Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How the Patriots' defense stymied Sean McVay in Super Bowl LIII

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default How the Patriots' defense stymied Sean McVay in Super Bowl LIII

ATLANTA -- The NFL plans, Bill Belichick laughs.

The future of football is offense, we've all been told for months. NFL scoreboards spent September, October and November like a pinball machine on tilt as innovative coaches and favorable rule changes laid waste to the offensive record books and sent a half-dozen teams scurrying to hire clones of Rams coach Sean McVay.

Then, Sunday night, came Super Bowl LIII, in which Belichick's New England Patriots throttled McVay's high-scoring Los Angeles Rams 13-3 to win the lowest-scoring Super Bowl of all time. It was Belichick's sixth Super Bowl title as a head coach to go with the two he won as a defensive coordinator. That it came against McVay and the 11th-highest-scoring team in NFL history sent a message that defense isn't dead after all. And who better to send such a message than the all-time coaching master who was already a defensive mastermind way back when McVay was still in diapers.
    rest - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...uper-bowl-liii

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

We should all be very thankful that the Broncos went with a defensive-minded HC (who by all accounts is damn good at schemes) instead of one of the "up and coming" or "offensive innovators".

People always say that the superstar offensive player "so-and-so" will be figured out eventually, and rendered ineffective. Why? Because the defensive masterminds have the upper hand and adapt to changes in the offensive schemes.

#Sundaywasproof

4. The Following 8 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    We should all be very thankful that the Broncos went with a defensive-minded HC (who by all accounts is damn good at schemes) instead of one of the "up and coming" or "offensive innovators".

People always say that the superstar offensive player "so-and-so" will be figured out eventually, and rendered ineffective. Why? Because the defensive masterminds have the upper hand and adapt to changes in the offensive schemes.

#Sundaywasproof
    To be fair VJ is a DC. Just saying.....

6. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yeah, well... history/accomplishment matters. VJ was a huge mistake. I like the dude, but he was a joke as HC and DC.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    He was for one year and he failed at it
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

10. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    He was for one year and he failed at it
    I'm still trying to figure out what Elway saw in him.

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Default How the Patriots' defense stymied Sean McVay in Super Bowl LIII

By recording the Ram's practices?

14. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what Elway saw in him.
    Yeah, me too. Terrible decision by #7

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51182258_2351197648260243_1760955265877803008_n.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	13665
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

17. The Following 5 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Defense.

Wins.

Championships.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Scores of the two Super bowls prior to this:

41-33
    34-28

Top 4 offenses in 2018: Chiefs, Saints Rams, Pats

Y'all get too hung up on one game. Yes, it's great to have an awesome defense, but the league is trending more and more toward having a great offense being needed to win.

That said, I'm glad we hired Fangio instead of the 6th best offensive coach on the market, but if he doesn't put a solid offense in place, we probably aren't going to be competing for many championships.

21. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post

41-33
    34-28

Y'all get too hung up on one game. Yes, it's great to have an awesome defense, but the league is trending more and more toward having a great offense being needed to win.

That said, I'm glad we hired Fangio instead of the 6th best offensive coach on the market, but if he doesn't put a solid offense in place, we probably aren't going to be competing for many championships.
    Speaking of getting hung up on one game... I remember everyone saying that the Chiefs vs Rams game was a sign of things to come with teams battling to 50+ in a show of offensive firepower. Then the same thing that happens every year happens in the playoffs. The game slows down, butt cheeks are clenched, and the defense and run games come out to play. Aside from the Chiefs and Pats I don't think two teams playing each other scored over 30 points each in this years playoffs. To me it seems like you need to light it up in the regular season on offense, slow it down for the playoffs, then be balanced to win the Super Bowl. That being said, I am curious to see what another Rams/Chiefs match-up would've looked like in the Super Bowl.

23. The Following 5 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Defense.

Wins.

Championships.

41-33
    34-28

Yea, i was going to point out last year's SB but even in that game the Eagles haggled Brady enough to stop them from winning. Even in the SB against GB Denver's defense did just enough to stop Favre and the Packers even though our offense did the heavy lifting. Its a tough argument to be had which i still think it all comes down to the QB The Foles, Diflers, Johnsons, are generally an out lier and not the norm when it comes to the SB champions. Even Manning who was dogshit in 2015 became the winner over Newton who while ok is not really considered one of the NFL's best.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm not saying it's not valuable to have a good defense. I just think in general, having a great offense and a decent enough defense is going to take you further than having a great defense and a decent enough offense. There are obviously exceptions, like our 2015 team, but in general, I'd rather have an elite offense and a decent enough defense to just get enough stops here and there to win.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I'm not saying it's not valuable to have a good defense. I just think in general, having a great offense and a decent enough defense is going to take you further than having a great defense and a decent enough offense. There are obviously exceptions, like our 2015 team, but in general, I'd rather have an elite offense and a decent enough defense to just get enough stops here and there to win.
    I wont debate that too much, i think a lot of the Rams issues were lack of experience from the HC to the QB. If the Pats had faced a guy like Payton and Brees i think we see an entirely different type of game. Pats may have still won but i think the scoring would have been a lot different.

27. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information