Brandon Marshall

Per Adam Schefter:

Adam Schefter
    ‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Broncos have notified LB Brandon Marshall that they are most likely not going to exercise his option and he will be a free agent on March 13, per source. One more LB to the free-agent mix.
    7:28 AM - 15 Feb 2019
    Josey Jewel's drafting made Marshall expendable. Another piece of SB 50 fades into history. He was a good player for a long time here, and played his role well.

Two things surprise me a little about this - one - he's been so vocal about wanting to stay a Bronco - I thought that's what JFE wanted? Second I'd think Fangio would want to keep all the pieces left.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

He really hasn't been good since the SB year.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    He really hasn't been good since the SB year.
    That's not fair. He's been the same player he always has been. He's a more traditional MLB type interior player in a league that has evolved to emphasizing TEs and WRs and RBs catching passes over the middle. The Broncos SB 50 team had Danny Trevathan who was great at coverage, and they still haven't replaced him. Brandon Marshall isn't and never was a great coverage player.

There's endless speculation that Vic Fangio might want Ravens FA LB CJ Mosley. I thought he was a good coverage LB but their local media is saying "not so much." He's 27 and could be a guy the Broncos would go after.

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    Two things surprise me a little about this - one - he's been so vocal about wanting to stay a Bronco - I thought that's what JFE wanted? Second I'd think Fangio would want to keep all the pieces left.
    They are letting him test free agency, he can still be resigned if he chooses, but it's not going to be at the higher rate us picking up his option would have given him. He's not for sure done as a Bronco, he's just done on his current contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    That's not fair. He's been the same player he always has been. He's a more traditional MLB type interior player in a league that has evolved to emphasizing TEs and WRs and RBs catching passes over the middle. The Broncos SB 50 team had Danny Trevathan who was great at coverage, and they still haven't replaced him. Brandon Marshall isn't and never was a great coverage player.

There's endless speculation that Vic Fangio might want Ravens FA LB CJ Mosley. I thought he was a good coverage LB but their local media is saying "not so much." He's 27 and could be a guy the Broncos would go after.
    Mosley's a very solid LB. He's better when paired with someone who is good in coverage. Jewel is good in coverage, Marshall? not as good... I've been banging the table for CJ all year, he'd be a good pickup if we could get him.

He has declined alot. I kinda wished we had kept Danny Trevathan instead of Marshall.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

9. The Following 5 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    They are letting him test free agency, he can still be resigned if he chooses, but it's not going to be at the higher rate us picking up his option would have given him. He's not for sure done as a Bronco, he's just done on his current contract.
    Probably Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Probably Rams.
    I'd say or Jaguars, but they didn't want him the first time which is how he ended up with us.

Could end up back here at a much lower cost.

Either way we still have to address Sanders, Harris Jr and Wolfes options. This helps narrow it down.

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Could end up back here at a much lower cost.

Either way we still have to address Sanders, Harris Jr and Wolfes options. This helps narrow it down.
    I think if he truly wants to return, that's what happens, he'll resign at a lower cost. Elway's taking gambles on a couple of players. Doing the same thing with Paradis, we may end up losing some of them.

I think Wolfe and Sanders are likely going to be shown the door personally.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

ILB has been a liability for two long, glad to see Elway and company finally making moves to get stronger here. Would LOVE to see Denver draft Devon White for this spot. Marshall will be at best a back up for another team next season.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

The Broncos specifically drafted Josey Jewell to replace Marshall. Jewell worked into the rotation last year and there's no reason to keep Marshall at a higher price when they are trying to shed salary cap room for other moves.

I'm not ripping the move to get rid of Marshall, this is one everybody could see coming ever since the 2018 draft.

I will miss him. Play declined, but he's a NFL starter and a good human being.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:

One down...who's next?

Leary? Wolfe? Stewart? Sanders? All four?

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information