Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Keenum ignoring draft talk, looks forward to improving under Fangio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Keenum ignoring draft talk, looks forward to improving under Fangio

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/c...ic-fangio-oc-r

DENVER — As April’s 2019 NFL Draft approaches, mock drafts will be debated and rumors around the quarterback position will continue to grow.

Just don’t expect Case Keenum to know that — or to care.

"When's the draft?” Keenum asked with a smile after attending Wednesday’s Colorado House of Representatives Business Committee hearing. “Sorry, I haven't looked at any draft boards yet. I know how much that changes and how that goes. My job is to get healthy and to get ready for this year. I'm not going to be paying too much attention to that right now especially."

After a season in which Keenum threw for 3,890 yards, 18 touchdowns and 15 interceptions and completed 62.3 percent of his passes, he said he’s more focused on the advice he’s gotten from his coaches on how to improve.

“It's not something that's affecting me and my preparation and how I'm ready to go as a football player and what my job is,” Keenum said. “It's not affecting my job. For me, I take more of what my coaches say and the meetings that we've had. I had a great meeting with John [Elway] at the end of the year and we've all got to be better. That's hands down what it comes down to. I was mad just like every other Broncos fan watching all these playoff games and us sitting at home. I feel the same way that we've all got to be better."

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I'm not surprise, eventually he was going to be asked and this is the kind of answer I would expect.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

One thing the Keenum detractors can't say about the guy is he's a clubhouse cancer. He says the right things. He's not a clubhouse Prima Donna like Roethlisberger has become, pointing fingers at everyone but himself. Keenum understands his situation and will try to be better but if it means mentoring a top draft pick to take his job, he'll swallow his pride and do it while waiting for another chance elsewhere. He's already gotten more out of his career than anyone could have possibly guessed.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

5. The Following 8 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    One thing the Keenum detractors can't say about the guy is he's a clubhouse cancer. He says the right things. He's not a clubhouse Prima Donna like Roethlisberger has become, pointing fingers at everyone but himself. Keenum understands his situation and will try to be better but if it means mentoring a top draft pick to take his job, he'll swallow his pride and do it while waiting for another chance elsewhere. He's already gotten more out of his career than anyone could have possibly guessed.
    the only thing i will say in defense of Ben is he's lead his team to 3 SB's and won 2. Manning did the same thing when throwing his Oline under the bus, when you have the kind of success those guys have had there is leeway given for that. While Keenum isnt a guy (that i know of) to throw his teammates under the bus he hasnt really done enough to even justify it if he did. Keenum throwing anyone under the bus would be far more foolish since his resume isnt that impressive to begin with.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Agreed. He's no cancer, he works hard but he's not the kind of quarterback that you want starting 16 games for you. I've never understood the literal hatred he gets just because he's not a great player. Imo it's a bit childish. I don't know how much better a quarterback who will 31 years old next season can get. That aside he's seems to be good guy to have around. If Denver does draft quarterback ( which fully expect they will). He seems like the the kind of guy who will try to help young players, unlike someone like Kyle Orton who was always jealous of younger players who could possibly take his job.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 02-08-2019 at 09:41 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Agreed. He's no cancer, he works hard but he's not the kind of quarterback that you want starting 16 games for you. I've never understood the literal hatred he gets just because he's not a great player. Imo it's a bit childish. I don't know how much better a quarterback who will 31 years old next season can get. That aside he's seems to be good guy to have around. If Denver does draft quarterback ( which fully expect they will). He seems like the the kind of guy who will try to help young players, unlike someone Kyle Orton who was always jealous of younger players who could possibly take his job.
    Or, dare I say, Jake Plummer?
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Or, dare I say, Jake Plummer?
    Oh oh.

Seriously, I was never given the impression that Plummer was jealous, but he certainly cracked under the pressure of Cutler being in Denver to eventually replace him.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 02-08-2019 at 09:31 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Oh oh.

Seriously, I was never given the impression that Plummer was jealous, but he certainly cracked under the pressure of Cutler being in Denver to eventually replace him.
    Or the fact that heimerdinger and Shanny set him up to fail when they quit moving the pocket like kubiak had.

13. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Agreed. He's no cancer, he works hard but he's not the kind of quarterback that you want starting 16 games for you. I've never understood the literal hatred he gets just because he's not a great player. Imo it's a bit childish. I don't know how much better a quarterback who will 31 years old next season can get. That aside he's seems to be good guy to have around. If Denver does draft quarterback ( which fully expect they will). He seems like the the kind of guy who will try to help young players, unlike someone like Kyle Orton who was always jealous of younger players who could possibly take his job.
    The question is no longer whether Case Keenum is a hard worker and general good guy. He is. He just isn't very good. Well, I wouldn't mind getting paid $38,000,000 for being below mediocre at my job! In that case, I would shut up and cash the checks. So, it would be remarkable in a bad way if he was causing problems in addition to throwing 15 picks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

I for one hope Case is the starter for 2019 and that scags does a far better job than Musgrave at scheming to Cases strengths. I don't see a viable and cost effective option currently in free agency and don't think Haskins will be there at 10. No other QB coming out in the draft this year is worth that 10 pick in my opinion.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    I for one hope Case is the starter for 2019 and that scags does a far better job than Musgrave at scheming to Cases strengths. I don't see a viable and cost effective option currently in free agency and don't think Haskins will be there at 10. No other QB coming out in the draft this year is worth that 10 pick in my opinion.
    While I personally don't think Keenum is the kind of guy want starting 16 games, until we see what happens in the draft he's the starter going into the season.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 02-07-2019 at 03:47 PM.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

I mean it's the right answer. Doesn't mean a lot, he's gonna likely end up replaced no matter what answers he gives.

20. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I mean it's the right answer. Doesn't mean a lot, he's gonna likely end up replaced no matter what answers he gives.
    I expect that Denver is going to draft a quarterback, but if they don't pick one until the 3rd round, I think his chance to keep the job go up exponentially.

22. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

I expect that Denver is going to draft a quarterback, but if they don't pick one until the 3rd round, I think his chance to keep the job go up exponentially.
    I think we're going to also bring in other QB's from FA/Trade on top of drafting a QB. I think Keenum's days are pretty numbered. Anytime John Elway says something like "Keenum is our starting QB.....for now" he's planning his demise as our starter.

24. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I think we're going to also bring in other QB's from FA/Trade on top of drafting a QB. I think Keenum's days are pretty numbered. Anytime John Elway says something like "Keenum is our starting QB.....for now" he's planning his demise as our starter.
    I didn't mention it, I agree there will be there will other quarterbacks on the besides one that is drafted and Keenum. Denver has generally carried three. Elway hasn't said that just yet that I'm aware of, but if or when does it's the kiss of death. I think much would have to do with where they draft a quarterback.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information