Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Mlb 2019

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Default Mlb 2019

Well, football is over (in disgusting fashion) but that's fine because that means spring is around the corner and Baseball, the greatest sport known to man, is close. As of this post pitchers and catchers report in 5 days. Woohoo!!!

Let's talk baseball.

P.S if a Mod sees this could you please change the title and capitalize MLB for me? That is going to bug the crap out of me.
    Last edited by chazoe60; 02-06-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I'll start with this

https://www.purplerow.com/2019/2/6/1...r-league-debut

What do you guys think of the idea of 3-batter minimum for relief pitchers and universal DH?

Adopted Bronco:

I don't have much to look forward to this season other than the #1 pick in the draft...and a season that will likely end with the #1 pick next year as well.

But...I disagree with the 3 batter minimum and I am fine with the DH in both leagues. The latter will happen eventually anyway.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

:subscribe:
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I'll start with this

https://www.purplerow.com/2019/2/6/1...r-league-debut

What do you guys think of the idea of 3-batter minimum for relief pitchers and universal DH?
    I don’t why they are being introduced, because I don’t think either will cut much time off the games. That said, at face value, I hate the 3-batter minimum and am indifferent to the universal DH.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I don't have much to look forward to this season other than the #1 pick in the draft...and a season that will likely end with the #1 pick next year as well.

But...I disagree with the 3 batter minimum and I am fine with the DH in both leagues. The latter will happen eventually anyway.
    I'm kinda old school when it comes to baseball. I don't like the 3-batter minimum thing. I have come to grips with universal DH because it's bound to happen and probably sooner rather than later. I will miss the strategic nuances that happen in the game without the DH though.

The Rockies will be helped by a DH, not gonna lie.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I'm kinda old school when it comes to baseball. I don't like the 3-batter minimum thing. I have come to grips with universal DH because it's bound to happen and probably sooner rather than later. I will miss the strategic nuances that happen in the game without the DH though.

The Rockies will be helped by a DH, not gonna lie.
    One of the things I like about the DH, that often goes unmentioned, is it allows aging players that can still hit to not only play longer and still help their team...but it allows them to stay with a team if the interest is mutual. The amount of roster turnover each year is one of the things I think hurts baseball when it comes to financials. I think fans are more likely to purchase the jersey of a retired player than that of a current player because who wants to spend $100 or $200 on something that might be irrelevant in a few months?

I think that's what defines the purist portion of me. Seeing a player be able to stay with his team longer is more important than watching the strategy of pinch hitting. Then again, I'm a fan of a franchise where most of our HoFers were with only our franchise for 20+ years, so maybe I'm spoiled by the past.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I don’t why they are being introduced, because I don’t think either will cut much time off the games. That said, at face value, I hate the 3-batter minimum and am indifferent to the universal DH.
    Why do you say they wouldn't shorten the game?

FTR, I think implementing rules solely to shorten the game is asinine, but it seems like these two things would do just that.
    Last edited by slim; 02-06-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Tigers are gonna suck. Maybe not as bad as the Orioles (sorry, Coach) but its gonna be bad
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Tigers are gonna suck. Maybe not as bad as the Orioles (sorry, Coach) but its gonna be bad
    No offense taken. The O's will be historically bad.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Your co-worker's son (If I recall the story correctly it was Hoffman) has a chance of being in the rotation this year for the Rockies. I read a story a couple of weeks ago that stated he's the favorite to win the 5th spot in the rotation.

13. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I despise the DH because it's like Managing For Dummies - write out 10 names and then sit on your ass the rest of the night.

If the two leagues need to have a unified rule regarding the DH, the best idea I've heard is to tie the DH to the starting pitcher. If you take out one, you take out the other. This allows the game to start like an AL game and end like an NL game with all the late inning strategy but without the pitcher hitting in the early innings so (God forbid) DH fans won't bitch about watching pitchers strike out when a well-paid aging slugger can strike out instead. This rule adds strategy rather than subtracting from it - do you keep that pitcher in longer so the DH gets up the next inning? Do you bat the DH lower in the lineup so your replacement isn't stuck in the heart of the lineup?

The starting pitchers will never hit and the relievers will only hit when a double-switch or a pinch-hitter isn't needed. Honestly, you'll rarely see it unless a bunt is needed or it goes deep into extra innings. The DH stays in the sport but their role is diminished so fielding-inept players like David Ortiz have less value than a guy who can actually play defense.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

15. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I wonder about the extent that groupthink has hit MLB in re: using pitchers. I know I'm partly guilty of nostalgia when I look back on complete games, at least from your Ace, and the new conventional wisdom is that pitchers are less effective after two times through the order, but I read a piece recently (can't remember where) talking about how with the truly great pitchers if you didn't get to them early forget it. Fernando Valenzuela was cited as a guy who statistically was often not so hot in the first inning but if he weathered that was usually OK for the duration and got better as the game went on. Same article cited Tom Seaver in '69 as having gotten into the 9th @ half the time, and during that entire season gave up zero runs in the 9th. Now we have teams carrying 13 pitchers on a 25 man roster.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

17. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I wonder about the extent that groupthink has hit MLB in re: using pitchers. I know I'm partly guilty of nostalgia when I look back on complete games, at least from your Ace, and the new conventional wisdom is that pitchers are less effective after two times through the order, but I read a piece recently (can't remember where) talking about how with the truly great pitchers if you didn't get to them early forget it. Fernando Valenzuela was cited as a guy who statistically was often not so hot in the first inning but if he weathered that was usually OK for the duration and got better as the game went on. Same article cited Tom Seaver in '69 as having gotten into the 9th @ half the time, and during that entire season gave up zero runs in the 9th. Now we have teams carrying 13 pitchers on a 25 man roster.
    I wonder if technology and training methods have helped people figure out how to maximize velocity but at the cost of arm injuries and longevity. Nolan Ryan had some games where he threw 200 pitches. Now-a-days it's extremely rare to see a guy throw 100 pitches. Part of it is the monetary investment in these guys makes clubs extremely careful with how they use them. I also wonder how much of it is that seemingly every starting pitcher throws 95+ now.

19. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Why do you say they wouldn't shorten the game?

FTR, I think implementing rules solely to shorten the game is asinine, but it seems like these two things would do just that.
    The average game time in the AL is 15 seconds shorter.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information